2009 - 2014 F-150

5.4 Timing Chain Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 Timing Chain Question

So about a week ago I pulled up to a stop sign after I had been driving slowly around the neighborhood, and my pickup started shaking and the engine started spitting and sputtering and would barely keep idling. After doing some research and talking to ford service techs, I figured it was either the cam phasers or VCT solenoids, or the entire timing aspect of the engine. I chose to start with replacing the VCT solenoids. I pulled the valve covers, replaced the solenoids, along with the cam positioning sensors because DTCs P0346 and P0341 both showed up when the engine began sputtering. As I was looking things over with the valve cover off I noticed the timing chain on the R (US passenger) side of the engine had alot more slack in it than the other side. I know the timing chain tensioners need oil pressure to keep tension, but it makes me worry when the entire top side of the chain isn't even touching the top guide. Just curious what everyone else has found, as I know there are quite a few of you out there who have dealt with timing/phaser issues with these engines. I have it all buttoned back up and it is running smooth with no DTCs, but there is still a ticking noise just not as loud as before. Any and all help is appreciated!

On a side note, I also noticed some of the camshaft lobes had some scoring in them, very minor, but something worth asking about if anyone has any advice on that.

It would probably help to tell you about my pickup, it is a 2010 F150 5.4 triton, 4x4.

Quick Reply: 5.4 Timing Chain Question