2009 - 2014 F-150

2012 Supercrew cab leak - suspect sunroof not 3rd brake light

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Supercrew cab leak - suspect sunroof not 3rd brake light

I know there are LOTS of posts on leaks and believe me I've read them but I'm at the end of my rope so please help. I have a 2012 supercrew cab with sunroof and sliding rear glass. I've chased a leak for weeks that is staining the headliner above the drivers side headrest and towards the rear corner of the cab. The water appears to drip from this back corner down onto the soundproofing between the cab and bed and onto the carpet. It saturates everything. The tip off was the nasty odor that began. I know its done it twice, both times while parked nose up drivers side slightly lower. I water hosed the back glass, third brake light and the top of cab body strip with rivet and cannot get water into the truck. Just for kicks I did pull the third brake light and saw no signs of water, so I RTV silicone it back on. But today....I suspected maybe the gasket on the sunroof leaking so I opened the roof and poured a glass of water slowly into the tray. Water poured from the headliner in exactly the same spot! I know there are two drains on the front of the sunroof tray but are there any on the back? At the attitude my truck was parked, if water seeped past the gasket it could not have reached the front drains it would have ran towards the rear. If the drains exist where do they terminate and can you visibly see them? How could they be checked for clogs? I can't see back in there far enough. There is definitely water coming into the cab from the tray for sure. Is there anything that you can or are supposed to put on the rubber gasket to maintain it or aid it's waterproofing ability? The gasket appears to be in good shape and has no craked, dryness or brittleness. It does seem a little chalky but water seems to bead on it. The truck has lived almost entirely in the garage so the gasket has not had a hard life....

Last edited by WHOZNEXT; 01-25-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:15 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
No warranty?

Old 01-25-2015, 05:12 PM
Don't know about a warranty, I have 42,700 miles. I am going to take it by the local dealer tomorrow (not my selling dealer, where I bought it is 3hrs away). The main thing I'm trying to find out right now is if anyone knows about the drains on the sunroof tray. Either there aren't any drains on the rear, or mine are clogged (don't know how they would be) or possibly the hose is not connected?

One thing is clear - water poured in the tray drains into the inside of the truck when the front is higher than the rear by any amount. Does anybody know why?

Old 01-26-2015, 11:32 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WHOZNEXT
Don't know about a warranty, I have 42,700 miles. I am going to take it by the local dealer tomorrow (not my selling dealer, where I bought it is 3hrs away)...
Keep us posted on what you hear from the dealer, WHOZNEXT. Once you've had your truck checked out I'll be able to look into ways to assist.

Crystal

Old 01-26-2015, 11:44 AM
I did go by my local dealer today. The service rep and I determined there ARE rear drains on the sunroof tray and he agreed that something is wrong with one of them for water to empty directly into the truck from the tray. The headliner needs to come down to inspect/fix the problem. He said that it wasn't covered under warranty and the selling dealer said the same thing per phone. I did purchase the ESP 72/100,000 miles plan with my truck but this is apparently not included. So upon advice from the local dealer I contacted factory customer service. I've got a case number and awaiting a call back from a customer review manager. I sure hope to get a positive outcome because I like Fords, have bought 5 new ones since 2004 and 1 slightly used!

Old 01-27-2015, 11:31 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WHOZNEXT
...So upon advice from the local dealer I contacted factory customer service. I've got a case number and awaiting a call back from a customer review manager...
Thanks for following up, WHOZNEXT. PM me your case number; I'll be happy to keep an eye on things for you.

Crystal

Quick Reply: 2012 Supercrew cab leak - suspect sunroof not 3rd brake light