2009 - 2014 F-150

No servicable fuel filter???

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 10:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
...EDIT: Does an EB truck have any sort of supplementary filter for fuel? I'd reckon the high pressure injectors would be more prone to damage from particulates than the 'normal' 40 psi variety. Especially after the original in-tank unit has been in service fer a few years.

MGD
Not that I have found on a parts diagram or from poking my head under the truck. I believe they use the same in tank style pump/filter as the other trucks. The hi pressure pump is on the top of the engine so I'm guessing all of the trucks are the same from the tank to the engine. The engineer in me would venture to guess there's a fitting somewhere around the firewall where the lines change for each specific engine. It would simplify (read cut costs) the rest of the fuel system if most of the lines and routing was the same.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookie
Y'all do realize there is a reason for moving the filter.

When the filter is halfway down the line all the junk has to run through the pump. All that trash wears the internal parts of the pump out and they get mixed in with the fuel and pumped to the motor.
Thats bogus. How many of you have had a fuel pump failure? I have had a ton of trucks (40+) for my company and personal use since Ford went to fuel injection in 1987 and never have had to have but one replaced, and it was an '87 that had 2 fuel pumps, a low pressure one in the tank and one in-line (stupid system by the way... they did away with after a couple years). If this was a real problem, it would have been addressed eons ago. The fuel filter in the tank, at least on the ones I have seen is not a sock, but more like a fine metal screen

[/QUOTE]Since most cars have the pump in the tank the filter has to be there too. To deal with this most manufactures have added an access panel to the tank to pull the pump and filter out.[/QUOTE]

But you still have to drop the tank... it's a PITA

Old 12-30-2013, 05:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by crazynip
Thats bogus. How many of you have had a fuel pump failure? I have had a ton of trucks (40+) for my company and personal use since Ford went to fuel injection in 1987 and never have had to have but one replaced, and it was an '87 that had 2 fuel pumps, a low pressure one in the tank and one in-line (stupid system by the way... they did away with after a couple years). If this was a real problem, it would have been addressed eons ago. The fuel filter in the tank, at least on the ones I have seen is not a sock, but more like a fine metal screen
Oh really? I have seen quite a few fuel pumps fail. I saw one that had the pick up tube full of sand and junk and it caused the pump to burn up. Riddle me this, if pumps do no fail why do parts stores keep them in stock? Do they need the extra weight to keep the shelves from floating away or do they get sold on a frequent enough basis to merit keeping them in stock?

Originally Posted by crazynip
But you still have to drop the tank... it's a PITA
Nope, not on most cars on the road today. Almost every car/suv out there has an access panel in the body to get to the top of the tank where the pump is. The last pump I changed out was on a VW Passat and it took about 20 minutes. That included the time it took me to find some plastic to lay down in the trunk so I didn't spill any gas on the carpet. On a truck it will be more of a problem since people don't want a hole in the bed.

Quick Reply: No servicable fuel filter???