2009 - 2014 F-150

Need Quick Answers Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 11:25 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
What were the exact P-numbers of the codes? P0171 and P0174? That's lean both banks.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
What were the exact P-numbers of the codes? P0171 and P0174? That's lean both banks.
Yessir. Those are the codes. I'm going to send an email to Mike at 5-star, but I've returned the computer to stock so if/when the light pops up again, I can take it to the dealer.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:01 PM

Well, thought I'd revive this with an update. My truck has been back to stock programming for about 400 miles now. Truck starts like crap (High rev and then shimmy and shake), has a gravel sound to it at medium throttle (wife heard it tonight. sounds like there's something broken rolling around in the engine), really doesn't run nearly as well as when I had the tune on. But I can't get it to throw the CEL again! All of my mods are still intact other than the tune. I obviously want to take it in to see what in the world is going on, but would prefer the backup of a CEL so I don't get the "sorry, can't duplicate the problem" response.

From those descriptions of the symptoms, any thoughts on what my problem may be? Also, if the CEL was going to come back on, is there typically a time or mileage it takes before it returns when its been cleared? Just strange that with a tune, I would run lean on both banks. No tune, and so far no errors.

Thanks for any insight!

Old 11-16-2013, 11:40 AM

New update. Didn't want to start a new thread, but really need some input. The CEL has remained off (still running stock programming) but the truck still runs not so great. Startup issues and noises. Ford diagnosed the problem and said its my timing chain slapping against the cover. Indicating my tensioners are worn out. So long story short, $500 worth of parts, $2000 worth of labor for 15 hours of labor. And of course this would have been covered under the power train warranty which happened to expire 2500 miles ago. What are y'alls thoughts? Thanks

Old 11-18-2013, 11:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What was the mileage on it when you had the service done that you mentioned in your second post on 10/15?

Old 11-19-2013, 01:32 AM

59,465 miles was the mileage when I took it in for the initial service. My problem was, they didn't seem to indicate there was any relationship between Throttle body service, transmission flush, cooling system service, fuel injection service and the diagnosed problem with the timing chain slap.

Do you think otherwise? I unfortunately took it to another shop to start work as they were $1000 cheaper than the dealer. And they're the same shop that worked on my brothers lightning so I trust their guys.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your work order made any mention of the problem before the warranty ran out, you may have had a case. Hard pressed now that you have let another shop fix it.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:16 AM

Yeah, there was no mention of it. The shop I have it at now said the services performed and the problem I have, have no connection. The shop confirmed that it was the timing chain, so they're replacing the chain, the tensioners, and the guides with Ford Racing parts. Should have it back tomorrow. They're also going to check for vacuum and exhaust leaks. Hopefully, all goes well. Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: Need Quick Answers Please