2009 - 2014 F-150

FX4 Taste, STX Budget (STX owners please chime in)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 12:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FX4 Taste, STX Budget (STX owners please chime in)

Okay guys, I'm looking to get into a new F-150 shortly after the new year. I know I want a 5.0 4x4 in extended cab. If the FX4s didn't have such a fat price tag, I'd go that route without a second thought. However, they're a little steep for me. I noticed the XLTs are pretty close in price to the STX (usually only slightly higher), but I'm not sure I'm into all the chrome on them. So that led me to look into the STX. I didn't even consider them at first because they were always so boring to me (the last STX I looked at closely was an '05), but it looks like Ford has really stepped it up a notch in the STX category for this generation.

So, with that being said, I need some advice from STX owners. I love the overall look of the truck, and they are available with the powertrain and cab configuration I want, but I have a few concerns:

1) No carpet on the floorboards. Are the acoustics weird on the inside of the truck without the carpet to dampen the sound? Also, does the floor seem to get "sticky" and hold dirt? (The floor resembles an XL a little too closely).

2) The center console armrest is lacking cupholders and storage like the ones found in the other trim levels. Are these interchangeable? Could I buy the upgraded console and install it?

Any pros/cons you can provide are appreciated. It seems to be close enough to the FX4 in exterior appearance that I may go for it, I just need some reassurance that I won't be disappointed.

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2013, 01:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked my rubber floor in my 2008 Sport Trac. It was easy to clean, didn't wear, and always looked good. Carpet gets matted, worn, and is hard to get completely clean.

On that note, if you want a work truck with few features, that has a sport truck exterior look, this is the way to go.

I've had those painted bumpers on my 2000 Xterra and they chipped and rusted. You really have to keep up on the touch up paint and it never really looks right with all the spots.

I've had the plastic bumpers on my 2004 Titan and 2008 Sport Trac, and was always afraid of hitting a raccoon or coyote and busting them up. They weren't truck tough as I would had liked a chrome bumper.

The STX looks a nice back to basics truck that's a bit less work truck look. I believe you can option the XL the same and get a crew cab.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBoy88
Okay guys, I'm looking to get into a new F-150 shortly after the new year.
Big mistake

Unless there is some major issue (or you just must have the new model year) then you should buy in November.

Ford offers deep discounts in November to move the previous model year. I bought my 2012 in November 2012 and got $11,388 off of a truck with a 44,425 MSRP.

Just my .02!

Old 10-10-2013, 12:04 PM
You can get carpeted floor boards on the STX, my '09 has them. I've had multiple trucks with rubber floor mats and didn't find it to be a big deal.

There are two cupholders in the STX that slide out from under the front of the middle part of the seat like a drawer.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:04 PM
I just bought a 2013 Stx and love it. Plus I got bout 9000 in rebates. Now is deff the time to buy. I hated the chrome on the xlts and the rubber floor is great.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by mkosu04
Big mistake

Unless there is some major issue (or you just must have the new model year) then you should buy in November.

Ford offers deep discounts in November to move the previous model year. I bought my 2012 in November 2012 and got $11,388 off of a truck with a 44,425 MSRP.

Just my .02!
Really? Hmm. I didn't realize that (this will be my first time buying a new vehicle, so I'm pretty new to the game). The only reason I was waiting until after the new year was because I'll be getting a $3000 bonus in January, so I was going to use it as a down payment. But if the rebates and incentives are that great, and I'll be able to get that much off, maybe I won't even need a down payment. (Which means I can use my bonus for mods... or put it in a savings account. As if I'd be able to do that with a new truck at the house).

So when in November is the best time to visit the dealer? Are these deals a commonly advertised thing or am I gonna have to squeeze it out of them?

Old 10-10-2013, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by Cbcrawler
I just bought a 2013 Stx and love it. Plus I got bout 9000 in rebates. Now is deff the time to buy. I hated the chrome on the xlts and the rubber floor is great.
Good to know. That's what I was hoping to hear. sounds like I need to move my plans up to next month. Do you have pics of yours?

Trending Topics

Old 10-11-2013, 07:34 AM
Sorry I don't know how to post a pic yet. I'm new to the site. bought my stx bout a week ago. I've been big into jeeps the past few years but man am I glad I went back to a f150

Old 10-11-2013, 09:51 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Believe it or not, the truck in my siggy and in my albums is (better stated, "was") the XLT chrome package. Also, believe it or not, it didn't cost as much as you'd think to get from this:

Name:  newtruck0608123.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  266.4 KB

To this:

Name:  truck0802131_zps6fd14383.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  267.7 KB

Plus, I have a few of the little extras that some of the STXs don't come with. However, I DO wish I had the vinyl floor! The way I look at it, I now have a truck that has the "FX4 look" but is unique in that this color wasn't offered in the FX4 package in 2011 or 2012 and has some appearance extras that the FX4 doesn't even have. Plus, I didn't pay anywhere near the premium that one pays for going with the FX4 over the XLT to get the look I was after.

Good luck, and let us know what you do.

Last edited by DewserB; 10-11-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:53 PM
I love my STX. I don't like all the fluff of the FX4.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by JohnBoy88
Really? Hmm. I didn't realize that (this will be my first time buying a new vehicle, so I'm pretty new to the game). The only reason I was waiting until after the new year was because I'll be getting a $3000 bonus in January, so I was going to use it as a down payment. But if the rebates and incentives are that great, and I'll be able to get that much off, maybe I won't even need a down payment. (Which means I can use my bonus for mods... or put it in a savings account. As if I'd be able to do that with a new truck at the house).

