2009 - 2014 F-150

FX4 Taste, STX Budget (STX owners please chime in)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 09:21 AM
WFO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1.Start your search a couple weeks before the end of the month.
2.Pick the truck you want off the lot and ask for their best out the door quote.
3. Refuse the first offer and tell them you are going to shop around.
4.Request quotes from other dealers in your area for the identical specs of the truck.
5. Let all the dealers bid against themselves for your business.
6. Let the offers roll in and keep telling them they can do better.
7. Take the best deal

Old 10-12-2013, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by NASSTY
I did the same to my 06 XLT... PTM bumpers, Harley head and taillights. My grill surround was already black so I didn't have to get that PTM'd.
I was going to go the same route when I got my 2011 until I realized that a stripped down FX4 didn't cost much more than a similarly equipped XLT(4x4 Scab, Eco w/3.73's). I figured by the time I had the bumpers and grill surround PTM'd and bought Harley head and tail lights the cost would be about the same as a stripped down FX4. The problem is it's hard to find stripped down FX4's on the lots so I ordered mine. I never liked leather seats anyway so cloth seats were on my list of needs. Anywho with rebates and discounts I paid $32,500 plus tax and title so it was a little over $35k out the door. The MSRP on the similarly equipped XLT was only $2k cheaper but I would have spent a good chunk of that $2k on PTMing the bumpers and grill and buying Harley heads and tails. With an XLT I probably would have had to get different wheels too but I like the FX 20's enough that I decided that I'd run them for a few years or until I got sick of them. It's been over 2.5 years and I'm not sick of them yet. The MSRP on my FX4 could have been cheaper than it was but I opted for the Ecoboost ($750) and 20" wheels ($750).
That makes complete sense and sounds about right. I think the biggest problem is finding a stripped down FX4. But I'd certainly pay 32.5k for one, that's an awesome deal on a 4wd.

If you don't mind, did you buy new bumpers, get used painted ones and have them painted to match, or strip the chrome and paint over it on the stock bumpers?

Old 10-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
That makes complete sense and sounds about right. I think the biggest problem is finding a stripped down FX4. But I'd certainly pay 32.5k for one, that's an awesome deal on a 4wd.

If you don't mind, did you buy new bumpers, get used painted ones and have them painted to match, or strip the chrome and paint over it on the stock bumpers?
On my 06... a local body shop sandblasted the chrome off and painted my bumpers. I removed and reinstalled the bumpers to save some $$. Below is a pic of my old 06 Roush Champions Edition XLT. The Champions Edition was just an appearance pkg. that was only available in New England in early 06. It came with Roush 20's, Roush grill and special badging and had a stock 5.4. I sold it to someone in town so I usually see it a couple times a week.

Name:  newpics116Medium-2.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  79.2 KB

Old 10-12-2013, 09:26 PM
I'm happy with my STX, though mine is truly one of the "basic" ones. There are all sorts of options. You don't have to drive a truck with vinyl floors and seats anymore.

If I remember correctly, someone posted the options for the 2014's. I think that there are a lot of options for the 2014 STX.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by NASSTY
On my 06... a local body shop sandblasted the chrome off and painted my bumpers. I removed and reinstalled the bumpers to save some $$. Below is a pic of my old 06 Roush Champions Edition XLT. The Champions Edition was just an appearance pkg. that was only available in New England in early 06. It came with Roush 20's, Roush grill and special badging and had a stock 5.4. I sold it to someone in town so I usually see it a couple times a week.
That looks great! I didn't know they even had an edition like that. I've been wondering if blasting the chrome off would let the paint stick sufficiently. I know it doesn't if you paint right over it with only a scuff! I would take them off myself too. The only thing I'm considering is grabbing a 4wd/FX4 bumper with some fog lights and having that painted - I like them much better. Yours looked to have an FX2 type one, don't know that I've ever seen one that was chrome with that lip on it. I still can't decide if I want PTM bumpers or wait and get steel ones with a lift . . . Either way, I'm done thread-jacking now! My questions did contribute though, I think, so I don't know if it counts as a thread-jacking haha.

