Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very good info !

Old 08-31-2013, 02:59 AM
Cuz
Originally Posted by dmkramer
Yes, the LED strip actually touches the inside face of the reflector, very tight fit. Its flush with the back were I put the tape. Some people don't use anything on the back & just sandwich it with the back of the reflector encasement/housing. Just for a little extra protection from the elements & peace of mind, I used the black Gorilla tape. It is awesome stuff. It is industrial strength. Very very sticky & very thick. there is no movement / rattling what-so-ever. I am confident no dust or moisture will get in there.
Gotcha. And you're correct on that tape. I use it for multiple things around the ranch and its some GOOD stuff! Also as useful as zip-ties! Haha
Anyway, thanks for the help. I'm going to try this in the next week or two. I might be PM'ing you.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:29 AM
does anyone know if doing this will void any warranty that is left on the vehicle?
thanks

Old 09-18-2013, 10:18 AM
The only warranty that would be affected would be the mirror assembly, and the electrical circuit related to the mirror turn signals.

In other words if your rear differential starts whining, they aren't going to point at your mirror mods and deny warranty. =)

Old 09-18-2013, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by ajsturtz
The only warranty that would be affected would be the mirror assembly, and the electrical circuit related to the mirror turn signals.

In other words if your rear differential starts whining, they aren't going to point at your mirror mods and deny warranty. =)
ok thanks for the info

Old 09-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This way seems much easier. I had read one way on here but the poster toook the mirror out of the housing to do it and that just scares me doing that myself. I have been putting it off but i think now i will bite the bullett and get it done. Thanks for the write up!

Old 09-18-2013, 12:11 PM

Looks good, good write up! I don't have reflectors on my older mirror housing, but I'd probably do this if I did

Old 09-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by dmkramer
What a great site forum!!! Once again I found this mod on here. It was cheap and greatly improved the look and functionality. Thanks. Here is my version of the "Mirror Reflector Blinker Mod".

Started by popping the reflector out with a small flathead screwdriver. Make sure you do the outside edge 1st or you will break off the tab that secures the reflector.

Then using same screwdriver pop off the puddle light blank to exspose the wires that are powering the rear facing mirror blinker, those are what I tapped into to power the new blinker.

Next I used a sharpie and traced an outline of the 6 point LED strip onto the back of the reflector. $14.00 at Auto Zone. I used white. Using a razor/drywall knife I cut out the outline.

I didn't like like the reflector orange so I painted them with 2 coats of "Night Shades" tinting spray paint, and 3 coats of "Clear Coat"

I used the 3 layer Gorilla Tape for the backing. This stuff is incredibly strong, tough & thick. twice as sticky & twice as thick as your regular duct tape.

Used the red inline wire splicers. Wrapped up with gorilla tape, put the blank cover back in. All done and very easy to do.

Thanks again to a great forum. There is a wealth of knowledge here.
This is the finished product. I will get a few pics tonight to show how it looks in the dark.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:35 AM
I used Dupli-Color Perfect Match Clear Coat. Got it from Auto Zone. The link below is what I used.
http://buyliveshop.com/images/41w8huezp9l.jpg

Old 10-22-2013, 03:03 PM
This was the first mod on did on my truck just a couple months ago! I suggest using an epoxy instead of tape though, it will last longer and the reflector will fit back into the mirror better. I also notched the mirror housing for the LED cables so they wouldn't be pinched after the reflector was popped back in... If nothing else, this mod is worth the time spent tinting those awful orange reflectors!

Old 11-14-2013, 07:00 PM
I cant seem to find a hole to run my wires from the reflector through the mirror to the existing blinker wires. Did yall have to cut one?

Old 11-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Matt60
I cant seem to find a hole to run my wires from the reflector through the mirror to the existing blinker wires. Did yall have to cut one?
I slipped them through one of the back 2 holes for the reflector. You might also need to pop the mirror off and take the housing apart. Might not be able to get enough wire out the puddle light hole to tap into the front facing strip

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 11-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Like FX4Matt said, I took my whole mirror and housing apart. The extra room made running the cables and crimping much easier. I also notched the reflector tab hole, the one farthest from the truck, just enough for the cable to sit in without being pinched by the reflector once re-installed. Good Luck!

Old 11-18-2013, 01:48 PM

Mayb i missed it. Where did u buy the led strips? Autozone too?

Old 11-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by speedstang
Mayb i missed it. Where did u buy the led strips? Autozone too?
I bought mine at Walmart. Set of 8" ones. Granted I'm in Canada, but that's where I got them

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Quick Reply: Mirror Reflector Blinker Mod W/Pics