2009 - 2014 F-150

Bully Dog Triple GT Tuner Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bully Dog Triple GT Tuner Help

Hey everybody,

I bought my 13 F150 XLT Plus Package about 7 months ago and have been slowly doing Mods. As of now I have put on an Air Raid Cold Air, Force 2 Flowmaster dual exhaust, wheels and tires, and just recently put on a Bully Dog Triple GT Tuner. I installed it the other day and put it on performance mode and just filled up with premium (recommended before setting the performance mode) and all was fine until my truck started to ping! Only under a load... I have un-installed it and did some research and made a few calls one being to PSI in portland Oregon (Performance shop). They were thinking maybe running too lean and maybe timing or ignition being off. Which is what I was thinking.. and have also heard that it could be bad gas?? But as soon as I uninstalled it the ping went away (so not the case) I have also heard that F150's are notorious for pinging when ever you do some kind of performance chip?? PSI recommended that I return the Bully Dog and buy one of there tuners and have it tune for $650! I haven't had any luck trying to find a shop that can tune Bully Dog Tuners, I have heard that I can have Bully Dog send me a custom tune based on my mods???

Anybody have any suggestions, Tips, Ideas, or know about these Bully Dog Tuners?? Are they worth it or did I just waste $350?

Old 10-25-2013, 11:32 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
You bought a garbage programmer. Should have asked here FIRST before buying one. Read some threads in our programmers forum.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:05 PM
Damnit! That is what I was afraid of. I thought I did some good research on this programmer, but I am still in my 30 days of buying it so I can return it.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:00 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
I would return it. Supposedly they are decent programmers for diesels, but I wouldn't use one on a gas engine.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:47 PM
Yep to all of the above. Plus their customer service is dog ***. Good luck getting a tune written by them. God forbid you ever have a problem, they'll never respond and blame everything on you. I haven't really seen anything about Ford's pinging with tunes?

If you can get a refund check out 5star, Franchi from SCT, if you have a EB > Livernois, Evolution performance makes wicked 5.0 Mustangs so check if they have a F150 tune.

Last edited by hydro1; 10-26-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a couple guys on the other F150 that had their Ecoboost PCM fried from the Bully Dog tuner. Not sure how much a new PCM costs but I bet Bully Dog or FoMoCo didn't pay for it. However, you run the risk with any aftermarket tuner and I have a Livernois tuner on my Ecoboost so don't mistake me for the tuner police.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:35 PM
Thanks guys for your help, I have un-installed it for now. I am talking with the buyer off Ebay and working on returning it. I have read some horror stories about Bully Dog Tuners frying the PCM and what not. I am going to do some more research on some other tuners how do you like the Livernois Tuner working?

Quick Reply: Bully Dog Triple GT Tuner Help