2009 - 2014 F-150

FX4 Taste, STX Budget (STX owners please chime in)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Up
XL = Work Oriented Guy who wants a functional truck with no features (work truck)
XLT = Cool Guy who wants a functional truck with some features
RAPTOR = Cool Guy whose only care is to Off Road with limited work functionality
Lariat = Older Guy who wants a fancy truck, but with limited functionality
Platinum= Rich Guy who wants a Luxury truck with no truck functionality

STX = Young Punk who wants a truck to look like a sports car
FX4 = Young Punk with money who wants a truck to look like a sports car

Of course there's always the stragglers that don't fit into the groups above.
STX= People that really don't like chrome.
FX4= People that really don't like chrome but have money.
Raptor = People that really don't like chrome and have too much money.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Silverfish
Last year when I was buying a F150 the dealer had STX's with carpet and without. It was around $500 for carpet I think.
And which did you go for?

Old 10-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by JohnBoy88
Check this out:

New 2013 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab
$26,999

5.0, 4x4, Decor package, SYNC, steering wheel media controls, and e-locker. And well below my price cap. Other new STXs with fewer options are $30k. Still has the stupid blank center armrest, but I'm wondering if I could swap that out.

Now if only it wasn't white... But that's not necessarily a deal breaker.
27k? that is a steal! The white is actually pretty slick looking. I feel a bit of buyers remorse after this. Definately look into it if you are close by.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:14 AM
And which did you go for?
I went with vinyl. Why spend all that money on floor mats to protect your carpet?

Old 10-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Silverfish
I went with vinyl. Why spend all that money on floor mats to protect your carpet?
Yea, I hate carpet.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by Nihilus
27k? that is a steal! The white is actually pretty slick looking. I feel a bit of buyers remorse after this. Definately look into it if you are close by.
Dang, it's two hours south of me. For that price, I could live with the white.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:12 AM

Dang, it's two hours south of me. For that price, I could live with the white.
Time to hop on it Sonny Boi! Just kidding, cause there will be more deals when the time comes, but 2 hours isn't too far. I drove an hour to get mine and had to bring it home, have it checked out, then make 2 more trips up there before I kept it

Old 10-16-2013, 10:00 PM
Bought a 2013 STX regular cab 4x4 with 5.0, limited slip two months ago. Very happy with it. Has most every available option except for My Ford Touch which I did not want. Including carpet - which is available, albeit black. The truck is quiet at 80 mph and with 2,500 miles on it - getting 20 mpg over 300 mile high altitude trips. According to registration, it weighs 4,800 pounds even with the V-8 and 4X4 - hundreds of pounds under the longer wheelbase trucks.

Be sure and pull the head rest from the center console seat area - makes a big difference on being happy with the set-up. The XLT center console area was the only thing I wanted over the STX and removing the head rest makes a lot of difference. Simply could not warm up to all the chrome on the XLT.

In my opinion, to the average person, the STX - especially in the sterling gray metallic - looks very much like a FX-4. We like it and it rides very nice too with a fiberglass shell and some weight in the rear.

This truck was $24,800 out the door with the generous August rebates and a dealer discounting below invoice.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by cheri/ck
Bought a 2013 STX regular cab 4x4 with 5.0, limited slip two months ago. Very happy with it. Has most every available option except for My Ford Touch which I did not want. Including carpet - which is available, albeit black. The truck is quiet at 80 mph and with 2,500 miles on it - getting 20 mpg over 300 mile high altitude trips. According to registration, it weighs 4,800 pounds even with the V-8 and 4X4 - hundreds of pounds under the longer wheelbase trucks.

Be sure and pull the head rest from the center console seat area - makes a big difference on being happy with the set-up. The XLT center console area was the only thing I wanted over the STX and removing the head rest makes a lot of difference. Simply could not warm up to all the chrome on the XLT.

In my opinion, to the average person, the STX - especially in the sterling gray metallic - looks very much like a FX-4. We like it and it rides very nice too with a fiberglass shell and some weight in the rear.

This truck was $24,800 out the door with the generous August rebates and a dealer discounting below invoice.
Sounds like a great all around truck!

Old 10-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Yes, it is a good all around truck. We live at high altitude in NM and our driveway is a challenge in the winter. Not to speak of narrow, tight, winding roads that may not be plowed. The short wheel base (same as an extended cab Ranger) makes a difference.

