2009 - 2014 F-150

PTM Project and some extras

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my new tailgate badge in and it is painted to match like the grille emblem. Vinyl work has been shipped to me and should be here soon. I am going to start installing tonight and probably go through the weekend as time permits. I am working Overtime at work and have a July 4th get together happening at my house so I will get the parts installed when I can. Pics to come.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:35 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
Have a happy 4th, Robert. The truck will still be there. People who are close to us are a gift we need to take time to cherish.

- Jack

Old 07-03-2015, 07:09 AM
Thank you, you do the same. I am looking forward to the downtime and relaxation.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:27 PM
Well I got off early today so I managed to get the badges done since my vinyl work came in. I learned a lesson today. I won't do vinyl again. The quality I expect can never be achieved with vinyl. The guy did a good job on the stuff, it just doesn't have the look I want on the Ford ovals. I think I am going to buy 2 new ovals and try and take them apart and paint them the right way.

Anyway, these will work until then. They still need to get good and hot to get rid of some air bubbles and creases but they will get there. All the black matches the Truck color.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:17 PM
Ok, by a show of hands, who all knew I had the wrong mirror caps?!?!?!

I got all my badges on, tailgate handle on turn signal fillers on and that is when I realized I had the wrong mirror caps. lol

The ones I bought are for trucks that already have PTM caps. I need the full single piece that you have to tape off. Oh wait. I bet I can buy the lower piece and just replace that? Anyone know if that is the case?

Edit: Nevermind. I think I am tired. I have the right parts. I did not realize the part behind the mirror glass was not the back panel of the mirror. Time to pour some Makers and call it a night and try again tomorrow. lol

Last edited by Blue150; 07-03-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good progress! I enjoy seeing this stuff. So much more rewarding when you are putting the time and effort in by yourself also. I had my PTM work done by the dealership body manager who I am good friends with, pretty much got the OEM look exact, everything down to the orange peel. I wasn't upset over orange peel because the whole truck is already orange peeled and looks awful with it. Oh well, because of that it matches .

Originally Posted by Blue150
Ok, by a show of hands, who all knew I had the wrong mirror caps?!?!?!

I got all my badges on, tailgate handle on turn signal fillers on and that is when I realized I had the wrong mirror caps. lol

The ones I bought are for trucks that already have PTM caps. I need the full single piece that you have to tape off. Oh wait. I bet I can buy the lower piece and just replace that? Anyone know if that is the case?

Edit: Nevermind. I think I am tired. I have the right parts. I did not realize the part behind the mirror glass was not the back panel of the mirror. Time to pour some Makers and call it a night and try again tomorrow. lol
Awww man that is rough! I noticed this with the 2004/2008 mirrors. Since paintable/chrome caps weren't out until 2007, there was a separate style mirror fascia cover to mount the caps. Luckily for me I had taken my mirrors apart before painting to see what I could do, and discovered my 2004 was all one piece so I knew mine would be a simple mask and sand job.

On my 2007, I swapped mirror covers with my bud's 2004 truck since he wanted the chrome caps and I wanted 100% paint matched mirrors.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:05 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
That's why I removed my current mirror caps and had them painted off the truck, and then reinstalled

Call me if you need help figuring it out

Old 07-05-2015, 07:40 PM
Darren,
Nice work. I almost opted for the chrome plated handles but the all black theme won out. I did use your videos on the mirror caps to get em done. I thought I had the wrong parts but I was too tired. lol.

Pat, thanks for the offer. I finally got it all done. Very happy with the results. It was late last night when I finished so no sun shots but taking it get a bath tomorrow and will post some clean pics then. The door handles are the most difficult part but all in all, much easier than I anticipated.

I was going to wash it today and get better pics but the opportunity to replace my resonator with the delete pipe came up so I jumped on that. Love the new sound. Anyway, here are the pics. I will post some better ones soon.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:16 AM
Well it appears my PTM job was substandard as some issues have already cropped up.

The mirror caps clear coat looks like it was driven wet. There are lines running through it like spots of paint remover were hit while driving. The clear is uneven in those spots.

My passenger side door handle clear coat has a rough texture to it on top of the handle part that you grab. It looks like it has been sanded. My badges, tailgate handle and mirror turn signal inserts do not appears to be affected. I would say one can of clear coat may be to blame but all the parts got clear from all three cans equally.

I will get some pics soon and post them up. I am stuck in the office at work but wanted to put my thoughts down while they were fresh. Plus, my boss isn’t here to see me on the internet instead of working.

Quick Reply: PTM Project and some extras