2009 - 2014 F-150

Opinions on custom front bumper.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on custom front bumper.

My father in-law made this bumper for his 08 F350. He said we could easily duplicate it for my 11 f150. How do you guys think it would look? Still debating on whether to keep it black or get it coated to match the paint. The grill guard will be a little taller on the f150, I am a beginner at photoshop so I wasn't able to make it look right. The bumper will also not be as tall on the f150. The bumper on the superduty houses a 12K lb winch. Going to go with a 9K lb for mine. The main impact zone is 1/4" steel, the left and right pieces are 10 gauge steel. The bull bar, winch door and license plate bracket are all polished stainless steel.

Here is the bumper on his truck.

Name:  IMG_20131027_175634_662_zps73c11f74.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  85.5 KB

Here is my really bad attempt to photoshop it onto my truck.

Name:  truckwithbumper_zps610e0d6b.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  86.2 KB

What do you guys think?

Old 10-29-2013, 04:22 PM
im not a fan of aftermarket/custom bumpers, but that one isnt bad.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:36 PM
It was designed to mostly follow the lines of the factory bumper, but be a lot beefier at the same time.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:44 PM
It's not too bad looking, not sure how big a 9k winch is but is try to see if you could shorten the bumper up some, like so there's more distance from the ground to it. It looks like it goes down kinda low.

Also if you go with the bull bar id say do it in all black, the polished just blends in too much with the grill.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Yeah, the bumper won't hang down that low on the f150. it has to be shortened up. I am just not that good at photoshop so every time I tried to shorten the bottom the bull bars looked small.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:13 PM
Former Sponsor
It looks alright.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:09 AM
j8tnub,

I like the bumper but not the bar. Why not make the whole bumper out of stainless? If too shiney, bead blast it.

If I had the bar, I would never be able to check my oil.

Take Care

Green Gem

Old 10-30-2013, 10:04 AM

I actually like how the 350's looks! I'd rather have the entire thing black, but that's a difference in preference. Black would look good against the red and powder coat is really tough to get a match close enough. I think it would look fine on your truck, but I'd perhaps do only the bumper, not the brush guard part. I think the bumper itself is very good looking, especially compared to those in production. But the brush guard has something off with it. Maybe if it had parts that branched out as well so that it looks more like a full brush guard than a bull bar. Also, I think these bumpers look better on half-tons when they're closer to flush too, so maybe have him shorten the depth too.

How much is this going to cost you in materials?

Last edited by KMAC0694; 10-30-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:54 PM
The bumper will be shortened in height. I am just not good at photoshop so I wasn't able to do it without making the bull bar look really small. I am not sure I am crazy about the bull bar either, but I also though trying to photoshop that out would make the whole thing look really weird. I will take another picture later this week of the bull bar from the side. It's actually not that bad. I want to do the bumper black, and the rear bumper as well. But my wife is a big fan of the chrome.

Not sure what it will cost in materials.

Last edited by j8tnub; 10-30-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Green Gem
j8tnub,

I like the bumper but not the bar. Why not make the whole bumper out of stainless? If too shiney, bead blast it.

If I had the bar, I would never be able to check my oil.

Take Care

Green Gem
I am not sure I have the patience to polish an entire bumper. The parts that are polished took quite some time to do so. You would still be able to check your oil. You could just stand or kneel on the bumper to do it. As it is, with the leveling kit and tires I put on I probably can't check it standing on the ground anyways.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Other than approach clearance, I love it.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:45 PM
I was talking about the height with him last night and the bumper probably won't be much taller than the stock bumper but we have to get a winch to make sure the bumper is tall enough to fit it.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:51 PM

I wasn't referring to the height from the ground to the bottom of the bumper, but the actual depth of the bumper. These bumpers look massive on half-tons because of how far they protrude from the truck. So the closer to flush, the better.

I agree with not having the whole thing in stainless steel, or even any of it. It costs significantly more than regular steel.

Approach clearance is a complete non-issue with bumpers like these; you can stand on them (I have), so it improves access.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
I wasn't referring to the height from the ground to the bottom of the bumper, but the actual depth of the bumper. These bumpers look massive on half-tons because of how far they protrude from the truck. So the closer to flush, the better.

I agree with not having the whole thing in stainless steel, or even any of it. It costs significantly more than regular steel.

Approach clearance is a complete non-issue with bumpers like these; you can stand on them (I have), so it improves access.
Ah, yes ok now I get what you are saying. The bumper shouldn't stick out that far actually thanks to the giant void in front of the radiators (at least on the 5.0) but we will be measuring the depth on Ecoboosts and 6.2s so they will fit all models if we move forward with it. The bumper really only needs to stick out to the point where the bull bar clears the grill. I think when the hood opens the grill goes up pretty straight. We are going to start making the prototype soon.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:15 PM

I hope all goes well! But be very careful with the ecoboosts. They can't have any kind of obstruction down there inhibiting airflow. Most eco owners can't even get bullbars or brushguards. They may have an eco-specific brush guard now, but they didn't for a while. That's why 5.0s have the license plates in the middle of the lower opening, and the ecoboosts have them off to the side.

Quick Reply: Opinions on custom front bumper.