2009 - 2014 F-150

Dash rumble = Should I be worried?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash rumble = Should I be worried?

Hello all,

I have a 4.6L 2009 XLT crew cab with 4x4, tow package, 6.5 foot bed and 3.73 gear. I opened my door and climbed in as usual. I heard a slight rumble sorta like a muted buzzer sound right before I inserted the key and started the ignition.

After I left the parking lot from my shopping excursion, I noticed my mpg computer reset itself and started to recalculate in real time. Well I took advantage of the situation and grannyed the throttle as I went home about 30 miles away. I got to about 25.3 mpg... it was my highest peak average speed about 45 mph.

Sometimes my mpg readout doesn't update in real time, more like a tenth of a mile per week on average and may read much lower at around 16 mpg with the truck with no cargo or trailer attached. I drive like a granny most of the time. Most times, I take it easy on the throttle and tend to hover at the posted speed.

During this past new years, I was going through the mountains in West Virgina pulling a 4000 lb trailer with 5 people on board. During that West Virginia trip... I averaged 10.5 mpg. I was averaging about 3000 rpm and several times I have hit 4500 rpm just to maintain 75 mph.

Real question is: Is it something to worry about the muted buzzer sound coming from the dash? Could it be the starter that is about to go or something like that?

My total mileage is about 130,000 miles. Yes, I average about 20K+ miles per year. I do lots of freelance work that requires me to drive.

Thanks in advance guys!

Martin

Last edited by dogtired107; 02-21-2015 at 10:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Dash rumble = Should I be worried?