2009 - 2014 F-150

new tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW.. I never EVER thought I'd hear anyone praise a Michelin (non winter tire) for snow traction. I have no problem with Michelin's... other that winter traction.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Power Kid
WOW.. I never EVER thought I'd hear anyone praise a Michelin (non winter tire) for snow traction. I have no problem with Michelin's... other that winter traction.
I don't follow.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:05 AM
the snow is not here yet.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:41 AM

Traction in snow has everything to do with tread design, so it can't be narrowed down to one company. Though Michelin is the leader for the longest lasting tires, which may hurt snow traction because of milder tread pattern. But even that isn't logical

Old 10-25-2013, 12:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Traction in snow has everything to do with tread design, so it can't be narrowed down to one company. Though Michelin is the leader for the longest lasting tires, which may hurt snow traction because of milder tread pattern. But even that isn't logical
Would it be safe to assume that longer lasting is a result of harder compounds.... and as a result of harder compounds, their effectiveness in winter driving is reduced at a higher rate than a softer compound? Especially on anything slick....

Old 10-25-2013, 12:53 AM

I'm confused where page 2 has gone on this thread. Are we still trying address the original poster's concerns about loss of gas mileage with the new tires?

Old 10-25-2013, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by canadianelbow
Would it be safe to assume that longer lasting is a result of harder compounds.... and as a result of harder compounds, their effectiveness in winter driving is reduced at a higher rate than a softer compound? Especially on anything slick....
That was kind of along the lines of what I was thinking. I think it's more related to tread design though. Tires last longer by having tougher, harder compound and distributing the weight supported by each wheel/tire distributed over a greater surface area on the tire, i.e. the closer to a semi tire the better. Snow is funky though because mud tires and all terrains apparently suck in the snow (I live in Texas so I don't have any first hand experience), as do full on street tires. So somewhere is the middle is best. That's my understand anyway.

I don't know if this is relevant to the OPs question directly, but it actually further suggests that tires aren't the issue. Because the same tread patterns and compounds that last longer also get better mileage, I think. Michelin atx^2s or something like that, whatever comes stock on many F250s, are arguably the longest lasting tires money can buy. And they are the same or similar to what the OP bought.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 10-25-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Quick Reply: new tires