2009 - 2014 F-150

issue with gas tank and or guage

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
issue with gas tank and or guage

I have a 2011 F-150 XLT..off road 5.0..4x4.. the gas tank is said to be 36 gallons...

I think I have actually put 33 gallons in once!!

lately...the onscreen message says that I am running low on gas and that I may have 27 miles to empty!...

so I go to the gas station and the tank wont take more than 25 or 26 gallons!!!!!!!

my MPG is averaging 13.5 ( thanks to the last tune up work FORD did to my truck...was 15.7 for years)

this has happened a lot lately in the last year...

what is going on???

as a side , also dealing with the tank, SOMETIMES when I am very low on gas and go to refuel, when the gas pump nozzle pushed the spring loaded fuel tank opening...a massive gush of air happens... like the tank was on VACCUM ..... although it didn't happen last night when I got gas. but what could that be ... a clogged vent ???????

any suggestions as to which way to trouble shoot this thing..

I am still under extended FORD warranty.......but I fi go and it isn't a warranty issue...( ie they say they cant find anything) Ill have to pay

bob

Old 01-28-2016, 08:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you get a woosh of air when inserting the gas nozzle that means the tank is not venting properly. As the fuel level goes down there is a vacuum being created because the vent is not allowing air to fill the space.

And I could never understand why people let their gas tanks get so low. I guess because I live in such a remote area my tank gets filled whenever it gets anywhere near the 1/2 way mark.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:20 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob J
I have a 2011 F-150 XLT..off road 5.0..4x4.. the gas tank is said to be 36 gallons...

I think I have actually put 33 gallons in once!!

lately...the onscreen message says that I am running low on gas and that I may have 27 miles to empty!...

so I go to the gas station and the tank wont take more than 25 or 26 gallons!!!!!!!...
Hi Bob,

I'd bring this to the attention of your Ford Dealership so they can diagnose. What's the current mileage on your truck?

Crystal

Old 01-28-2016, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi Bob,

I'd bring this to the attention of your Ford Dealership so they can diagnose. What's the current mileage on your truck?

Crystal
88,000 about....

Id go to the dealer when I know its time, I hesitate to just take it to them right off with out getting more feedback from other truck owners, because I have to go get a rental car and arrainge for them to meet me at the dealership...and then the same when the work is done...

the two dealers I have used have been less than stellar.....one replaced a "bad" coil and my gas mileage dropped 2 mpg!!... the other told my ticking noise was a stuck injector and not part of the valve train( BS) and thus the inspection wasn't covered...they didn't replace the injector... it is so easy to hear that it is a specific part of the valvetrain and it has been there since 30,000 miles and I still hear the tapping!!

soooo Id like to try and pin down my issues BEFORE I let ford go exploring my truck!!!

bob

Old 01-28-2016, 04:24 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob J
88,000 about....

Id go to the dealer when I know its time, I hesitate to just take it to them right off with out getting more feedback from other truck owners, because I have to go get a rental car and arrainge for them to meet me at the dealership...and then the same when the work is done...

the two dealers I have used have been less than stellar.....one replaced a "bad" coil and my gas mileage dropped 2 mpg!!... the other told my ticking noise was a stuck injector and not part of the valve train( BS) and thus the inspection wasn't covered...they didn't replace the injector... it is so easy to hear that it is a specific part of the valvetrain and it has been there since 30,000 miles and I still hear the tapping!!

soooo Id like to try and pin down my issues BEFORE I let ford go exploring my truck!!!

bob
I understand completely, Bob. Let me know if/when you decide to visit the dealer; I'll be able to research options to assist once they've diagnosed.

Crystal

Old 01-30-2016, 04:32 PM
I have a 2010 F150 same issue. 36 gallon tank and it would read empty pretty quick. It would only take around 22-24 gallon after getting the "0 miles" indication. Ford ended up sucking out 10 additional gallons and determined it was a bad sending unit. They quoted me $500+ for parts and labor. I had suspected it was a bad gauge but they said they found nothing reading incorrectly. I have not fixed this issue yet since I rather do the work myself and save some cash.

Quick Reply: issue with gas tank and or guage