2009 - 2014 F-150

Rear Facing Child Seat Anchor

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 07:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear Facing Child Seat Anchor

Any members here, with young kids found any solutions to anchoring the the tether strap for car seats in rear facing mode?

My seats are properly secured, but they (Diono) write in the owners book, for added security to anchor the tether down in the front.

If the truck is rear ended by some larger vehicle, a rear facing car seat has nothing to keep it from flipping backwards and doing a faceplant into the truck seat back, unless it is tethered down. Tethering to the front seat track is not possible with power seats.

I asked FoMoCo, and their engineering division told me that they have no systems in place.

For info sake, I am running Diono Radian RXT seats for my kids.

I am contemplating manufacturing my own system, but curious if there are other options...

To read the instructions for yourself, skim to page 31 of http://nz.diono.com/docs/manuals/Dio...US_Eng_Web.pdf

Last edited by canadianelbow; 10-31-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:38 PM
We tethered to the seat track on the passenger seat, and just didn't move it forward or backward.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
We tethered to the seat track on the passenger seat, and just didn't move it forward or backward.
It's an option I considered, but with 2 young ones, and thus 2 Diono's, I need to tether to the drivers side too. That seat is power auto, so not moving it isn't an option. I'm considering Welding together a bar assembly that would use the rear seat bolts as anchor points, with an eyelet to clip onto. If I had to make one, making a second is easy. I also wish the rear seats locked in the down position, then I could fasten an eyelet to the bottom of the seat.

Any other ideas out here?

Old 10-31-2013, 09:23 PM
www.carseat.org

http://www.thecarseatlady.com/

two great resources for you.

I've seen the tether attached to different parts of the front seats as mentioned above. Possible to attach around the seatbelt anchor for the front passengers by looping (I've not done this but have seen it on those websites above). Take a seat mounting bolt out and reattach with a steel loop to attach tether to.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Rear Facing Child Seat Anchor