2009 - 2014 F-150

Traded my 2011 FX4 for 13 XLT

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
There is a button on the center stack to turn the s/c off.
yes, hold it down and then advance trac gets turned off and light on the dash comes on. i just wish i could default it to off and have not have the light come on. I have always hated traction control, uses the brake to divert power, that just robs power, especially now that i have a locker there is no need to have traction control...

Old 10-31-2013, 02:23 PM
I just traded my 2010 fx4 for a 13 xl. The new has an American luxury coach package. Chrome, 6 inch lift 35" tire , and all options u can get for an xl. I am pretty satisfied. I had to give up my a bunch of interior options I never used. The 13 looks much better.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by dartmania2002
Since 2004 I have had 5 new F 1500 and they have been great, but I never liked my 2011 SCREW FX4, it was always squeaking and creaking, so while in for service today (my wipers wouldn't shut off) I spent some time with my salesman. I decided to trade in the 11 and lease for the first time.

Long story short, my payment went down $60 a month, the dealership is giving me a $5,000 check and in two years I will be able to get a new truck again, either sticking with another lease, or buying again if this doesn't work out.

I have had 2 FX4's now and my suggestion to people who might be new to trucks and buying their first one is to strongly consider an XLT as I don't feel the FX4 warrents the extra $8,000 ish.

Has anyone else here traded down? All I ever read is people wanting to go from XLT to FX4/Lariat/Platinum
I love my FX4, but I went up and then down from my XLT to a Platinum to another FX4. The XLT is an all-around nice package (with nice Chrome and Offroad packages too if needed), but if you don't like/want/need anything else that is not offered with the XLT, then it's the perfect package. Enjoy!!!

Old 11-01-2013, 10:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dartmania2002
Since 2004 I have had 5 new F 1500 and they have been great, but I never liked my 2011 SCREW FX4, it was always squeaking and creaking, so while in for service today (my wipers wouldn't shut off) I spent some time with my salesman. I decided to trade in the 11 and lease for the first time.

Long story short, my payment went down $60 a month, the dealership is giving me a $5,000 check and in two years I will be able to get a new truck again, either sticking with another lease, or buying again if this doesn't work out.

I have had 2 FX4's now and my suggestion to people who might be new to trucks and buying their first one is to strongly consider an XLT as I don't feel the FX4 warrents the extra $8,000 ish.

Has anyone else here traded down? All I ever read is people wanting to go from XLT to FX4/Lariat/Platinum
Problem is, now you are renting. You will have no equity in your investment. Additionally, any damage to the vehicle in your keep will be chargeable to you at the lease end, not to mention the excess mileage.
Leasing is an all around bad deal.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
Problem is, now you are renting. You will have no equity in your investment. Additionally, any damage to the vehicle in your keep will be chargeable to you at the lease end, not to mention the excess mileage.
Leasing is an all around bad deal.
While I generally agree with that, and that leasing wouldn't make sense for me, it does make some sense for some. I couldn't deal with the stress of potentially going over the mileage or getting screwed in the event of an accident; it's like going over your minutes on a phone plan, it just hovers over you. But for a lot of people that get new cars every few years, it can be a good option.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:55 AM
I have a 08 lariat and absolutely love it. Love the leather seats. my ex had cloth seats in expeditin and water would stain them so hard to clean. Leather wipes right up, if you use cleaner/conditioner on them they will last a long time. My truck has 100,100 miles and seats still look brand new.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by c1t1d1
I have a 08 lariat and absolutely love it. Love the leather seats. my ex had cloth seats in expeditin and water would stain them so hard to clean. Leather wipes right up, if you use cleaner/conditioner on them they will last a long time. My truck has 100,100 miles and seats still look brand new.
I agree. The heated leather seats in my Harley Truck look brand new with 43 K on the clock. I use Armour All leather conditioner from time to time!

Old 11-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by bwgoodwin
yes, hold it down and then advance trac gets turned off and light on the dash comes on. i just wish i could default it to off and have not have the light come on. I have always hated traction control, uses the brake to divert power, that just robs power, especially now that i have a locker there is no need to have traction control...
I believe the locker only works up until 20mph or so, unless you have a Raptor. Also, you wouldn't really want to drive around with the locker engaged all the time, especially if you do a lot of turning on a hard surface, as you'd be putting a lot of strain on your axles and chewing up tires.

The traction control on a truck with the locking rear end mimics what a limited slip differential would normally do, except using the brakes. I don't think there are many reasons to defeat traction control when driving on pavement.

Originally Posted by dbhost
Ford pretty much got it right on the XLT, which is why they are so popular, all the right featres at a good price point...
I disagree. One of the local dealers had roughly 25 trucks on the lot, 23 of which were XLT's - Yes, all but 2 trucks were XLT's. I wasn't in the market for a Platinum, and the FX-4 didn't have the 402A package. It was a wasted trip for me, as the internet said they had a few more FX-4's.

I found my FX-4 at a smaller local dealer, who literally JUST got the exact truck I wanted the day before I signed. According to them, XLT's sit on the lot longer than FX-4's.

It's been a while since I built an XLT, but I don't think you could get navigation, HID's, nor could you get a black interior when I last built one. I didn't really need the navigation, but I wanted HID's and a black interior! I don't think of the XLT as a lesser truck, but in the end it wasn't what I wanted and I refused to settle.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:46 PM
I just purchased a 2013 4x4 XLT crew cab with 5.0 about 2 months ago. I too did not feel the need to spend the extra money on a lariat or fx4. I did not care about all the extra features pertaining to the upper models. All i cared about was leather. I found a dealer that would work with me and I purchased an XLT and they had aftermarket leather installed. Supposed to be better quality then OEM leather. But hey, if you want a lariat or FX4 and can afford it then by all mean go ahead. I didnt feel the need to drop extra money when i wouldn't use them all that often. And since this is a secondary vehicle i don't drive a whole lot. I just rolled over 600 miles and 400 of those were spent going back and forth to FSU games!

Old 11-05-2013, 10:52 AM
I tell you what I got my 2012 XLT when I traded in my 2010 XLT. I could of got a FX4 but it was $4k more, and less of what I wanted. now to all the FX4 owners you all have nice trucks! I just wanted a more plane platform and with the package I got in my XLT I got more truck than I could of got for $4k more in the FX4 platform. its got luxury, chrome, off road, tow, what more could a working truck need?

P.S. the FX4 and XLT have the same springs, shocks, axels only thing that makes one smother than the other is the tries.

Last edited by blueovelboy; 11-05-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Traded my 2011 FX4 for 13 XLT