2009 - 2014 F-150

Water leaking into cab

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water leaking into cab

Have a 2013 F150 Eco Boost. Back in May there was an odor coming from the fan. After a number of trips to the dealer they finally replaced the evaporator which stopped the problem.

Now water is leaking onto the front passenger floor. I was able to reach under the rug and feel that the water was coming from an area high up under the dash on the left side of the front passenger area. Dealer said that it was coming from the third brake light. ??? It was cracked and the gasket was shot. Twice after the light was replaced and the floor dried, I ran the AC for about one hour. Both times the floor got wet. Rain was not a factor. Dealer says that the AC is draining and has no idea where the water is coming from.

Has anybody else had this problem or have any idea what is causing it?

Old 10-19-2015, 01:58 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RG00924
Have a 2013 F150 Eco Boost. Back in May there was an odor coming from the fan. After a number of trips to the dealer they finally replaced the evaporator which stopped the problem.

Now water is leaking onto the front passenger floor. I was able to reach under the rug and feel that the water was coming from an area high up under the dash on the left side of the front passenger area. Dealer said that it was coming from the third brake light. ??? It was cracked and the gasket was shot. Twice after the light was replaced and the floor dried, I ran the AC for about one hour. Both times the floor got wet. Rain was not a factor. Dealer says that the AC is draining and has no idea where the water is coming from...
Hi RG00924,

Just to clarify, is your truck still at the dealership? How many miles are on it? I'll see what I can do to help dry things out for you.

Crystal

Old 10-19-2015, 05:38 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Water (condensation) leaking from the AC evaporator is a COMMON problem, and on all brands of cars and trucks, not just FORD. It sounds like your technician is blowing smoke up your A and doesn't want to actually fix the problem. KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS and keep taking it back to them. Even if the warranty runs out, they (FORD) should fix it if you have proof that you initially brought it in for the same problem before the warranty expired. Make sure that YOU write on the work order, that the leak is under the RH dash. If it merely says replace 3rd tail light gasket, FORD will try to claim that it's a different problem! If your state has a Lemon Law then check into that. You may have to threaten to invoke it before FORD dealership will actually correct the problem.

And if I were you and if I had paid for the repair, I'd go back and demand my money back since they didn't fix the problem.

And BTW there's a LONG thread on this forum about people with 2013/2014 EcoBoosts having a foul odor coming from the AC system. You should go read it and be prepared.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:10 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
RG00924, I deleted the thread you started on this same topic in the HVAC section. We ask that you not create multiple threads or posts on the same topic since it can lead to confusing responses that waste your time.

My advice to you is to work with Crystal on this problem.

- Jack

Old 10-20-2015, 08:56 AM
Hi Crystal,

You were able to help me out a few months ago with the smell. Hope you can do it again.

Truck is still at the dealer. Worked on it Friday Saturday, and Monday. Supposed to do more water tests today. Still have not found the source. When I used the wetvac it picked up about one pint of water. It is not a small leak. Don't understand why they can't find it.

When I dropped it off Friday I also showed him some mold on the carpet. Hasn't mentioned what they are going to do about it.

Don't remember the mileage, but it is around 30,000.

Thanks again for your help.

Originally Posted by FordService
Hi RG00924,
Just to clarify, is your truck still at the dealership? How many miles are on it? I'll see what I can do to help dry things out for you.

Crystal

Old 10-20-2015, 09:36 AM
Hi Crystal,

You were able to help me out a few months ago with the smell. Hope you can do it again.

Truck is still at the dealer. Worked on it Friday Saturday, and Monday. Supposed to do more water tests today. Still have not found the source. When I used the wetvac it picked up about one pint of water. It is not a small leak. Don't understand why they can't find it.

When I dropped it off Friday I also showed him some mold on the carpet. Hasn't mentioned what they are going to do about it.

Don't remember the mileage, but it is around 30,000.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi RG00924,

Since we've been in touch before, send me a PM with a verification of your best daytime phone number, the dealer you're working with now (if different), and your mileage. I'll loop in your regional customer service manager and have them give you a call.

Crystal

Old 10-29-2015, 04:43 PM
Well the truck was at the dealer for one week and they said they couldn't find where the water was coming from. Dealer said the water, when I ran the AC, was residual from the cracked brake light. Dealer wanted me to take the truck even though they had not found the problem. Went to the dealership and found that the rug was still soaked. Went back in and told the service advisor. He said they would take another look at it and this time they would take the dash apart to check the evaporator. They hadn't done this before despite service bulletins and forum posts that this is the most likely source of the water. Next day dealer said they found that the water was coming from a bad evaporator seal. Part was ordered. Today one week after they found the problem the truck has not been repaired. Dealer is also unwilling to replace the rug. Mold has already started to grow on it. The regional customer service manager was of zero help. Took the dealers word for everything. Wouldn't even comment on what I said. He even closed the case before the repairs were done. Thinking about getting rid of the truck and getting a Chevy.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:57 PM
WFO
Old 10-29-2015, 07:14 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
Sounds like you need to PM Crystal again and ask her to rattle the RSM's cage. Sounds like a pretty crappy dealer and RSM if you ask me.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:53 AM
When I sent pics to the RSM of the brake light lens and asked him if he thought enough water could get through the hole, find its way to the firewall, in a large enough amount that I could vacuum up 1 pint. This is his answer.

"I take what the dealership says at face value.

I would thoroughly test the vehicle before accepting it back.

If you disagree with what one dealer says you can go to another dealer for a second opinion and I can work with your there."

Old 11-16-2015, 02:10 PM
Dealer had the truck for 3 weeks. Looks like they finally fixed it. After having it for a week they finally looked at the evaporator. The seal was leaking allowing water to drain into the cab. I showed them the mold in the rug when I dropped it off. Started getting the run around when I said it had to be replaced. Service Advisor said it wasn't that bad and that he would have the reconditioning department clean it. If they couldn't clean it then they would replace it. Finally called the owner. Wasn't happy with how the repairs had gone. He said he would look into it. Two hours later he called back to say the rug and pad were ordered.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:13 PM
Dealer had the truck for 3 weeks. Looks like they finally fixed it. After having it for a week they finally looked at the evaporator. The seal was leaking allowing water to drain into the cab. I showed them the mold in the rug when I dropped it off. Started getting the run around when I said it had to be replaced. Service Advisor said it wasn't that bad and that he would have the reconditioning department clean it. If they couldn't clean it then they would replace it. Finally called the owner. Wasn't happy with how the repairs had gone. He said he would look into it. Two hours later he called back to say the rug and pad were ordered.
Great news, RG00924; I'm glad that everything worked out. Thanks for coming back and sharing your outcome.

Crystal

Quick Reply: Water leaking into cab