Love the secede sticker

Old 12-12-2013, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks! Secede voters are winning for the time being haha

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ge...res-vol-i.html

Old 01-09-2014, 08:49 AM
Thumbs down Ford confesses they are monitoring our driving

I specifically asked about this when I bough our 2013 F-150 and was specifically told that it does not happen.
Now a Ford Executive admits they are doing it.
Wonder if I can find a lawyer and make them buy the truck back.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ford-exec-gps-2014-1

Ford Exec: 'We Know Everyone Who Breaks The Law' Thanks To Our GPS In Your Car

Old 01-09-2014, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by restoring
I specifically asked about this when I bough our 2013 F-150 and was specifically told that it does not happen.
Now a Ford Executive admits they are doing it.
Wonder if I can find a lawyer and make them buy the truck back.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ford-exec-gps-2014-1

Ford Exec: 'We Know Everyone Who Breaks The Law' Thanks To Our GPS In Your Car
I don't even know why he would word it this way. With everything going on with the public's concern for privacy, this is a horrible PR stunt. If he was specifically asked about the capability, he should have just said that those things CAN be reported, but we don't pay attention to them. The really sad thing is that he is the Global VP of MARKETING AND SALES!! Now, for the moment being, do you really think that Ford is going to send an email to the local police department every time someone speeds? No. This would never hold up in court anyway. There are times when accelerating above the speed limit may very well be necessary. I'd like to see a judge tell me that I didn't need to accelerate to pass a drunk driver on a two lane road. Now, can this be abused? Yup. Will it eventually be abused? You bet.

I hate to say it though, if you thought this wasn't happening already, you are crazy. All of these vehicles have GPS which makes them capable of reporting this kind of stuff. I mean, it could be worse, we could have OnStar in our vehicles.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by il_duce
I don't even know why he would word it this way. With everything going on with the public's concern for privacy, this is a horrible PR stunt. If he was specifically asked about the capability, he should have just said that those things CAN be reported, but we don't pay attention to them. The really sad thing is that he is the Global VP of MARKETING AND SALES!! Now, for the moment being, do you really think that Ford is going to send an email to the local police department every time someone speeds? No. This would never hold up in court anyway. There are times when accelerating above the speed limit may very well be necessary. I'd like to see a judge tell me that I didn't need to accelerate to pass a drunk driver on a two lane road. Now, can this be abused? Yup. Will it eventually be abused? You bet.

I hate to say it though, if you thought this wasn't happening already, you are crazy. All of these vehicles have GPS which makes them capable of reporting this kind of stuff. I mean, it could be worse, we could have OnStar in our vehicles.
I'm not crazy, I'm a long time privacy and freedom advocate. I know the capability is there, but now they have ADMITTED they are using it. That was not in the agreement when I bought the truck.
I'm serious, the DAY I get my next job, I'm calling lawyers and seeing if I can force FORD to buy it back.
It's not that they are tattling on specific instances, it is the aggregation of data without my informed consent in the first place.
Do you have any idea what that kind of data can be used to do?

Old 01-10-2014, 10:59 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Now that Ford has admitted to having this data, it's only a matter of time before the states and even the feds take legal action against ford to force them to turn over this info so they can send us tickets in the mail. Then the lazy LEO's can sit and eat more do-nuts.

Also, now that since ford has admitted it, you can bet that GM, Chrysler, and all the imports have it too. So selling your truck and going to a different brand very well may be pointless.

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 01-10-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by restoring
I'm not crazy, I'm a long time privacy and freedom advocate. I know the capability is there, but now they have ADMITTED they are using it. That was not in the agreement when I bought the truck.
I'm serious, the DAY I get my next job, I'm calling lawyers and seeing if I can force FORD to buy it back.
It's not that they are tattling on specific instances, it is the aggregation of data without my informed consent in the first place.
Do you have any idea what that kind of data can be used to do?
I know EXACTLY what can be done with that data. And just like I said, I'm sure it will be abused. My point was that I already knew this was happening and I'm surprised others do not. Them admitting it changed nothing for me. Just like the whole NSA/Snowden thing changed nothing for me. Former NSA peeps have been saying for years that this was happening and no one listened. Just like you, I am concerned as well and think that this could certainly go too far. In my opinion, it already has. However, just as 05RedFX4 said, all of the other brands do this as well. Other companies (including Ford) long ago admitted to using vehicle driving data for R&D and other purposes. It's been public knowledge for sometime now. I know for sure OnStar does this and more. They'll even shut down the vehicle remotely. So our options include ripping out the GPS system, switching to an older vehicle, or causing a big enough issue publicly to force them to stop.

That first option is of course possible, but not convenient. This will render many of the convenient comforts of the vehicle useless. For all I know, it could stop the operation of the vehicle. The second option, no thanks, I like a newer vehicle. And eventually older vehicles will die off (meaning that eventually, all vehicles on the road will have GPS equipped). The third option is doable as well. However, do you really think that this is going to tone down at all? Sadly, much of the country would still rather sacrifice privacy and freedoms for security. Until that thought alone changes, stuff like this will get worse and worse before it ever gets better. There is no longer an expectation of privacy. It's sad and I hate just as much as you, I'm sure. A LOT of things will have to change for this to stop. And even then, we as the public will have no proof that is has stopped. But this leads into a much further discussion...

