2009 - 2014 F-150

Help with Unknown possible fuel pump/sending unit issue - Uknown

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Unknown possible fuel pump/sending unit issue - Uknown

Having an issue im hoping somebody here can assist me with, sorry I was unsure of where to post this as Im not sure the exact problem/category it fits into. Anyways, about a week ago I had 3/4 of fuel in my 2010 Ford F150. Out of no where, the needle had dropped and the 50 miles to E chime sounded. I was a bit confused, but deducted that I must have driven more than I though to empty the tank. At the pump, i was amazed when the pump shut off at around $50.00. Usually it takes about 120.00 to fill my tank. Fuel guage read full tank, 590 miles to E. Yesterday while driving on the highway with at least 1/2 of a tank, mileage fell from about 300 miles to 75ish to E, and continued to rapidly fall (approximately 5 miles on the digital gas guage readout, to every actual 1 mile or so driven). To sum it up, it was dropping much quicker than usual. Knowing that I had around 1/2 tank in it (haven't seen any gas leaks, etc) I assumed something was bad with the float assembly and I could drive it beyond 0 miles to E. At about 8 miles to E, truck began to shimmer and or shudder as if it were running out of gas. Managed to pull over to a gas station, truck once again took around $50.00 to fill up, so again, it had plenty of fuel still in the tank. As i inserted the gas nozzle, a hissing sound occurred. I've never heard my tank hiss before while filling (Im assuming the hissing was built up pressure of some kind). No more issues yesterday. Finally, today while driving on the highway, truck was reading around 3/4 of a tank. After driving for about 8 mins, gas gauge readout dropped from 362 to 305 miles to E while I was observing it, and continued to fall rapidly and for the first time the check engine light came on. Any suggestions on what this could be would greatly be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 09-01-2014, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went to Auto Zone and had the code read, it is P1450 Definition:Unable to Bleed Up Bleed Fuel Tank Vacuum

Possible Causes:
- Blocked EVAP canister or vent solenoid
- Kinked or collasped hose between canister and fuel tank
- Faulty Fuel Tank Pressure (FTP) sensor
- Fuel filler cap stuck closed, preventing vacuum relief

Any Advice on where I can start as I dont have the funds for a dealer repair? Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Help with Unknown possible fuel pump/sending unit issue - Uknown