2009 - 2014 F-150

Fuel Delevery Issue HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Fuel Delevery Issue HELP

My 2009 Ford F150 Screw lariat with the 5.4 v8 showing 200,000 miles has started giving me trouble lately. Intermittently it will shutdown while driving and then does not start back up. While trying to restart the truck you can not hear the fuel pump in the tank pressure up OR simply make the bzzzzzz sound. But after you let her set for an hour and then go try it you can hear the fuel pump pressure up or bzzzzzz and then start like normal.
I have replaced the Fuel Pump and Fuel Pump Driver Module both with motorcraft replacement parts but this issue has happened again since then. just drove it out to the shop to check wire connections.
What is the next step after that?
inertia switch becoming weak?
Relay? (one time when it wouldn't start I swapped #8 relay the fuel pump relay with I think #9 in the box under the hood which was the trailer brake and light relay. They had both the same diagram, and when swapped it would not start. Let it set in the parking lot over night and it started like normal)
PCM?
Who sells PCM's cheap, local ford dealer wanted 775.00 for pcm, 96 for programing it and 96 to install it.
Any help will be appreciated.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:24 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
Have you checked the fuel filter? I think you have a clogged filter.

- Jack

Old 10-02-2015, 01:34 PM
We checked on the frame rails of the truck and followed fuel line and didn't see one.. a filter that is and assumed it was part of the fuel pump assembly when we installed it. Also I didn't think that would cause the fuel pump do just stop working like it wasn't getting power. It would just cause it to run rough due to low fuel pressure...

Old 10-02-2015, 09:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
JackandJanet - Have you checked the fuel filter? I think you have a clogged filter.
There is no serviceable fuel filter for the gen'12 (2009+) F-150s. If the fuel pump was replaced, the fuel filter issue/possibility was addressed.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:09 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by gDMJoe
There is no serviceable fuel filter for the gen'12 (2009+) F-150s. If the fuel pump was replaced, the fuel filter issue/possibility was addressed.
Thanks, Joe. I must admit I know relatively little about specifics of the later trucks, I was going by "symptoms". And, I admit they didn't totally match a plugged filter, but it was the only thing I could think of that would prevent delivery of fuel with everything else replaced.

Maybe, poor connection in the wiring to the fuel pump? Since the vehicle has over 200K miles, faulty wiring COULD be the cause. Sometimes, these faults show up on a warm vehicle but go away on cold ones.

- Jack

Old 10-11-2015, 11:24 PM
Yes I was hoping someone with extensive knowledge of the trucks wiring and system operations would help out.
The truck is in good shape, wiring has been omed and connections have been checked.
There is and inertia switch that can be faulty along with a pressure switch for the tank that I think could kick out the fuel pump but not real sure. Just wanting to pin point the issue before I replace a 900$ pcm and it quits on me again. I would probably lose control and burn it on the side of the road.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vapor purge valve

A known problem with these is the vapor purge valve. It leaks which draws a vacuum in the tank (enough to collapse the sides sometimes) and won't let it run.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:31 PM
check fuse 27 in the fuse box near the battery for signs of excessive heat (burning). if so replace fuse and follow tsb 15-0137

Quick Reply: Fuel Delevery Issue HELP