Old 01-10-2014, 03:23 PM
it is the aggregation of data without my informed consent in the first place.
By the way, if you use and have registered for Sync (I think all new Fords have them), you have already agreed to have some of this information forwarded to Ford and used for any purpose they choose:

"Ford and its Service providers will disclose personally identifiable information, without notice, only if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to (a) conform to the edicts of the law or comply with legal process served on Ford or its Service providers; (b) protect and defend the rights or property of Ford Motor Company or SYNC or its Service providers, and (c) act under exigent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of Ford Motor Company, SYNC, or the public. Ford reserves the right to use and share any aggregate (non-personally identifiable) information it obtains in connection with providing SYNC Services in your vehicle for any purpose. If you don't consent or wish to disclose this information, do not activate or use SYNC Services."

And..."When you run a Vehicle Health Report, Ford Motor Company may collect your cell phone number (to process your report request) and diagnostic information about your vehicle. Certain versions or updates to Vehicle Health Report may also collect additional vehicle information. Ford may use the vehicle information it collects, as well as information regarding individual access to Vehicle Health Reports at www.syncmyride.com for any purpose."

https://support.ford.com/tools/account/sync-terms

Not saying it's right, but sometimes you just have to read the fine print and be aware that these things are going on.

Last edited by il_duce; 01-10-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:11 PM
Thumbs down Transmission problem again

I have no faith in any of the dealers here anymore.

I don't drive the F-150 very much as I don't need to. I bought it at the end of September/beginning of October 2013, and it only has about 2,300 miles on it. I was running a few errands yesterday (01-23-14) and twice the transmission shifted way too slow. As in almost 2 seconds in the first instance and not at all in the second one.

1. Truck was up to temperature. I was parking in a parking lot that sloped downward towards the driver side and the truck took, realistically, a minimum of 1.5 seconds to shift out of Drive and into Park after the gear selector was in park and my hand was no longer on it. When it finally did actually shift into Park, it felt like someone had backed into the truck. It was not a smooth shift.

2. Truck had been parked at a different store for approximately 25 minutes (again on a mild slope downward towards the driver side). When I backed out of the space, I came to a complete stop and moved the selector from Reverse to Drive. I took my hand off the selector and my foot off the brake and the truck kept rolling backwards, under power of the engine. I let it roll about 12 feet until I was about to back into a parked car when I hit the brake to stop it. I looked and the indicator was in Drive, but the truck was not. I had to put it back in Park, then select Drive for it to work.

That's not good. I have had numerous vehicles in my lifetime and have driven countless more and NOT ONE of them did this. Not one. This, in my humble opinion is bull****. This truck has ALREADY been in to Country Ford and had the work for the transmission service bulletin for slow shifting completed. When I called today and spoke to the service department, I was told (obviously) that they would need my truck, again, to see if they could diagnose the issue. I was also told they were sure the work they already did had nothing to do with the issue I had just experienced.

If I could afford a freaking go-pro camera I would buy one and mount it in the truck just to document this crap and post it online so everyone can see it. In fact, I think I will try to do that very thing. Sucks that an otherwise great truck is basically rendered useless by this. A transmission that shift unexpectedly, at it's own leisure, is a serious safety issue. It also removes any joy of ownership and confidence in the truck I am paying more than $30,000 for.

Name:  F150TrannyWork-10-11-13-EDIT_zps511b1c3c.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  136.5 KB

Old 02-14-2014, 04:07 PM
Hopefully good news everyone...

A Customer Service Manager from Ford (not the dealer) has become involved in this issue and agrees that the shifting behavior I described is not safe. We are working together with the dealer to get my truck back in once their transmission tech returns from the classes he is taking so they can investigate the problem and correct it. I will post how this turns out.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:41 AM
Just dropped the F-150 off at Country Ford. They asked allot of questions and seemed as puzzled as I am about what is happening. They said they will see if they can check the transmission fluid and if there are any new updates or service bulletins regarding this issue.

One question that caught me off guard is if this issue happens right after I put gas in the truck. I was told if I over fill the gas tank, it can cause transmission issues. Blew my mind. I never over fill any of our vehicles. When the pump clicks off, that's it. However, according to the guy that rode with me and was asking questions, if one over fills the fuel tank and gets fuel into one or both of the two fuel solenoids, they can wreak havoc with the transmission. Honestly, I have no idea how fuel solenoids in the gas filler neck could effect the transmissions decisions on when to shift, but it is a question I was asked and I guess with all the computers and crap it could be possible.

Wish us good luck!

