2009 - 2014 F-150

I've done a million brake jobs, no idea whats wrong here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Based on the wear pattern, does that mean one has a slight angle to it?

Old 11-19-2013, 05:47 PM
I did it too! Make sure you have the pads on the proper side of the caliper. One pad has a pattern to fit the pistons, the other does not...

That will fix it. I had the same exact pattern on my disc!

Old 11-20-2013, 12:47 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. It is, 100%, without a doubt, all caused by bad/defective parts. No way to tell without a micrometer if it is the pads or rotors, but I'm leaning heavily towards the pads. Put all the old rusted, scaly, scorched, scored and gouged parts back on and it stops infinitely better than it did with the new parts. Ain't that a bitch.

Local ford dealer wants $210 for a front brake job. I spent 218 on these junk parts. I figured it would be way more than that at the stealership, but it's theirs now. I'm not tearing it back apart. Those 35" tires are heavy.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rickinport
I did it too! Make sure you have the pads on the proper side of the caliper. One pad has a pattern to fit the pistons, the other does not...

That will fix it. I had the same exact pattern on my disc!
Thanks. Looks like I'll take it from the shop currently working on it, back to the shop that did the brakes.

Originally Posted by tdel10
Thanks for all the input guys. It is, 100%, without a doubt, all caused by bad/defective parts. No way to tell without a micrometer if it is the pads or rotors, but I'm leaning heavily towards the pads. Put all the old rusted, scaly, scorched, scored and gouged parts back on and it stops infinitely better than it did with the new parts. Ain't that a bitch.

Local ford dealer wants $210 for a front brake job. I spent 218 on these junk parts. I figured it would be way more than that at the stealership, but it's theirs now. I'm not tearing it back apart. Those 35" tires are heavy.
Sorry for the bad luck. Thats a bummer for sure. Hope with the dealer job, you finally get what you were hoping for.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tdel10

I highly doubt you have defective parts, your only problem is that they are improperly installed in the caliper, as some of us have done (and I have done MANY brake pads myself as well). If you look on the back of the pads you will find small 'alignment pins' that seat the pads around the pistons. If installed backwards the pins will put the pad out of alignment with the rotor. However it will go back together in place as it should and you won't have a clue anything ts wrong until the conditions appear that you have. Install the pads the way that they are suppose to be and all your problems will be gone. This has happened to some of us here.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:31 PM
All 4 pads in that box are identical. There is no front and rear difference. I see the tiny little nuns you are talking about, those are there to give the backing plate something to sit on and have nothing to do with the piston alignment. Don't end come close to lining up.

The pads were manufactured out of spec. Period. The end.

That's what China gives you.

Quick Reply: I've done a million brake jobs, no idea whats wrong here.