2009 - 2014 F-150

6 Speed downshift for passing

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 06:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6 Speed downshift for passing

Think from reading this is possibly normal, don't like it but maybe normal. Only catch is most of what I searched has to do with downshifting on hills.

Went from an 07 Lariat 5.4 to a 2010 Lariat 5.4 and this one has the 6 speed in it. Normal driving etc I can live with it but at 50mph if I nail the truck to pass it literally goes shift-shift-shift.. I'd expect it to drop right to a passing gear but it actually shifts through a couple of gears one at a time. I believe the 5th and 6th are overdrives so maybe it has to go through them first?

Is this normal for pedal to floor passing? In this situation I liked the old 4 speed much better, just dropped to passing gear and took off.

Old 10-27-2019, 07:05 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
No such thing as "passing gear" - the transmission downshifts one or more gears. What is happening may or may not be normal, but I would *think* the computer should command a downshift to an appropriate gear without doing it one at a time. You may want to check with a dealer to see if there's a software update available.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:08 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
I've noticed I have better passing performance in my 2014 3.5 EB, if I just smoothly advance the throttle, rather than a sudden "stomp" on it. The truck has plenty of passing power without an immediate downshift, and then if it does, it's a rather fast one-step one.

If I stomp it, there's a hesitation while it makes up its mind which gear to use.

- Jack

Old 10-27-2019, 10:19 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
My 2014 gets "confused" at 50 mph so yeah, it's normal. My 6 speed will shift up out of first trying to pull a hill from a stop with the engine lugging flat on the floor, then goes to false neutral, then the engine spools up, then slams into gear.....and Ford says it's normal. It will bump you in the but at every stop when it's cold and despite the tricky Ford lube for the yolk....Ford says it's normal. I've gotten accustomed to it but frankly, I consider it dangerous. You don't pull out in front of traffic and expect to scoot right along cause it might already be in 6th gear at 20 mph.....but it's normal. The transmission is the only complaint I have with mine. So it ain't all bad.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can live with it, I miss the instant decisive downshift of older trannys though. More of a 'if it's normal no big deal'.. Would just hate to have the trans blow out 6 months from now and then find out this was a warning sign Rest of it is easily the quietest nicest riding highway truck I've owned and to pull 2 900lbs SeaDoos and still get 18/19 mpg is excellent.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
If I'm driving 20 mph, leave my truck in 5th, stomp on the gas, my truck just laughs at me.

My truck tells me that if I want to go faster, I need to get it out of 1k rpms using my left foot, my right arm and shifting.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg Moore
I can live with it, I miss the instant decisive downshift of older trannys though. More of a 'if it's normal no big deal'.. Would just hate to have the trans blow out 6 months from now and then find out this was a warning sign Rest of it is easily the quietest nicest riding highway truck I've owned and to pull 2 900lbs SeaDoos and still get 18/19 mpg is excellent.
Mine doesn't get that without the trailer behind it, but it will get a squawk out of the tires if I romp on it at 50.

Originally Posted by ManualF150
If I'm driving 20 mph, leave my truck in 5th, stomp on the gas, my truck just laughs at me.

My truck tells me that if I want to go faster, I need to get it out of 1k rpms using my left foot, my right arm and shifting.
My Mustang tells me the same thing, has the little skateboard shoe light up on the dash.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Siberexpress
Mine doesn't get that without the trailer behind it, but it will get a squawk out of the tires if I romp on it at 50.

My Mustang tells me the same thing, has the little skateboard shoe light up on the dash.
I wish mine had that feature... I'd purposely make it light up.

It's fun to mash the pedal and not go anywhere. lol

Quick Reply: 6 Speed downshift for passing