Old 09-04-2014, 05:41 PM
Exclamation

Homer Skelton Ford Olive Branch MS Service Department and Country Ford Southaven MS Service Department-
Another example of the difference between the service departments at those two FORD Dealerships.
Yesterday, 09-03-2014, I had an issue with our F-150. I was going to run some errands and when I hit the button on my key to unlock the door, there was no response. So, like most of us, I hit the button a few more times... nothing. I figured that somehow the battery in the key must have died. So I manually unlocked the door, got in, and tried to start the truck... nothing. No chime, no dash response, no odometer, no horn, no attempt to start AT ALL.
Our Jeep was in the carport and the truck was backed up to it so I couldn't try to jump start it. My wife (and her car) were at work.
Our truck is a 2013 F-150 STX 4x4 with only 6,750 miles on it, and like most new vehicles, it has a system or systems in place designed to protect the battery from becoming too drained to start the vehicle. It was in the middle 90's and humid as hell, which was NOT helping my temper. I called the Country Ford Service Department and described the problem. I added that the battery has one of those clear round windows in the top, and that the green dot had sunk to the bottom and appeared to be turning red. Once the person I was speaking to heard the year model and the mileage, he assured me that our truck was under warranty and whatever was wrong would be covered. THEN... he asked "What modifications have you made to the truck and what aftermarket parts have you added?"
Yeah, I could see where this was headed. I told him that as far as modifications to the truck go, I have washed and waxed it. That's it. As far as aftermarket parts go, I bought a camper top at Camper City and they installed it. The Country Ford Service rep then asked how long ago that was and if the camper top had a brake light. When I advised it was several months ago and that it does have a brake light, he asked if they connected it. Before I could advise that they obviously connected it, he interrupted me and exclaimed that "could be" the reason for the truck being dead and that if Country Ford determined such, I would be responsible for the cost of diagnosis and repair. I understand that Ford's warranty is not going to cover damaged caused by another company installing something, but this guy really latched on to the idea that somehow Camper City did something to ruin the truck and thus void our warranty. He returned to that idea a few times and reiterated that we would be responsible for payment. He then advised I call Ford Roadside Assistance and have our truck towed into the dealer so they could look at it the next day. I again described the battery window dot thing and asked if I could pull the battery and bring it in for testing. He said no, Ford required that I bring the entire truck for diagnosis. It makes sense, but they're going to run a battery test first anyway and I figured I could get the battery up there as soon as my wife got home (which was going to be soon).
So... I called roadside assistance. They were polite and immediately arranged the tow.
About 40 mins later the tow truck arrived. Then we encountered a new problem. We could not get the truck out of park. The stalk wouldn't even pull back towards the driver so we could try. So I called Country Ford Service again. I described the new problem and he was puzzled. He said he had no idea what would cause that and told me to tell the tow truck driver to take the linkage apart so he could pull our F-150 up onto the tow truck.
The tow truck driver was surprised at the suggestion and started calling his boss. I in turn called Homer Skelton Ford's Service Department. I described to their service rep Duke what had happened so far and he immediately asked if I had tried jumpstarting our truck. When I told him I was not able to try that he immediately advised that since there was no power in the truck, it would NOT shift out of park. He advised that we connect jumper cables from the tow truck to the F-150 to see if it would start, and added even if it won't start that should provide enough power to shift out of park. The tow truck driver's boss had suggested the same thing. After connecting the cables, our F-150 grudgingly started. Obviously we could now shift it.
Shocked that Country Ford's Service Rep didn't know the truck requires electrical power to be shifted out of park coupled with their apparent eagerness to find a reason for the warranty to be voided. I decided I did not want our truck going to Country Ford. I called roadside assistance back and changed the destination to Homer Skelton Ford. They had nailed the shifting issue right off the bat. I had allot more confidence sending our truck to them.
Once our truck was on its way, I called Homer Skelton Ford back to advise our truck was enroute, and spoke to Ben in the Service Department. Ben thanked me for the heads-up, and advised he would call me when our truck arrived. Shortly afterwards, he called me to advise our truck was being off loaded and he would look at it immediately. This was an hour AFTER Country Ford said their service department would be closed! Ben also advised he would call as soon as he had any news. Shortly after that, at 1940hrs, Ben called back saying our truck was ready, the battery was bad and had been replaced, AND APOLOGIZED FOR THE INCONVENIENCE! Country Ford had said they wouldn't even look at the truck until the next day, Ben at Homer Skelton fixed it that same evening. Homer Skelton's Service Department was scheduled to close at 2000hrs. We weren't sure we could make it before then but told him we were leaving the house and heading that way so Ben offered to make arrangements for us to pick it up after the Service Department closed, not requiring us to wait until the next day!
When we arrived at Homer Skelton, it was about 2015hrs, and there was our truck parked right by the front door, WITH BEN WAITING FOR US. This guy's long day had ended 15 minutes before and he waited for us to make sure we were able to pick up our truck. He was extremely polite, and apologized again for the inconvenience of our truck breaking down. Ben ROCKs. If you have a Ford, consider talking to Ben or Duke at Homer Skelton Ford in Olive Branch Mississippi.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:43 PM
Old 09-18-2014, 02:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NICE truck!!!!! I have 2014 STX white non 4WD. Would have loved to get a 4x4 if had known they made them. Hope your transmission problem has gone away permanently!!!!!!

Quick Reply: restoring's 2013 STX 4x4 build