2009 - 2014 F-150

Ecoboost Oil Change Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ecoboost Oil Change Issue

I have a 2013 ecoboost and was doing some research and ran across where a dealer had overfilled the ecoboost on oil. Remembered on my first oil change at 6100 miles I asked why I was charged for 7 quarts of oil and got snapped back at with " Well...your truck is an ecoboost and it does take 7 quarts of oil." So go home check the oil now with 7400 miles on it and it's over by about a quart.

Yesterday, go to the dealership and the service manager states "all ecoboost hold 6.5 quarts of oil and some hold more." Showed him the owners manual where it says 6 and he said "that's wrong, that's just a suggestion" and told me my truck was not overfilled he guaranteed it. We then go to the parking lot where he can't believe his eyes... it's overfilled. Pulls it in does a proper oil fliter and change and puts 6 quarts in it and it shows right in the middle of safe.

Now, my issue is this, he would not guarantee it didnt harm the motor, and his solution to this was to document it on my reciept that it was changed due to being overfilled. What kind of damage would being overfilled due after 1300 miles? It states in the manual overfilling can cause damage and at only 7400 miles that's my biggest worry in all this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:37 AM

That service dept is filled with morons.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:36 AM
I'd relax, I doubt a quart of oil over the recommended would 'damage' the engine. Just like a quart low won't damage an engine.

The key concern is overfilling to the point of rotating parts dipping into the oil and causing aeration. The oil pump would be pumping aerated oil, you'd lose pressure, and start damaging rotating elements of the engine.

I can honestly say I've NEVER heard of a single quart of overfill causing problems. Why? Because the engine is also designed to operate at ± a certain angle. If 1 quart is the difference between the crank hitting the oil surface, the engine wouldn't be able to operate at inclines, or the back of the crank would hit the oil surface even if normally filled.

As you overfill an engine, the angle at which the crank hits the oil surface approaches 0°. Since we are talking trucks, designed for on/off road use, I would suspect on mostly level driving, you wouldn't have issues until you hit 2+ quarts over filled.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:35 PM
As mentioned above, probably not enough to worry about. I had a similar experience on my wives 2011 2.5L Fusion, the dealership overserviced oil by at least 1 qt. I caught it a few days later, and had her take it back, the dealership drained it, wrote it up, and returned the vehicle. The same occurence at next oil change, the dealer seriously overserviced oil, about 2.5" above the top dot on the dipstick. I started to have it towed in, but decided to have the wife take it back. The Service Manager refused to drain the oil because they would not overservice a car on an oil change. The Service Manager was never at the dealer when I called or went by after work. I documented in writing what had occured. I even took numerous pictures of oil on the dipstick. I drained at least 2 qts of oil and reinstalled the plug. I rechecked the oil level and had to drain more from the oil pan. It totaled a little over 2 qts when I poured it in an old oil container.

The dealer called a few months later to schedule the next oil service. I literally laughed out loud and asked if she was serious? I then explained the last two service problems in detail, and then told her to put a note in their database to never call me again for any reason.

I haven't received a call since then. I now check her car when it returns from an oil change, which I now have accomplished at a different dealership. I change the oil in my DD truck, no worries there.

Last edited by Blue07STX; 05-14-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Looks like I better check the manual to see what the proper amount of oil is correct before I take mine in. I've never had a problem in 14 years of dealing with this dealer, but the tech who always serviced my vehicles left the dealer for a city job. My 13 is due for it's first oil change.

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 05-15-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, these stories had me really worried. I've changed my own oil in my trucks all my life, but due to a recent disability, I can no longer do it. I decided to go to the dealer for my first ever oil change after 35 years of car/truck ownership.

They did OK I guess, but not perfect in my eyes. I always get my oil level in the top 1/3 of the hash marks which would usually be 1/2 quart less than the required 7 quarts (2009 5.4). Yep - the oil is above the hash mark and right on the hole in the dipstick. I guess it will be OK as I have to learn to let someone else work on my truck now. I'm pretty sure they just dumped 7 quarts in and called it good.

This is in now way a problem at all compared to what the folks are posting here, that for sure!

Old 05-14-2014, 06:47 PM
I appreciate all the feedback. I don't think it did any damage to the motor... however, you honestly never know. I have dealt with this dealer numerous times and have yet to have issues till now. That being said, my truck and the wifes 2012 fusion will be in the market for a new dealer. Still believe that a phone call to Ford Customer Service might be in order. If they do this to "all" ecoboost engines as the service manager stated I guarantee I'm not the only one driving around overfilled. Even the main branch of this dealers service dept. couldnt believe what they were doing and informed me that the owners manual is not just a "recomendation". Thanks again I appreciate the feedback

Old 06-12-2014, 11:35 AM
ahahahah, "some hold more" are you serious?

Old 06-12-2014, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by Sbradenadams
ahahahah, "some hold more" are you serious?
I was just thinking the same thing. Some people can be so ignorant and/or lazy.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Casey05
I was just thinking the same thing. Some people can be so ignorant and/or lazy.
X2
...and don't expect the dealerships top technicians to do your oil changes. Expect the $8 per hour shop monkey to do your oil changes.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:29 PM
Exclamation Turbo drain

Hi,
On a turbocharged engine the oil drain from the turbo goes back into the oil pan above the oil level in the pan. If you overfill the pan so the level is above the oil drain line then the oil will not drain from the turbo properly and back up and blow the seals in the turbo.
Perry.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by 1cobra
Hi,
On a turbocharged engine the oil drain from the turbo goes back into the oil pan above the oil level in the pan. If you overfill the pan so the level is above the oil drain line then the oil will not drain from the turbo properly and back up and blow the seals in the turbo.
Perry.
^^not true^^^

Old 06-13-2014, 09:41 PM
If you are going to call me a liar then at least sign your name

Last edited by Bluejay; 06-13-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:39 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Aussiekeeper, could you at least explain why you disagree with the post? That would be the way to properly discuss the issue.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:33 AM
OK.. Simply put, a liquid will seek its own level. Try it with a straw and a glass of water.
The water in the straw will not be higher than the water in the glass.
Did I really need to explain this? It is physics 101.
Perry is a little testy..........

Quick Reply: Ecoboost Oil Change Issue