These short-bed, regular cab F-150's turn on a dime and park easily anywhere. There is some room behind the front seats, but with a shell on the rear, it doesn't matter for storage - the dog is happy back there. And, we are happier with her back there.

Should have mentioned that my pricing includes the $1,500 Ranger loyalty rebate that was in effect two months ago. All in all, the best deal on a new truck that we have made in a long time.

And, now that the new Tremor is coming out on this same regular cab chassis. Guess it will have another higher priced look-a-like.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Time to hop on it Sonny Boi! Just kidding, cause there will be more deals when the time comes, but 2 hours isn't too far. I drove an hour to get mine and had to bring it home, have it checked out, then make 2 more trips up there before I kept it
Ha, yeah I'm just going to have to be patient. How do you like your crew cab? I've been driving my dad's 2011 supercrew this weekend and it's pretty sweet, but I must admit I think I still prefer the look of the extended cab. I do wonder if I'm gonna regret not getting the extra cab space.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:14 PM

Ha, yeah I'm just going to have to be patient. How do you like your crew cab? I've been driving my dad's 2011 supercrew this weekend and it's pretty sweet, but I must admit I think I still prefer the look of the extended cab. I do wonder if I'm gonna regret not getting the extra cab space.
That's best, just gotta do it when it's the right time. I love my super crew! The 09+ body style super crews dwarf mine with rear space though, it's a huge difference. The 09+ extended cabs are fine on space and should be larger than your current truck. So if you're fine with your current one and like the looks better, go for it because you'll be happy with a new one like it. I prefer the looks of short bed super crews personally. I just don't care for having to open the front door to open the back door. One thing Toyota's done right is each door having it's own exterior handle. NO idea why others haven't picked up on that.

Just another thing to chew on, the 2014 STX trim level has super crew available as an option. I don't remember when we're expecting that to come out, but it's likely what I would be getting if I were getting a new truck. I'd be after the cheapest super crew with a "fancy" exterior that has power doors and locks, that's what's important to me. Well and the 5.0 of course!

Last edited by KMAC0694; 10-18-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:05 PM
We got our 2013 STX 4x4 extended cab on 09-31-13. The rebate was pretty good.

Ours has the rubber floor and I have to admit that so far I love it. The truck is really quiet on the road. We're just going to get a few decent floor mats and run with it the way it is. I'm actually starting to prefer it over carpet.

The lack of a center console sucks... allot. However, I plan on trying to get my hands on a decent console out of a wrecked truck and swapping it into the truck in place of the weird jump seat thing that's currently between the two front bucket seats. There is a very small storage bin under the jump seat and a cup holder slides forward out of the bottom of it. That being said, it's a PITA to get my mug in and out of that damned thing while driving if I have the back of the seat folded down as an armrest.

There was one other STX 4x4 on the lot and it had an electronically locking rear diff. I passed on that one because I needed a bedliner and ours had the spray in liner from the factory. We're going to upgrade the tires soon with much better ones and eventually I can add a locker if I need one.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:01 PM
i went in November 2012 too buy a 2012 Lariat that they were trying to get rid of with heavy incentives, went home, saw that they changed the dash on the XLT and it had the components that are must haves for me, the incentives were almost as good on the 2013 as the 2012s, $1K difference.

get 3 quotes online so that you have it in writing and then go buy the one you want. In my case there was only 1 dealership that had the 2013 XLTs with the gears i wanted in town, i printed off a quote from another dealership, same truck just with different gears and said match the price and the business is yours and they did, had they known my must have was the gear set in the truck on that one lot they would have played that to justify a higher price

the key to buying any new vehicle knowing what you are going to pay and what you are getting, with the internet these days, you can print it all off and avoid a upsell or settling for something you dont want

Last edited by bwgoodwin; 10-22-2013 at 02:02 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Awesome, thanks for the tips guys.

I just found out today that because of my company's business partnership with Dodge (all of our fleet vehicles are Dodge Rams - or just Rams - whatever they're calling them now), as a full time employee I get 1% below dealer cost on any new Chrysler vehicle. That would be awesome if I could stomach the thought of buying a Ram. It's my understanding that dealer markups on new trucks are really only about 2-3%, so it may only equal out to about 4% or so off sticker price. But is this something I could tell a Ford dealer to haggle the price down, or do you think they'd just tell me to cram it and go buy a Dodge?

Quick Reply: FX4 Taste, STX Budget (STX owners please chime in)