2009 - 2014 F-150

Ecoboost Oil Change Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 12:57 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
OK.. Simply put, a liquid will seek its own level. Try it with a straw and a glass of water. The water in the straw will not be higher than the water in the glass. Did I really need to explain this? It is physics 101. Perry is a little testy..........
i would be testy as well had you done that to me.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bluejay
i would be testy as well had you done that to me.
By simply stating something is not true?

And I didn't call him a liar, I said his statement was not true, that doesn't make him a liar, just misinformed.
Many supercharged and turbo engines do not empty the oil directly back to the pan and they do not cause leaks at the shaft seals.
If they do drain to the pan it would be wise to have the exit slightly under the oil level so the windage from the crank wouldn't whip it around.
Hope he makes note of this when he installs turbos on his Cobra.

Last edited by aussiekeeper; 06-14-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:31 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
By simply stating something is not true? And I didn't call him a liar, I said his statement was not true, that doesn't make him a liar, just misinformed. Many supercharged and turbo engines do not empty the oil directly back to the pan and they do not cause leaks at the shaft seals. If they do drain to the pan it would be wise to have the exit slightly under the oil level so the windage from the crank wouldn't whip it around. Hope he makes note of this when he installs turbos on his Cobra.
good post. Your original post could be interpreted to be calling him a liar or incorrect, either way but it really didn't help anyone with good info. Just irritated. This post is informative and and can lead to good discussion. Thank you. Now we all need to let it drop and move on.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Facts

4.1 Turbocharger Oil Drain Configuration
Turbocharger oil control and turbocharger oil leakage are commonly misunderstood topics. Primary oil control in a turbocharger is accomplished via oil slingers machined into the compressor and/or turbine end of the rotating assembly that sling oil off of the assembly as it rotates. The oil that is slung from the rotating assembly is collected by the center housing and funneled to the turbo oil drain. Therefore, the turbocharger center housing must be oriented such that the turbo oil feed and turbo oil drain passages are completely vertical or within 15° of a vertical position with the turbo oil feed at the top. If the center housing is improperly positioned, the oil will not be able to exit the center housing properly causing the oil level in the housing to rise to the level of the seal areas and the turbocharger will "leak oil."

Similarly, the turbocharger oil drain system, if improperly designed, will also cause the turbocharger to “leak oil”. To prevent this, the turbo oil drain system must be designed according to the following guidelines.
1.The turbo oil drain system must be constructed with a reasonable inside diameter, typically no smaller than the turbo oil drain hole in the bottom of the center housing. For example, a turbo oil drain system designed for a Garrett T3/T4 turbocharger should maintain a 7/16” minimum inside diameter at all points in the system to facilitate proper turbocharger oil control.

2.The turbo oil drain system must maintain a continual downward slope free of kinks and sharp bends from the turbocharger to the engine penetration (i.e., engine block or oil pan). No “traps” are allowed in the turbo oil drain system.

3.The turbocharger oil drain system must return into the engine above the engine oil level. The turbo oil drain may not be connected to the oil pan drain connection.
People should read up on turbochargers if they would like them to last.
Good Luck,
Perry.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have built turbocharged and supercharged engines. The manufacturer of a particular brand may require your setup, however most do not. Don't forget, even the drain from the compressor wheel shaft is pressurized. I agree, the drain tube should be kink free and have plenty of diameter to exhaust hot oil as well as a good path to exit. I always had the oil exit just below the pan oil level to lessen the possibility of oil sling from the crank. I have never had compressor seal fail............

Quick Reply: Ecoboost Oil Change Issue