2009 - 2014 F-150

fog light help

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 12:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fog light help

I am new to this. I just got a new 2013 xl crew cab with 6"lift and all the trimmings to go with it. Does not have factory fog lights. I want to put some on the bull bar but was wanting to, if possible, utilize the oem harness. I was hoping to buy a oem headlight switch w/ the fog light option. Has anyone done this? Any help would be appreciated. I was just trying to keep from adding a toggle switch.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:56 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi & welcome.

Wellsir, several conditions need to be satisfied for this to work:

- harness needs to exist with fog light connectors ( or equivalent access to outputs for same )

- SJB ( smart junction box ) needs to have the embedded, non-serviceable fog light "relay" functionality in place

-SJB needs to already have the requisite switching logic programmed

-harness at the light switch needs to have the relevant fog SJB input wiring in place

-need the correct switch itself (the easy part, lol)

Refer to this diagram ( you can ignore the added Bosch external relay - that is for additional fog light functionality by the end user). I'ts for a 2009 but F150's from 2009-up all use a SJB to consolidate a lot of the lighting controls, so it should be similar for yours.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...d-vsn-1-0.html

[Courtesy and Props to SSCULLY for providing all the diagrams]

Uncertain if your XL model meets any/all the above conditions.

Given the above, you may be better off adding yer own fuse, relay and switch. Some real nice switches here:

http://www.otrattw.com/products.php?cat=21

Note - ALWAYS use a relay and an appropriately sized fuse and wire gauge. Or you risk this:

Good luck!

Cheers

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-01-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Note - ALWAYS use a relay and an appropriately sized fuse and wire gauge. Or you risk this:

Using a relay and a fuse prevents a cat from sleeping on your mailbox???

Old 11-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mkosu04
Using a relay and a fuse prevents a cat from sleeping on your mailbox???

Old 11-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
To the OP;

Please allow me to apologize for the behaviour of the last two senior (acting like anything but) curmudgeons who have provided ZERO help and took the intent of your thread off-topic.

Obviously, they had no useful additonal information to offer, hence resorted to obfuscation and shallow, banal attempts at 'humour'.

For shame. This, sadly, is what F150Online has become for the new folks who are just trying to get some basic help here.

KMAC-Attack was right. It's done - put a fork in it.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Thats ok I can look over a certain degree of ignorance. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:25 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

To the OP;

Please allow me to apologize for the behaviour of the last two senior (acting like anything but) curmudgeons who have provided ZERO help and took the intent of your thread off-topic.

Obviously, they had no useful additonal information to offer, hence resorted to obfuscation and shallow, banal attempts at 'humour'.

For shame. This, sadly, is what F150Online has become for the new folks who are just trying to get some basic help here.

KMAC-Attack was right. It's done - put a fork in it.
Who are you, and what have you done with MGDfan?

Originally Posted by jebwv83
Thats ok I can look over a certain degree of ignorance.
Then you're at the right place!

Seriously OP, listen to MGD. MGD is the expert whut with all thangs wirin' whur 'lectral currencies flows thru 'n whut. Actually, MGD is the expert in all things...period.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:24 PM
Hi & welcome.

Wellsir, several conditions need to be satisfied for this to work:

- harness needs to exist with fog light connectors ( or equivalent access to outputs for same )

- SJB ( smart junction box ) needs to have the embedded, non-serviceable fog light "relay" functionality in place

-SJB needs to already have the requisite switching logic programmed

-harness at the light switch needs to have the relevant fog SJB input wiring in place

-need the correct switch itself (the easy part, lol)

Refer to this diagram ( you can ignore the added Bosch external relay - that is for additional fog light functionality by the end user). I'ts for a 2009 but F150's from 2009-up all use a SJB to consolidate a lot of the lighting controls, so it should be similar for yours.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...d-vsn-1-0.html

[Courtesy and Props to SSCULLY for providing all the diagrams]

Uncertain if your XL model meets any/all the above conditions.

Given the above, you may be better off adding yer own fuse, relay and switch. Some real nice switches here:

http://www.otrattw.com/products.php?cat=21

Good luck!

Cheers
About all I can tell is that the harness to where the oem fog lights should be is not there. However the fuse for the fog lights is in the fuse panel. I was really hoping this wouldnt be a difficult process. I was hoping to buy the proper switch, mount a set of lights and be happy. I believe I am going to mount a set of lights and... try to put my skills to the test and put them on there own circuit with a relay and wire of proper size and type. Thanks for the info. Now I gotta decide switch placement.

Quick Reply: fog light help