2009 - 2014 F-150

Cell Phone Remote Start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cell Phone Remote Start?

I just upgraded from my 2008 Super Crew XLT to a 2013 SuperCrew FX4. The dealership didn't have any 2013 brochures so I took a 2014 and I saw one of the pictures showed a smart phone with the keyfob features(lock, unlock, start). I couldn't see any information on how that works. Does anybody have that? Was it on the 2013 as well?

My truck does have the remote start from Ford, but I haven't been impressed with the range.

Thanks

Old 02-16-2014, 10:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My understanding is that it works over the cellular network, so it would have the same restrictions as your phone. There is also a subscription fee for it, which I think is why it isn't talked about here much, no one wants to pay for a service to start their vehicles.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:08 AM
Cell phone remote start

I hate to say it but that was one feature the Chevy dealer ( i was looking at a 2014 silverado ) was showing me,it can start ,unlock doors,miles drove,current mpg and a few other features. It's linked to the on star feature. If I understood correctly the first 6 months are free and after that its a fee in a pkg from on star offers like $20 pkg or a $30 pkg a month.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Its thru ford accessories, and IIRC they want 750 bucks for it, plus the subscription fee. I looked into it right after I got my truck, because I agree, the factory installed remote start range sucks.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:18 PM
You can pick up the remote starter for around $400. It is easy to install yourself and then you will have to take it to the dealer and have them turn the feature on in your truck. Do a search for "remote access" to get details. You will have to pay a yearly fee for it

Old 02-16-2014, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by King Nothing
You can pick up the remote starter for around $400. It is easy to install yourself and then you will have to take it to the dealer and have them turn the feature on in your truck. Do a search for "remote access" to get details. You will have to pay a yearly fee for it
I wish it was only $400. It's $400 for the remote/cell service module, and then you have to buy the vehicle security module for around $250. Couple in the dealer turn-on, and it's right around the $750 quoted earlier. I would love to have this feature, but that's a lot of money.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:53 AM
My wife's 2013 Explorer doesn't have remote start, and she was jealous of my F150 having it. Yes the dealership wanted $800 to install and then you would have an extra key fob to carry because her key didn't have a blank for that. So I checked with the local stereo shop. They can install a unit for $300, and it works off the 'lock' button, press it 3x and the vehicle starts. So go check you local shops for an aftermarket kit.

Trending Topics

Old 02-17-2014, 04:33 AM

I think my viper remote start/alarm would normally be $700. I got a deal for around $400. For i think $10 a month i can get the app to start n lock/unlock my trruck with my phone from anywhere. Keyfob has a 1 mile distance.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:55 AM
I'm not interested with installing an aftermarket remote start on top of my factory remote start. I can only imagine that causing problems. I was hoping Ford was being reasonable for the service.

After thinking about how it will go through my cell phone device I looked at my cell company's website and they had an advertisement for a device that plugs into the OBDII port on my truck that will work with anything the factory keyfob will do and their website says that does include the remote start. I looked up the device they're selling and the manufacturer say's that it will not work with a 4 button key fob so it won't remote start.

Looks like a stop by my cell company is in the future.

http://delphiconnect.com/car_fitment...p#.UwIFe_ldU0A

Old 02-17-2014, 08:50 AM
http://accessories.ford.com/aerial-asy-10667.html

I agree with everyone else that this is cool and I'd love to have it to be able to start my truck from my desk but not for $550+ up front plus $50 a year.

Last edited by Scooter70; 02-17-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Here's the link from my phone company. This seems much more reasonable than Fords option.

http://www.uscellular.com/vehicle-se...onitoring.html

Old 02-17-2014, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by rob_b
Here's the link from my phone company. This seems much more reasonable than Fords option.

http://www.uscellular.com/vehicle-se...onitoring.html
The capability will probably be built into certain levels of trucks in the next gen. GM is doing it through OnStar and a phone app.

I'm sure Ford will do something similar. My wife's caddy has it, it's pretty cool. Part of the standard $20 a month OnStar service.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't understand why this is so expensive. When all new ford vehicles can send check engine light codes to your ford account by the press of a button. Obviously the new vehicles are capable just ford trying to pinch the customers for more cash... Once ford sees this is a great option and other manufacturers are cheaper for the feature, price will come down.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Eventually ford will have to reduce the price if they want to sell this item. You can get an aftermarket system that does this and a lot more for less.

The one I plan on getting has PKE (perimeter keyless entry) it unlocks the doors w/o pushing any buttons when you get with in 10' of the vehicle and lock the doors when you get out of range, has pushbutton start so you don't need a key anymore, has a smart start feature so you can use your phone to control the vehicle from anywhere you can get a signal and it uses a sim card so there is no subscription fee (but you still have to pay your carrier to keep the sim card active) and has a bluetooth feature that allows you to leave the fob at home and now you phone can take the place of the keyfob for the PKE functions and the pushbutton start. and the entire system is 450. Tack on 30 bucks more for the module to bypass ford passkey system.

http://www.innovativeignitionsystems...m-31-rfid/cw16

Old 02-18-2014, 12:02 PM
I installed the Ford Remote Access on my 2013 FX4 in my garage, it was then set-up by the online dealer I purchased the kit from. $410.00 shipped. I suggest doing more research before you go aftermarket as I don't think aftermarket units will work with your auto climate controls. There are several threads on the subject on various F150 sites.

Here ya go;

m.f150forum.com/showthread.php?t...

Last edited by phowler; 02-18-2014 at 12:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Cell Phone Remote Start?