2009 - 2014 F-150

Please help with upper control arm install

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help with upper control arm install

Well I'm a novice and working on vehicles but decided I would give it a shot. I have a 2010 platinum. I first did the brakes and rotors on front end. No problems there. Starting taking apart upper control arm and all was going smooth, the end was in sight then realized I could not slide the top two bolts out because the shock and spring was in the way. Anyone have any easy ways of getting those out?

Old 04-30-2014, 07:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeagles
Well I'm a novice and working on vehicles but decided I would give it a shot. I have a 2010 platinum. I first did the brakes and rotors on front end. No problems there. Starting taking apart upper control arm and all was going smooth, the end was in sight then realized I could not slide the top two bolts out because the shock and spring was in the way. Anyone have any easy ways of getting those out?
The entire strut must be removed to get those bolts out. Three nuts on top and one huge bolt and nut on the bottom.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:34 PM
Don't you have to still lower the bottom control arm to remove the strut even if you get all the those bolts out? If so could I just take off the top 3 nuts then undo the tie rod and sway bar and the strut will drop so I can remove the bolts?

Old 06-02-2014, 08:16 PM
How long did the process take you? Im thinking of getting a uniball UCA and would try putting it on myself. Was it very difficult?

Old 06-09-2014, 07:09 AM
It wasn't bad at all pretty easy. The tough part was just removing the strut but once I got the proper tool (a breaker bar) that was easy too. Both sides could easily be done in inder two hours, and much less than that if you know what your doing.

Quick Reply: Please help with upper control arm install