2009 - 2014 F-150

AAL and Fox 2.0's

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 01:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AAL and Fox 2.0's

My Pro-Comp ALL kit showed up on Friday and I had fox 2.0's show up too. I had a couple of hours in the afternoon and figured I should get them knocked out.

I still have to get a pic of the truck showing the rake, but I was able to do some measuring. The rear is a full 2.5" higher than the rear and it was dead-even before. So I think pulling the blocks is the right thing to do as the rear should still be 1.25" higher than the rear after I pull them. It's easy enough to do and reverse if needed.

Here are some pics of the install. Completely forgot to take a pic before I put the tires back on. All in all, a bit of cursing but straight forward install.

Took it for a bit of a ride today. The ride is certainly stiffer, but in a good way. It really highlights that the fronts need to be done too. I may have to put the fronts on before I think about tires.

The Sway bar couldn't be dropped enough IMO, so I will see how it sits after I pull the blocks and go from there.

The goods
Name:  IMG_0860_zpszhqkfwd3.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  210.4 KB

Ready for disassembly
Name:  IMG_0861_zpstsj6olhq.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  166.9 KB

Shocks in
Name:  IMG_0862_zpsla5jrely.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  158.6 KB

AAL installed
Name:  IMG_0863_zpsemnd4t7l.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  204.8 KB

Old 11-06-2016, 01:21 AM

So feels stiffer, but you like it? It's going to be stiffer with that AAL since it changes your spring layout, I had one on my 01, no complaints, lifts and helps when you load the bed down. I recently found out my rear shocks are leaking, I think they are a monotube bds shock that came with my 6in bds lift. I was contemplating getting the bds/fox 2.0 shocks, supposedly they are specifically dialed in and made to go with the bds 6in for the f150. They are just $50 more each than the skyjacker m95 monotube shocks I think I'll get. I've heard good to average reviews on the fox 2.0s, with many saying your paying for the name where some bilsteins will be just as good and cheaper. I'm still on the fence. What are those black fox boots? Hard to tell from the picture.

Last edited by ruffn-it; 11-06-2016 at 01:25 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:18 AM
Yeah hard to explain, it's a firmer ride but I prefer it as it isn't "Floaty" anymore. Feel more composed over wallowing bumps on the highway. Slightly more jarring over speed bumps, but overall, I happy with the change. I'm going to try and get the blocks pulled today or an evening this week before I aim the heads/fogs. Hopefully I can dial in the rake to something I'll be happy with. I will have to do the fronts for sure now, just have to save up the dough.

I would recommend the fox rears, they are a nice improvement and really not much more than the Bilsteins. I've run 5100's on previous trucks and was happy with them. Comparing them to the Fox 2.0's on my cousins truck (same as mine without the AAL), I would say the Fox's are a slightly better ride. They also handle the sharp hits better.

The black boots are the "roost guards" a must IMO. The protect the shaft from road debris that can pit the shafts and cause a seal failure. You can also run the shocks body down, but I like being able to see the body of the shocks through the wheel well.

*Edit
Apparently it's a "Roost Shield". Here is a better pic of hte shock with one.

Name:  80302052_FOX_zpslukcxyzr.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  32.8 KB

Last edited by Blown F-150; 11-06-2016 at 10:35 AM. Reason: found a better pic
Old 11-07-2016, 04:50 AM

O, a shield instead of boots. I guess that works, seems expensive at another $30-$40 for the set though.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:26 PM
The shocks should come with them, it's a bit of a rip-off. Being used to how Fox works (I have their stuff on everything from my Mountain Bike to my Sled, quad and Dirt bike), it's the name of the game.

I'm sure once they paid for the bold, the shields cost them all of $0.15 to make.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:11 PM
Can you install the shields without removing the strut? I didn't order them with mine and now that I see them mounted they actually do look functional.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by mossbum
Can you install the shields without removing the strut? I didn't order them with mine and now that I see them mounted they actually do look functional.
I think you would have to pull the bottom bolt and swing the shock out. The issue is you can't get at the retaining screws for the shield with it bolted in place.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:39 PM
Just to follow up a year later, I made a big mistake not getting the roost shields. Blew a shock and when I replaced them, the shaft and lower shock mount were absolutely chewed up from gravel. New set has the shields installed and the old ones are headed back to fox to be rebuilt.

Last edited by mossbum; 11-06-2017 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Spelling