2009 - 2014 F-150

Grinding/Scraping Noise Under Truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grinding/Scraping Noise Under Truck

So I left for work the other day, driving down my road and I hear a grinding or scraping noise from under my truck. What it sounded like, and my initial thought, was my exhaust or some other piece of metal was dragging on the asphalt. Since I installed the exhaust myself a few months ago, I thought there was a real possibility that maybe something was loose and my exhaust did in fact come loose and was dragging on the road. I pull over immediately and check under the back end of the truck. Exhaust is in place and there is nothing dragging on the ground. I do a walk-around to make sure that there is no metal on metal grinding or anything. I couldn't see anything obvious. I jump back in the truck and drive another 15 feet or so with the door open. The sound is definitely coming from under the truck and it is not pleasant. I remember reading a similar issue on another forum and the person had shifted to 4h, then back to 2h and the issue went away. So I gave it a try. Shifted to 4h from a stop then began driving slowly again. Grinding noise went away immediately. So I drove a little further with no more sound. While still moving, I shifted back to 2h and still no grinding noise. I drove around a little more and the sound was completely gone. I have driven it since with no issues.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew what the issue was or if this is common? I know the official answer will be to take it to the dealer to have it checked out, but if I can't reproduce the problem, I know there is nothing they can do. Now that the issue is gone, I'm not worried about it, I am just curious as to what would cause the problem and why shifting to 4x4 and back would solve it. Thanks!

Old 04-30-2014, 08:29 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Old 04-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Wow. No wonder I couldn't find it in a search. Good info. I learned a lot just now. So since I am no longer having an issue (at least not in the past few days), I wonder if I should still make a trip to the dealer?

Thanks for the link glc.

EDIT: Wait...after reading it again, and some of the comments, I'm wondering if this is my issue. They are saying that one of the symptoms is the inability to shift to and from 4x4. I didn't have an issue doing that.

Last edited by il_duce; 04-30-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:18 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
I'd tell the dealer what happened and get him to document it if nothing else - if it happens again after the warranty is expired you would have a good shot getting it covered.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:27 PM
I figured I'd update this for anyone else that searches for this problem.

I took the truck to the dealership this morning because the problem was getting worse. I had narrowed it down to it only happening when I was decelerating from 45 MPH or above and turning right. It started happening almost every time on my way to work.

So after about 9 hours at the dealership, the service rep called me and told me to come pick up the truck. They ended up replacing the IWE solenoid on both sides, but the service writer told me that the damage was caused by my level. They claim both solenoids were cracked. They either didn't tell Ford about the level or Ford gave them the go ahead for this one time. I asked to speak to the tech that worked on it because I was/am curious as to how they were sure that the level caused the damage. He had already left for the day by the time I got there to pick up the truck.

Whether the damage was a result of the level or not, I gotta say I appreciate them covering it under warranty at least this time. They could have just as easily told me to pound sand if it truly was because of the level. I don't know enough about the solenoids to know how the level would impact this and cause them to crack.

Now the situation has me second guessing the level. I knew that I would have premature wear, but I wasn't expecting problems after only 3,000 miles.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:30 AM
Doubt the level caused it, probs blowing smoke. You have 2 solenoids?..

Old 06-12-2014, 11:34 AM
or your referring to the IWE solenoid as the IWE actuator. As in both front actuators were cracked.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Sbradenadams
Doubt the level caused it, probs blowing smoke. You have 2 solenoids?..
I am hoping that they are. Possibly just a reason to deny further warranty. According to the paperwork they gave me after the completed work, yes, two solenoids. I am not savvy in this area, so I took their word on it.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Sbradenadams
or your referring to the IWE solenoid as the IWE actuator. As in both front actuators were cracked.
The statement of work said "replaced both IWE solenoids."

Old 06-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Service advisor's mistake.. There is only one solenoid for the front hubs, I believe they moved to the the Drivers side firewall instead of passenger side either in 2012 or 2013 because of water issues. In my 2013 its located drivers side firewall.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:49 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by il_duce
I am hoping that they are. Possibly just a reason to deny further warranty. According to the paperwork they gave me after the completed work, yes, two solenoids. I am not savvy in this area, so I took their word on it.
^^^ Bingo! ^^^

I'm glad they fixed ye up, and I doubt very seriously the issue was caused by the level.

Quick Reply: Grinding/Scraping Noise Under Truck