2009 - 2014 F-150

Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Problems

So today I was merging on the highway and got on the throttle probly alittle more than half and the truck started to shutter. I let off the gas and it stop but now if I get over about a 1/4 throttle it starts to shutter again. If I drive slow keep it under 2000 rpm its fine. When I got home I put It In park and reved It to 3000 rmp with no Issue I disconneted the battery for about 15 min hoping it would reset but it didnt seem to help. Whats the issue here And how long do you have to have the battery disconneted for it to reset? I drive a 2011 ecoboost with about 26000 miles.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Ok so I disconected the battery for several hours and then went for a drive. I dont feel like it is the tranny because when going up a hill I held it steady at about 2000 rmp and I watched the rmps very about 200 rpms and it was making a noise like there was something wrong with the turbos. Any ideas?

Old 10-02-2013, 11:09 PM
Suspended
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Lock it in 4th 4a while. See if it clears condensation from the cac. Cool damp mornings?

Old 10-03-2013, 12:23 AM

It's still under full warranty isn't it? I'd take it to the dealer, man

Old 10-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
have you had the intercooler tsb done at the dealership?

Old 10-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Papa tiger can you explain alittle more what should be done? And yes we have been getting rain lately with cooler mornings

And yes it is still under warranty im going to drop it off this afternoon and I dont know if the intercooler has been replace. Does this sound like a intercooler issue?

Old 10-03-2013, 12:18 PM
This definitely sounds like it could be the intercooler TSP

Your intercooler is probably collecting a little condensation. Then when you get on the throttle it sucks the moisture into the engine and stumbles a bit (water doesn't burn too well)

Like others said - take it into the dealer and explain the problem. They will do the TSB. (Don't take No for an answer)

Old 10-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by mkosu04
This definitely sounds like it could be the intercooler TSP

Your intercooler is probably collecting a little condensation. Then when you get on the throttle it sucks the moisture into the engine and stumbles a bit (water doesn't burn too well)

Like others said - take it into the dealer and explain the problem. They will do the TSB. (Don't take No for an answer)
OP listen to him, everything he said is 100 percent right

Old 10-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
OP listen to him, everything he said is 100 percent right
One of those phrases you never get tired of hearing!

Old 10-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Ok so I got my truck back from the dealer yesterday and they told me my truck was getting to much air. So why would my truck not have an issue for 26000 miles the suddenly have a problem with getting to much air?

So they ordered a sheild to reduce the air flow. Isnt the sheild the first attempt by ford fix the intercooler problem?

Last edited by Matt60; 10-06-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matt60
Ok so I got my truck back from the dealer yesterday and they told me my truck was getting to much air. So why would my truck not have an issue for 26000 miles the suddenly have a problem with getting to much air?

So they ordered a sheild to reduce the air flow. Isnt the sheild the first attempt by ford fix the intercooler problem?
Yep, and technically it should reduce performance as you are blocking off a section of the intercooler, to limit cooling. The condensation is a byproduct of the very efficient cooling it does.

I just don't understand why Ford doesn't redesign the intercooler with a bleed hole or separator, or different design so that it doesn't do this. Other performance intercoolers used with the Ecoboost don't have this issue.

I would think all the labor expense on failing band aids would surely be much higher than the expense of using a different intercooler design to actually fix the problem.

My concern wouldn't be the shuttering, if it's not a safety risk. It would be damage to the catalytic converters and even the engine itself.

If it were me, I would demand a warranty extension for future issues caused by this. They usually will allow the 75,000 mile/5 year warranty with $100 deductible. Not much more than the standard 60,000 mile/5 year warranty, but something none the less.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:50 PM
Isnt this sheild the first fix that ford tried but it didnt really work so they started replacing the intercoolers?

Also what kind power loss am I looking at here?

Old 10-10-2013, 11:46 PM
Suspended
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I would stop disconnecting the battery. It can cause so many relearning and extra tests on the puter. This condensation thing is due to dew point and humidity in certain parts of the country and conditions at certain times of the day and road necessities. Probably the downshift and High RPM requirements. Running a higher RPM during these conditions may alleviate condensate in the CAC in a more timely fasion when U don't have to have the power right now. Shutters operated by the puter are probably the only real cure for the thing happening in certain dew point conditions. There are a lot of other things, bad torque converters, and bad Catz are an example of some Ford call backs. I would definitely hang tight on this and do more warranty along with following the other suggestions offered here on the thread. When U get this problem it doesn't go away for most owners until ? There have been a lot of threads all over the internet about the 11 ta 12 EB's and some have had some real harrowing experiences with trans malfs at expressway speeds. I would take it serious at this time. U can go to a web site and check for Dew point conditions in UR area. It doesn't have to be raining, it can actually be quite warm and humid as all get out and still be at the dew point. I have actually pulled my air filter and seen a rusty water line in the bottom of it up about an inch from the bottom. Never saw water standing in the filter box though, just know water does get even into there.

Last edited by papa tiger; 10-11-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:31 PM
Update: Took my truck back in last Thursday after they received the shield to be installed. Friday I get a call and they said that there is a misfire on cylinder 5. They replaced the spark plug, coil pack, and injector, the tech said when he would power break it there was no issue but with harsh acceleration the truck would begin to shutter again. I was then told that they would not be able to get with Ford until Monday to see if they could fix the problem. So today they call me, and say they are going to tear down the top part of the engine and it was going to be at least Thursday before they are able to get it apart and see what the issue is.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Matt60
Update: Took my truck back in last Thursday after they received the shield to be installed. Friday I get a call and they said that there is a misfire on cylinder 5. They replaced the spark plug, coil pack, and injector, the tech said when he would power break it there was no issue but with harsh acceleration the truck would begin to shutter again. I was then told that they would not be able to get with Ford until Monday to see if they could fix the problem. So today they call me, and say they are going to tear down the top part of the engine and it was going to be at least Thursday before they are able to get it apart and see what the issue is.

Check this out,

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pu...sb13-03-03.pdf

Instead of tearing into your engine maybe they should look at
the newest tsb and replace everything it says to along with the Cat on the drivers side.. Maybe you should print it out and take it to the tech.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problems