2009 - 2014 F-150

Rear Window Rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Window Rattle?

Hey Guys; I've had my F150 FX2 (2013) for 7 months now and as of recent I have started to hear a rattle from what appears to be my rear sliding window. It is sporadic, mostly during low speeds like backing out of my drive-way, and can happen with the window open or close. I have checked everything over, and I can't find anything wrong, nor can I reproduce it at will. I also have not yet had a chance to have someone in the back to try to pinpoint the rattle.

I am wondering if perhaps one of the cables between the roof and roof-liner could be knocking against a panel as the window appears to be secure. Have any of you guys had to deal with a rattle coming from the rear window?

Old 02-11-2014, 01:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, I have the rear window rattle. Since the drought its been rattling everyday. It Rains its gone. Its a maddening noise for sure. I havent had time to mess with it...just been turning up stereo on rough roads. Per some old TSB's it sounds like you either put felt tape in the track of the small slider window or synthetic water resistant grease around the outer rear seal (under). In my case my switch has started to act up as it opens quick but takes couple touches to close.....so I think i will let the dealer handle it and hope all goes well.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:25 AM
Cuz
My '13 does that. As well as about 5 other rattles. I've been in and out and in and out of dealerships with this bs! Drives me ape****, all the rattles! My only REAL complaint with my truck is all the rattles... Doors, windows and something in the front end/steering column area. I've fixed more than the dealership has fixed!
My best suggestion is to get someone to drive it on rough roads while you ride back there and pinpoint the noises. Then use felt pads to eliminate the problem, if you can find it. Good luck and let us know if you find it.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:21 PM
Cuz

I will definitely report back with my findings. That seemed to be a problem with all the threads I searched about these issues, nobody ever posted follow ups on how they solved a particular rattle problem or had no idea what the dealer did to fix them. Update, since the rain has returned to Northern Cal, my rear window stopped rattling. It's supposed to be dry for a week so I'm sure it will return soon, unfortunately. I've been working too much to bring it in mainly for the switch issue I'm having. Since I'm not using the window, I may wait until I can grease around the outer window seal first to pinpoint my issue(s) using white synthetic grease.
I hear you on other rattles. I've heard a rattle from that little piece on the dash above the cluster once or twice when it was in the 20's here, my passenger door rattled just the other day (not seatbelt I always check that). Then when the cabin is up to temperature, they seem to go away and this truck is the most quiet vehicle I've ever owned....when the rear window isn't acting up. I have come to believe that the interior trim on these trucks are real susceptible to heat/cold expansion and contraction. However, I do love my truck . Good luck chasing your rattles out and yes please report back!

Old 02-26-2014, 12:35 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by greenmotion
Hey Guys; I've had my F150 FX2 (2013) for 7 months now and as of recent I have started to hear a rattle from what appears to be my rear sliding window. ...
Originally Posted by RedWoodsMan1
Yes, I have the rear window rattle. ...
Originally Posted by Cuz
My '13 does that. As well as about 5 other rattles. I've been in and out and in and out of dealerships with this bs! ...
greenmotion, RedWoodsMan1, and Cuz,

My name is Ashley and I'm the new Ford Customer Service rep here on the forum. I see that this thread is from a couple weeks ago, but if you are still experiencing this concern, send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll see how I can help.

Ashley

Old 03-02-2014, 10:29 PM
Cuz
Sending my info, Ashely. Thanks

Old 03-12-2014, 12:49 AM
Thank you Ashley and welcome. I've seen the presence of Ford reps when stalking the other forum. Still to busy with work to deal with it. Shoved rolled up paper towel up piece in rear window track in top by headliner to experiment. Noise in rear window quieted substantially. Will let you know if I need help.

Green, Cuz - any resolution to your issues?

Old 03-12-2014, 01:34 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you Ashley and welcome. ... Will let you know if I need help. ...
Sure thing, RedWoodsMan1. Just let me know if you need me!

Ashley

Old 03-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Cuz
Thank you Ashley and welcome. I've seen the presence of Ford reps when stalking the other forum. Still to busy with work to deal with it. Shoved rolled up paper towel up piece in rear window track in top by headliner to experiment. Noise in rear window quieted substantially. Will let you know if I need help.

Green, Cuz - any resolution to your issues?
Nope, "Ashely, and the dealership, now say that my rattles are a result of "my aftermarket mods". Which is a 2" level. Lmao. What a joke! Funny how they tried a dozen times to fix and now that they 'can't' it's my fault...

Old 03-15-2014, 06:41 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Blaming a window rattle on a 2" level? So much for a "helpful Ford service rep"...........

Old 03-15-2014, 08:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Blaming a window rattle on a 2" level? So much for a "helpful Ford service rep"...........
He also says he has a clunk in the steering after the 2" level and Ford can't fix that either...

I agree that it's unlikely the 2" level is causing his rear window rattle as well, but I have a electric rear slide window and mine does NOT rattle...

Yes, I'm picking on CUZ because after only reading two of his posts so far it's funny!

Mitch

Old 03-15-2014, 08:58 PM
glc
I can see them charging him to fix the clunk, but not the window.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:18 PM
I didn't read that they charged him?? I'm sure I missed that part...

Mitch

Old 03-16-2014, 12:22 AM
glc
That's not what I meant - I meant that they wouldn't cover the clunking under warranty.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:14 AM
After he added the 2" level kit from what I understand is when the clunk started.

Quick Reply: Rear Window Rattle?