2009 - 2014 F-150

Need Quick Answers Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Quick Answers Please

Hey guys. Not sure if I should post this here or not, but this seems to be an active group. My 2010 FX4 SuperCrew just had the check engine light come on. I'm at about 61,000 miles. This is the first time I've had the light come on. Here's the deal. I have a 5 star tuned SCT X3 programmed into my truck. Recently I had my 60,000 mile service performed but it was all fluids and flushes. Nothing mechanical or electrical. So I didn't return the truck to stock prior to having that service done. So my question is, should I take the truck as-is to the dealer to have it looked at? Should I return it to stock and then go to the dealer (will that erase the check engine light?) Or can/should I use the tuner to read the code? Thanks y'all!

Old 10-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have an extended warranty? If so, then return to stock. If no warranty, then it really shouldn't matter.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:21 PM

Thanks, no I'm completely out of warranty. So I'm not worried about that. Just not sure if they can fix it with the programmer on.

I did use my programmer to read the code. It came up as P0174 - Running too lean. What does that mean? Could that have been caused by any of the services they did at the dealership?

Here is what was done:

Oil Change
Transmission Flush
Service Cooling System/Flush
Service Fuel Injection System
Service Throttle Body and Idle Air Control Valve

This was all done exactly a month ago. Truck sat all last week as I was out of town. I have had the programmer on the truck for at least 40k miles and all performance upgrades have been on in conjunction for at least 24-30k miles.

Thanks for your input!

Old 10-15-2013, 07:41 PM
Not sure if a tb or iac service would cause that code or not. I have heard that lean codes can be caused by exhaust or vacuum leaks. I don't know enough about these trucks to say if that could be the source of the problem.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:05 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Our motor does not have an IAC, but the throttle body if removed might cause a vacuum leak I would think if it or the intake was not installed correctly. I'd put your intake and programmer back to stock and see if it goes away and stays off once cleared. Remeber, my generation truck ran lean from programmers... I've said this before: A custom tune via email means ****. You have no idea whether the parameters are proper or not. It's the gamble you take via email.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the replies. Wanted to clarify a few things. I can return the programmer to stock for diagnostic purposes but the intake is a much more elaborate proposition. And again from a logic standpoint, I can not see how those two items could be the culprit since both have been on the truck for 30,000 miles with no incident. Now if they had to disassemble part of the intake to perform that service, then I could see it. So I may examine that myself. I'll return it to stock programming and check the intake connections. Thanks y'all. Oh and since we don't have an IAC does that mean I got ripped off on my service or is that just a joint service they lump together?

Old 10-15-2013, 10:44 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Is your programmer custom tuned for that specific intake? If not, you ARE running too lean.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:54 PM

Thanks glc. This has been a sticking point for me. When I got the intake, I had done tons of reading on here so I knew (or thought I did) that I needed a custom tune to take into account the new intake. I contacted Mike at 5 star and he insisted it wasn't necessary for this particular intake. And again, I've had that intake installed for 30,000 miles along with the program. Wouldn't you think I'd throw a code sooner than now?

I did go out and inspect my intake, I'm going to retighten the clamps and make sure everything is snug, but I did notice there is virtually no coolant in the reservoir to my intake. Could that be contributing to any of this? And should Ford be checking that/topping it off when they do a full service like they just did?

Thanks again everyone.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:05 AM
Return to stock.
Remove tuner.
Drive it around and see if the CEL goes away.
Sell the tuner.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:05 AM
Return to stock before a dealer visit. Even if you tell them up front that it has custom tunes, and to not re-flash, nothing guarantees the info gets to the tech, or if the tech even cares. They could easily brick your device in a few keystrokes if you leave your tunes installed.

If you have both no warranty, and some spare time, why not read the codes with the device, clear them, and see if they come back?

Old 10-16-2013, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rambo
Return to stock.
Remove tuner.
Drive it around and see if the CEL goes away.
Sell the tuner.
Not a fan of tuners?

Originally Posted by canadianelbow
Return to stock before a dealer visit. Even if you tell them up front that it has custom tunes, and to not re-flash, nothing guarantees the info gets to the tech, or if the tech even cares. They could easily brick your device in a few keystrokes if you leave your tunes installed.

If you have both no warranty, and some spare time, why not read the codes with the device, clear them, and see if they come back?
Makes sense. I will definitely return to stock before I take it to a dealer. And I did read the code, just haven't cleared it yet. I'll retighten intake tonight and return to stock. Then if it comes up again, I can just take it right to the dealer and not worry.

One more tuner question though. Considering I have a tune now but was told I didn't need a re-tune for the intake, will I definitely run lean without any tune installed?

Old 10-16-2013, 12:21 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
will I definitely run lean without any tune installed?
No, but I would get advice from Mike on this.

Any reason you can't put the stock intake back on and do a Gotts mod?

Old 10-16-2013, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by glc
No, but I would get advice from Mike on this.

Any reason you can't put the stock intake back on and do a Gotts mod?
No real reason other than the labor to do it. I have the stock intake still in my garage. The only reason I went with this intake and didn't pursue the Gotts mod on this truck (did it on my 02) was the S&B Intake was sent to me for free. And prior to this, I've never had a problem. There were handprints in the dust on the intake tube, so I'm assuming to do their service, they took it all apart. I'm hoping a leak is all thats causing the problem.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:10 AM

Just an update. Went out last night and checked the intake seals. Two of the hose clamps used to attach the intake tube to the airbox (between the airbox and the throttle body) were quite loose. So apparently they didn't tighten those down following service. Also filled up the coolant reservoir. Used my SCT X3 to clear the code and took it for a drive. Light did not reappear and didn't on my way into work this morning. Hopefully, it stays that way. Initially, I had a peculiar sound coming from under the hood after this work. When I heard it, I remembered that sound from when I just received it back from service. Low throttle, no problem, Heavy throttle, pushed through it, but on mild throttle I would get a "buzzing" kind of like a riced out civic. Or when you used to wedge a playing card between the fork of your bike and the tire. By the end of my drive last night it seemed to subside. And this morning it was raining heavily on my way in, so it was tough to hear a noise like that.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:29 PM

Another update. Light came back on today. Hooked up my programmer to check the codes. Had 2 this time. When I checked the description, they both said "system running too lean" but one had (B1) and the other had (B2). I'm guessing that means both banks are running lean. Not sure why tightening intake seals would cause the other to run lean now too. So I brought it home and plugged in the programmer to return it to stock. I'll drive it around the rest of the weekend to see if I can get the light to pop back on and then take it back to the dealer. Any additional thoughts at this point?

Quick Reply: Need Quick Answers Please