Thanks again for the info!

Old 10-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nihilus
oh and lastly,

XLT= grandpa
Lariat = grandpa with money
Platinum= grandpa with TOO much money

STX= Cool guys
FX4= Cool guys with money
RAPTOR= Cool guys with TOO much money

XL = Work Oriented Guy who wants a functional truck with no features (work truck)
XLT = Cool Guy who wants a functional truck with some features
RAPTOR = Cool Guy whose only care is to Off Road with limited work functionality
Lariat = Older Guy who wants a fancy truck, but with limited functionality
Platinum= Rich Guy who wants a Luxury truck with no truck functionality

STX = Young Punk who wants a truck to look like a sports car
FX4 = Young Punk with money who wants a truck to look like a sports car

Of course there's always the stragglers that don't fit into the groups above.

Last edited by Mike Up; 10-13-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:44 PM

^
*RAPTOR = Dbag (who's never owned a truck before) and has no intention of using it
FX2* = Young Punk with money who wants a truck to look like a sports car

Old 10-14-2013, 12:25 AM
I definitely appreciate all the pointers. After reading through all of this, it occurred to me that I don't really know what I actually want, haha. I'm so used to my truck that I don't know which direction to go. Everything's so different now. I do know that whatever I get, I'll probably keep for a decade, so I've got to be picky.

I guess with all the time I spend in murky water at the boat ramp, and toting my hairy dog around with me, the rubber floors might be a good thing. Crew cabs are cool, but I don't really have a need for a crew cab (the dog never complains about legroom), so the STX wouldn't be holding me back in that department. I've seen a few STXs referred to as the "decor" package. Is this the high-end package for the STX? I'd be interested in the e-locker as well. Maybe add some FX4 fender flares and call it a day.

At this point I suppose I need to drive each of them and feel it out. I guess I'll start looking now, and aim for November. Thanks guys, keep the info coming.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:07 AM
stx without decor is basically an xl. get the decor for sure. it is a good value. Locking rear end might be a bit tougher to find with an stx on the lots. Eqsier to spot on xlts as they have an off road decal

Old 10-14-2013, 01:32 AM
Love my stx. It's a great truck. It does what I need it to do. It's pretty basic. No power locks or windows, granted it was a company truck before I bought it, but it has carpeted floors, armrest w/ built in cup holders, Sirius/xm, etc. it's a good truck, yeah you don't get as many of the bells and whistles of the xlt's or FX4's and so on. Like stated before though, you can definitely get a "loaded" stx and they're nice. But it comes down to what you want and like best! Good luck and happy shopping!

Old 10-14-2013, 02:00 AM
Originally Posted by Nihilus
stx without decor is basically an xl. get the decor for sure. it is a good value. Locking rear end might be a bit tougher to find with an stx on the lots. Eqsier to spot on xlts as they have an off road decal

Check this out:

New 2013 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab
$26,999

5.0, 4x4, Decor package, SYNC, steering wheel media controls, and e-locker. And well below my price cap. Other new STXs with fewer options are $30k. Still has the stupid blank center armrest, but I'm wondering if I could swap that out.

Now if only it wasn't white... But that's not necessarily a deal breaker.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:10 AM
Definitely a good looking truck. I'd buy it, but it's not me looking to buy either. Haha. I don't know why you couldn't do a simple swap. I believe they're mounted onto the same style bracket.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:13 AM

That looks like a pretty nice truck to me, and it has everything I'd want/ be concerned with having (including carpeted floors) and all the extras. Looks great on the exterior and the wheels look really nice. I love the white though

Old 10-14-2013, 06:19 AM
Last year when I was buying a F150 the dealer had STX's with carpet and without. It was around $500 for carpet I think.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Mike Up
FX4 = Young Punk with money who wants a truck to look like a sports car
Come on Mike, be nice.... Although I am young haha.

Quick Reply: FX4 Taste, STX Budget (STX owners please chime in)