2009 - 2014 F-150

How many miles on EB?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 02:05 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
I grew up on V8's too. I also grew up with rotary dial telephones, 8 track tapes, and black & white CRT TV's with 4 channels over an antenna. Computers filled entire rooms and had less computing power than my current wristwatch.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
Just to let you know GMs new premium 6.2 V8 offered in the GMC Sierra & Chevy 1 /2 ton makes 450 ft lbs torque & well over 400HP. It will crush the Eco-Boost in any category! If Ford does not offer the consumer this type of option people will walk away!
The GM 6.2 is actually 420/450. 420 isn't exactly "well over 400", but we'll just let that be. It's fuel economy is 1 less than the EB, so how does the 6.2 "crush" the EB there? Is that extra 30 ft-lbs at a higher RPM going to "crush" the EB in towing? Oh, and those numbers are on premium fuel. The EB's numbers are not. Don't forget, the 6.2L is technology of today. The EB is technology of 3+ years ago!

It's also important to note that V6's make up over 50% of F150 sales. More than half. You know, that means that a MAJORITY of folks buying F150's prefer the V6. Doesn't sound like people are walking away, does it?

Seriously, just quit digging your hole deeper. Sure, it's all about choice, and if you want a V8, then buy it. But don't try to diminish what the EB brings to the table. It's an excellent truck engine, whether you like it or not!

Old 11-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
The GM 6.2 is actually 420/450. 420 isn't exactly "well over 400", but we'll just let that be. It's fuel economy is 1 less than the EB, so how does the 6.2 "crush" the EB there? Is that extra 30 ft-lbs at a higher RPM going to "crush" the EB in towing? Oh, and those numbers are on premium fuel. The EB's numbers are not. Don't forget, the 6.2L is technology of today. The EB is technology of 3+ years ago!

It's also important to note that V6's make up over 50% of F150 sales. More than half. You know, that means that a MAJORITY of folks buying F150's prefer the V6. Doesn't sound like people are walking away, does it?

Seriously, just quit digging your hole deeper. Sure, it's all about choice, and if you want a V8, then buy it. But don't try to diminish what the EB brings to the table. It's an excellent truck engine, whether you like it or not!
I'm not diminishing anything about the EB V6. I'm just saying you won't see me buying one anytime soon or ever! If I'm spending 40-50K for a truck I don't want some turbo-V6 under my hood that sounds like a ricer. There are also many people like me who won't be buying one either. I just prefer the V8 for a whole list of reasons. The Eco-really is not such a great gas saver as it is touted to be. Many people here with 5.0's will back me up on this. Heck my 5.4 gets 20 MPG if I keep it at 60 MPH going down the highway. The longevity of the Eco in the F-150 is yet to be observed. Has there been growing pains with this technology? Absolutely and Ford as far as I know is still figuring it out at the expense of the guinea pigs who bought them. If I had a choice right now of buying a Eco or the competitors V8, guess who's gonna get my $$$. Not Ford. The GM 1/2 Ton 6.2 is the most powerful truck offered in the class for now at least. We will see what Ford has to offer for the 2015 F-150. Only time will tell.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to let you know GMs new premium 6.2 V8 offered in the GMC Sierra & Chevy 1 /2 ton makes 450 ft lbs torque & well over 400HP. It will crush the Eco-Boost in any category! If Ford does not offer the consumer this type of option people will walk away!
Nope, they're slow as ***** compare to a Ford 6.2 and can't transfer the power to the wheels efficiently.

I personally couldn't buy an EB, but they're still faster than a 5.0 and put up better towing numbers. But that's because I personally, just me can't give up the sound. When the vast majority of folks leave their F150s bone stock, who the hell cares what it sounds like? Hell, the EBs sound better than a 5.0 stock because they've got turbo whistle versus quiet.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw

I've read numerous threads here stating that towing heavy with an Eco Ford recommends using premium fuel so that issue is moot. Many here have reported overheating issues while towing heavy loads without using premium octane fuel in the Eco. GM has the most powerful 1/2 ton truck in the segment right now like it or not while suffering only 1 MPG less than an Eco too! I'll give credit where its due. One thing GM does very well is V8 engines. They always have. I'm glad cause it makes Ford better. It is what it is.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Nope, they're slow as ***** compare to a Ford 6.2 and can't transfer the power to the wheels efficiently.

