2009 - 2014 F-150

Help! Front end rattle after installing Bilstein adjustable strut.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Front end rattle after installing Bilstein adjustable strut.

I recently had a shop install the Bilstein ride height adjustable front struts on my 2013 FX4 Supercrew. They set the struts at the top setting (2.25 inch lift or level). Now when I go over small bumps in the road I get a rattle from the suspension on the front driver side. Also, if I drop the tire off at a decent speed into a pothole it sounds like the suspension completely tops out. Does anyone have any experience with this? Would lowering the setting help? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 2000F1507700; 01-18-2016 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What you're describing sounds exactly like what happened to me. After my Bilsteins were installed, if I would drive over railroad tracks or hit a bump in the road, the front end would make a wobbly sound, almost like something was loose in the suspension. Turns out that's exactly what it was. The nut at the top mounting post for the front right Bilstein strut was not tightened all the way, which left a gap between the rubber grommet and the mounting post. I took it back to the shop and they tightened it the rest of the way, resolving the issue completely. Take it back and have them make sure everything is properly tightened.

Quick Reply: Help! Front end rattle after installing Bilstein adjustable strut.