2009 - 2014 F-150

2011 Supercrew subwoofer install questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 04:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Supercrew subwoofer install questions

Hey I am wondering if anyone can help me figure out what the biggest subwoofer and enclosure combo I can go with for under the rear seat and with a seat lift. Sealed and or ported I don't know which is best or possible for size and location. I want to know if I can get full size 12" subs under the rear seat. Which would be mounting depths from 7" and up. Can I build a box that will fit a 9" mounting depth sub, roughly like the alpine type x? Either down or forward firing. I want a lot of bass but under the seat... I have looked at supercrew sounds enclosure with the 2.5" seat lift and that doesnt seem big enough and looks like I could fit the shape a bit better. Bassically want 2 type x subs and I'm thinking ported because I want lots of low loud bass as I listen to hiphop/metal/dubstep. Lots of long low bass notes. But I can't make a decision on my build until I know how big of a box I can build and what fits it in and what suits the box best either ported or sealed. Frustrating... haha.

I am going to post this in the another section and another forum as I'm not sure where to post my question to get a response. Delete whichever post you see fit as I am not trying to spam.

Thanks again for any help!

Old 10-19-2013, 10:03 AM
For two 12's ported your real problem is going to be getting enough airspace, not mounting depth. There's plenty of subs to be had that'll perform as well or better than the type x that aren't as deep, but getting enough airspace to properly port and tune them is going to be a challenge.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:11 PM
Ok, just listen. Go look up Sundown Sa-8's. Their 8's that hit like hell. Got two in my 2011 screw and they rattle the truck. U could go under the seat with a lift and run a Aero Port but it would be really long. I made a box the sits infront of the middle seat and made it like a center console. Its pretty cool. The 8's dont like big boxes which is good for us truck owners who are limited on space. Do you have woodworking skills? have the wires already been ran? Install your self?

Space is key. U have about 2ft^3 worth of room but only few inches to play with. If money isnt a problem, their is 12 that cost a #$%& Load but is shallow and still hits good.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Haha Pyrofan, I was actually going to recommend something out of the Sundown SA line or the Skar VVX line. I had the skar vvx 8's and loved them. Built similar to the Sundown 8's since the Sundown owner helped design them but a little more musical. Had them ported in my truck and loved it, now they're sealed in my gf's car and still perform pretty well. I switched to the alpine type-r shallow though and it performs pretty well sealed too. And now the new Stereo Integrity BMKIV's are up for presale at like 260 a piece before they switch to 400 at full price, so there a nice option too for another shallow.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:28 PM
Hmm.. I haven't been able to demo any shallow subs to be able to truely say this but I don't think I will be satisfied with them. I had 2 300w 10" kenwoods and it wasnt enough. I think I can get 1-1.25 cu.ft per sub. I know how to use the tools but haven't built one before. Should I just go with sealed if its going to be under the seat? I think I want 12" subs ported but like you said not sure if its possible to have enough air space.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Alpine type r shallows performed better than the previous version of the full size type r, hence why the did the redesign. The SI bmkiv should be pretty similar to the type r shallow but with better sq. They're miles ahead of the kenwood shallows and kenwood in general.

If you don't want shallows though, I'd look at the sundown sa-8's or the skar vvx-8's or up in those lines. Those 8's will really surprise you.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:41 PM
A dude on another forum post pics of his dual 10" sundowns in a forward firing side ported box under the seat. It had a 2" seat lift. I think I want something like that but maybe forward facing ports also?

Last edited by KBZ_F150; 10-19-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:02 PM
You can place ports forward it you want, it all just depends on how you route them inside the box.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:11 PM
Yeah that's the part of box building I don't know, how to port/tune.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:44 PM
So the skar are more musical than the sundowns? What does more musical mean? What's it going to sound like if I have sundown 10" that needs 1.5cu.ft space and give it 1-1.25?

Quick Reply: 2011 Supercrew subwoofer install questions