So when in November is the best time to visit the dealer? Are these deals a commonly advertised thing or am I gonna have to squeeze it out of them?
... or just throw the bonus at the loan to reduce the loan amount in January.
OR, if you finance through Ford (they give you $1000 off usually to do this) then refinance in January to get a lower rate and use the $3K to refi a lower amount.

As soon as the new trucks hit the lots they start marking down the old ones.

Last year they did a special for Black Friday where they gave out an extra $1000 off. (plus they gave me like $50 on a visa for going to the dealer on Black Friday)

Its hard to say for sure if they will do the same deals as last year. Of course, the earlier you buy the more vehicles that are available. The later you buy, the better the deals but fewer options.

They had to get my truck out of Ohio to find one with my options. Be prepared to make a list of your must-have features and then the dealer will give you a list. I think I had 3 or 4 to pick from that had all my must-have features. But I also ordered a more-rare version (SuperCrew with 6.5 foot bed, max tow, Ecoboost). If you want one of the more-popular wheel bases then you might find more options.

Of course, if you wait till Thanksgiving and then they don't do the sale (or you can't find a truck you like) then you can always buy in January.

Maybe start looking at the dealer now... build up a relationship with a salesman, and then you will know what you want and have someone on board to find it for you as soon as the black friday sale is announced.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:20 AM
Picked up my STX 5.0 supercab 4x4 in March. I was searching a LONG time and got a great deal on it. I was in the same situation as you john boy. I liked the color choices of the STX/Fx4 better than the XLTs and I hate all that chrome. FX4 was just too far out of my budget. I wanted to actually OWN my truck. I was a bit worried that the 3.55 would be too slow, but I get awesome MPGs with it. 18.5 avg after 8500 miles. As far as your concerns:

1.) The Vinyl floors on my truck are one of it's best feature. I love them and it keeps the truck clean.

2.) The lack of armrest cup holders is a bit annoying. It seems Ford saved very little money on keeping this off, but it would cost the consumer a fortune to get them put in (at least an oem look) There are still cup holders between the seats that pull up so not all that bad.

Others:
Cons: Only have an open diff. The limited slip on my '04 stx was great, and I just dont have the piece of mind I do with this new wazoo traction control. Now there are many threads about this but if you can find an STX with an e-locker it would be pretty awesome.
more computer info with XLT
I believe the XLT has a sliding rear window. -Nothing on STX :X
Pros: The rims are awesome!
most likely less weight so a tad more payload.
available in flame blue
cheaper than XLT (this may differ by region)

Old 10-12-2013, 12:24 AM
oh and lastly,

XLT= grandpa
Lariat = grandpa with money
Platinum= grandpa with TOO much money

STX= Cool guys
FX4= Cool guys with money
RAPTOR= Cool guys with TOO much money

Old 10-12-2013, 12:43 AM

Even right now is a good time to buy. If you do a search either on here or Google, you'll find a lot of threads about us talking about how great the deals have been. I don't know if they're still quite as good as they were a few months ago,when they were great, but they're at least still good. However, the best time to purchase a new vehicle is not necessarily when they have the best deals, but when YOU have the best deal. You want to have all of your finances in order, and perhaps your bonus in your pocket, when you buy. In my opinion, it's all about when you "feel rich," if you know what I mean.

Also, like Dewser said, it isn't too hard or expensive to swap the bumpers out and change/paint the grill. I'd be interested in how much that cost to do though . . . Buying a 4wd XLT and then making it look like an FX4 is exactly what I'd likely do if I were buying a new truck. I never knew that's what you did, Dewser! But that makes 2 things tonight that I never knew and discovered about your truck tonight. Looks like that parking lot is a favorite of yours too! Haha

Nihilus, that's funny!

Last edited by KMAC0694; 10-12-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Also, like Dewser said, it isn't too hard or expensive to swap the bumpers out and change/paint the grill. I'd be interested in how much that cost to do though . . . Buying a 4wd XLT and then making it look like an FX4 is exactly what I'd likely do if I were buying a new truck. I never knew that's what you did, Dewser!
I did the same to my 06 XLT... PTM bumpers, Harley head and taillights. My grill surround was already black so I didn't have to get that PTM'd.
I was going to go the same route when I got my 2011 until I realized that a stripped down FX4 didn't cost much more than a similarly equipped XLT(4x4 Scab, Eco w/3.73's). I figured by the time I had the bumpers and grill surround PTM'd and bought Harley head and tail lights the cost would be about the same as a stripped down FX4. The problem is it's hard to find stripped down FX4's on the lots so I ordered mine. I never liked leather seats anyway so cloth seats were on my list of needs. Anywho with rebates and discounts I paid $32,500 plus tax and title so it was a little over $35k out the door. The MSRP on the similarly equipped XLT was only $2k cheaper but I would have spent a good chunk of that $2k on PTMing the bumpers and grill and buying Harley heads and tails. With an XLT I probably would have had to get different wheels too but I like the FX 20's enough that I decided that I'd run them for a few years or until I got sick of them. It's been over 2.5 years and I'm not sick of them yet. The MSRP on my FX4 could have been cheaper than it was but I opted for the Ecoboost ($750) and 20" wheels ($750).

Last edited by NASSTY; 10-12-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Quick Reply: FX4 Taste, STX Budget (STX owners please chime in)