2009 - 2014 F-150

E-fans wide open - 2012 ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-fans wide open - 2012 ecoboost

I have a 2012 FX4 crewcab, ecoboost, 65K miles. My e-fans are wide open all the time, even on a cold start in the AM. No idiot lights, all systems appear to be normal, just the fans running WFO all the time. operating temps all check fine, trans temps fine. Tried to pull any codes and found none, no ecm codes, no bcm codes. I am on a very busy rotation at work so I have not had time to dig into it. Any ideas as to where to start???

Thanks.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check the A/C charge. If it's off it can cause them to run too much. A few people have had the control module replaced because of this. However, the fan settings on all F150s are pretty aggressive. They run a lot and make a racket.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:04 PM
I had the same problem with my new to me 2011 5.0 back in March, ever since I bought the truck every time it was running the fan would run on high and the truck would sound like a damn 747. I had it in to the dealer it turned out that one of the pins in a connection coming off of the A/C compressor was bent? I still have the work order ill take a look at it and report what the actual problem was. I feel your pain its annoying when it feels like you need to wear hearing protection anytime your beside your idling truck.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:46 AM
update - did a troubleshooting with a pal with a real live scanner. found a code, but the diagnosis is "start by changing a relay" type of thing. ordered relay and will change it and see what happens next. Something is commanding the fans to run WFO, because if you pull the fan relay you can hear it clicking open and closed.

Quick Reply: E-fans wide open - 2012 ecoboost