2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 5.4 Bouncy Idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2010 5.4 Bouncy Idle

Hey all, went to sign up but found out I was already a member. I guess I never got on here much..musta been because I drove a Ford.. Finally traded my 97 F150. 244k miles and the drivetrain was still strong, but the body wasn't. Got a 2010 F150 XLT 5.4 4x4 and it doesn't idle smooth. To describe it would be bouncy or have a consistent surge. When braking and almost stopped or just taking off, it 'rocks'. It gets better and worse and most times you can't feel it at a dead stop, only when you creep forward. Mechanic buddy says plugs will take care of it (131k) and I have been reading about MAF's, IAC's, battery reset procedures, etc etc. I have been searching for my problem on forums and the like for the past few days but I can't find my problem described as I am experiencing it. Any wisdom is appreciated.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:10 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
131K? I'd change the plugs and put new boot and spring kits on the coils to start with. Throw a couple bottles of Techron in the gas.

You don't have a IAC, you have an electronic throttle. It may need cleaning. Wouldn't hurt to clean the MAF.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:13 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
New plugs, and clean the Throttle body and you should be good to go

Old 01-30-2016, 06:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sooo..I took it back to the dealer and showed the guys the issue. 3 different guys said they have never experienced an issue like that before. One guy said it might be a coil pack that got wet when they detailed the engine. Said he would make an appointment at the garage and they would cover whatever it was. Took it to the garage Thursday morning. Late afternoon I got a call from the garage asking if I deleted the codes it was throwing. I told them I didn't delete anything, I just bought the truck. He says they are having trouble diagnosing it because there are no codes so he has to keep it to diagnose it more Friday. Went down there at lunch on Friday and the guy said they are driving it trying to get it to throw a code. EOB Friday and still no diagnosis, I am sure because 'no code' but 'they have experienced the issue'. They still have it, of course. Mechanic is supposed to call this morning and I am going to ask what HAS been done besides just driving it around trying to get it to throw a code. Mechanic buddy swears plugs, fuel filter and cleaning throttle body will take care of it. Seems like the Ford mechanics won't do anything without a code. If I get it today I just might take it to my guy and see what happens.
Yes, this is a bit of a rant. Seems like these guys have no clue without a 'code'.

Quick Reply: 2010 5.4 Bouncy Idle