2009 - 2014 F-150

Driver's Side Turbo Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver's Side Turbo Oil Leak

Hi everyone, looking to see if anyone has heard of turbos leaking oil?

Anyway, bought a new 2014 FX4 SCAB Ecoboost last JUL. I love my new truck. Traded a 06 FX4 SCAB for the 2014.

Removed the LWR cover to change the oil for the 1st time. Noticed oil on the inside surface on the LWR cover around the area where the input shaft attaches to the front DIF. After further inspection, noticed a drip on the inlet tube to the compressor. The tube and the band clamp was wet. Oil was pooling on top of the DIF input shaft housing. Must not be leaking too bad, since I have not noticed a drop on the dip stick. My truck has 7500 miles on it. Will be taking the truck back to the dealer for repair.

Anyway, has anyone seen this problem?

Also, when I start the truck in the morning, within a MIN or 2, I hear a pop, sounds like pressure relief from the turbo. Will not repeat that day. Only pops on the 1st start of the day.

Thanks

Old 01-19-2015, 10:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The turbos use engine oil to cool and lubricate the bearings in the center part. Most often an oil leak on a low mileage entire I is due to the installer not getting the fittings tight enough. The oil can also leak past the seals and into the tubing that leads to the intercooler. That normally only happens on engines that have been modded to make more power.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took my truck in this morning. They provided me with a rental. At the end of day they called me and said that they needed to replace the turbo. The impeller seal was leaking. They said it would be 10 -14 days to get the part and that when the part came in they would set up another appointment for the replacement. I was kind of surprised that it would take that long to get the part. They indicated it would be a direct ship from the supplier. Hopefully the leak will not get any worst before the replacement.

Quick Reply: Driver's Side Turbo Oil Leak