I personally couldn't buy an EB, but they're still faster than a 5.0 and put up better towing numbers. But that's because I personally, just me can't give up the sound. When the vast majority of folks leave their F150s bone stock, who the hell cares what it sounds like? Hell, the EBs sound better than a 5.0 stock because they've got turbo whistle versus quiet.
Like I stated it all comes down to a matter of choice. We both agree that we prefer a V8 to a V6 anyday. The performance difference between the stock Eco & 5.0 is not by a huge margin anyway.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694

Really, not what I have seen on youtube?

Old 11-15-2013, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by glc
I grew up on V8's too. I also grew up with rotary dial telephones, 8 track tapes, and black & white CRT TV's with 4 channels over an antenna. Computers filled entire rooms and had less computing power than my current wristwatch.
I see absolutely no corelation here. V8 technolgy has evolved over the years & is still very much alive. The items you listed just died period.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:09 PM

Really, not what I have seen on youtube?
To which part? The current Chebbies don't put their power down properly compared to the Fords, used to be the other way around. An 08+ 5.3 Chevy will outrun an 04-08 5.4 BAD, but the 5.0s and EBs will beat the *** up and down the block. This is from personally driving dozens of all of them. I haven't driven their 6.2, but the new EcoTecs don't put their "best in class HP" down well.

The problem with cylinder deactivation used by Chevy is that it's only good and beneficial while highway cruising; under load, they get terrible gas mileage. Ford actually used technology for better mileage versus using a trick. If only Ford could use the deactivation too . . .

Last edited by KMAC0694; 11-15-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Your already bitching about it and its not even broke in yet.. You have a 4x4 truck dont expect to get great mileage out of it! Why dont you wait till atleast 5 to 10k miles before complaining about the mileage?

Also it depends how it is being drove, if you are getting into boost every time you hit the throttle your mileage is going to be crap.

I can drive the hell out of my truck pulling a small 5x10 trailer and it will drop down to 13mpgs. Drive it normally and it'll pull 17mpg easily.. Running empty if i drive it hard ill get around 15 and normal driving is 18 to 20 mpg.
Ok just an update;yup theres a problem with it. I previously complained about the poor mpg 9.8,also a clatter and knock in the motor. First I was told this is normal,injector noise. after complaining several times the dealer finally took it in and actually looked at it.Guess what? junk motor. they havn't said what the noise was and they don't know. They are to replace it with a new long block and send the old back to ford so there engineeres can pull it apart and figure it out. So my bitching was justified.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by mtnmanut
Ok just an update;yup theres a problem with it. I previously complained about the poor mpg 9.8,also a clatter and knock in the motor. First I was told this is normal,injector noise. after complaining several times the dealer finally took it in and actually looked at it.Guess what? junk motor. they havn't said what the noise was and they don't know. They are to replace it with a new long block and send the old back to ford so there engineeres can pull it apart and figure it out. So my bitching was justified.
Don't blame you. "Breaking in" doesn't justify mileage being 50-100% lower than it should be haha

Old 11-15-2013, 06:40 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
That's why you have a warranty. I can see waiting a few thousand miles to see if the gas mileage gets any better by itself, but if it doesn't sometimes you have to be persistent. Clatters and knocks definitely aren't normal. Good job.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by mtnmanut
I am so happy you are under warranty at least! Good luck!

Old 11-16-2013, 12:01 AM
[QUOTE=fordmantpw;5036379]The GM 6.2 is actually 420/450. 420 isn't exactly "well over 400", but we'll just let that be. It's fuel economy is 1 less than the EB, so how does the 6.2 "crush" the EB there? Is that extra 30 ft-lbs at a higher RPM going to "crush" the EB in towing? Oh, and those numbers are on premium fuel. The EB's numbers are not. Don't forget, the 6.2L is technology of today. The EB is technology of 3+ years ago!

Seriously, just quit digging your hole deeper. Sure, it's all about choice, and if you want a V8, then buy it. But don't try to diminish what the EB brings to the table. It's an excellent truck engine, whether you like it or not![/QUOTE

Correction the 2014 GMC 6.2 is 420 HP/ 460 Ft Lbs , yes that my friend will crush an Eco-Boost V6!

Old 11-16-2013, 07:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes that my friend will crush an Eco-Boost V6!
...and the Ecoboost will crush that "old dog" that you have under your hood.

Quick Reply: How many miles on EB?