2009 - 2014 F-150

Mysterious frog sound?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mysterious frog sound?

Hi Everyone,

I have just recently purchased a 2013 f-150 Lariat with the Ecoboost v-6. It have approx. 58 000 kms. Out of the blue I've noticed a humming sound, almost as if something is vibrating near the driver side wheel (I think). Its quite quiet at first but becomes more pronounced as you drive. I noticed it going slow and turning to the right..as I continued to drive it became louder but alway seems to go away once the steering wheel is turned. It always appears when I stop or about to stop (going very slowly)
I've taken it to a local shop where they had a hard time pinpointing the sound, They described it as a "frog" sound, possibly a wheel bearing.....Any thought would greatly be appreciated. I'm 90 miles from the nearest Ford dealership. Any thoughts would be appreciated before I make the trek. Thanks!

Old 11-03-2015, 10:00 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
If you are still on warranty, make the trek.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the truck a 4x4? Sounds like it could be the 4wd actuator. It might be stuck or malfunctioning, causing the CV shaft to remain engaged while driving. Jack the front end up, start the truck (leave it in 2wd), and spin the tire. If the CV shaft rotates with the tire, your hub is engaged when it isn't supposed to be, and you have a bad actuator.

If your truck is 2wd, disregard all that and hope someone else chimes in.

Quick Reply: Mysterious frog sound?