2009 - 2014 F-150

Multi problem- power steering and crank but no start

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multi problem- power steering and crank but no start

2013 F150 STX
1st Problem started couple weeks ago.Only happening on 30° or below days. Would start vehicle but power steering would not work and and advanced track warning sign came up. Once car ran for a bit and warmed up, would turn key off and restart vehicle then power steering wheel would work fine. Again this would only happen on cold days.
2nd Problem- tried starting car this morning and won’t start. Cranks and sounds like it wants to but won’t start. It is very cold out today. Don’t think it’s getting fuel. Could these two problems be connected?
Thanks
Mike

Last edited by MikeD75; 01-21-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well you didn't say which motor you have so I am going to tell you to check fuse 27 in the underhood fuse panel and also check relay #8 fuel pump relay.
I also doubt if the problems are related.

Old 01-21-2020, 02:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Lightbulb

MikeD75 ...
HINT/TIP: Put your -complete- vehicle information (year, model, cab, trim, engine, wheelbase, _x4 drive, mileage, modifications, etc., etc.) in your signature -OR- provide it in your posting(s).

Old 01-22-2020, 10:56 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Mike, your 2013 has what is called EPAS which stands for Electric Power Assist Steering. When it first came out it was a major fail. There have been many issues with it. You probably need to take the truck to the closest Ford dealership and have them look at it. The first units sold were part of a recall where Ford replaced the entire unit. Later, Ford found out the bolts and mounts were failing which caused another problem- popping in the front end and vague steering. Sometimes the failure of the unit will cause other systems to show as failed. Hopefully Ford will step up and fix the truck but don't have major expectations. Unfortunately replacement out of your pocket is just under 2 grand. Personally, while I've had zero issues with the 2014 I have, I absolutely hate it. The steering is completely dead with zero feedback. Best of luck with it.

Quick Reply: Multi problem- power steering and crank but no start