X-cal2 question.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X-cal2 question.....

Made a quick call to Troyer today to ask a couple questions about the x-cal 2........Well, was supposed to be quick, actually turned into a 25 minute call with anita awncering EVERY queation I ever had then some.
The only thing she wasnt really sure on was the shift lag issue. Upon heavy acceliaration (over 50 or so) when the tranny goes to drop from 4-3 I have a "bog down delay" of a second or a second and a half before it will drop and go in 3rd. Queation is....Will the xcal2 correct this among all the other things it does?
Have had it in to the dealer and they say can not duplictae but is most likely caused by my aftermarket intake and exhaust....So what is it guys? Anything to blow off having to fix something. I think theres actually a tsb out now reguarding this but they say they dont have it. Id just as soon not go back if the xcal2 will correct it.
Let me know, and thanks again TP I will be ordering soon.
Gordon

Last edited by toddyman88; 09-26-2006 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Personally speaking here... as a Troyer-tuned truck, I don't notice the 4-3 lag. It's not a sportscar that yanks your neck on the downshift (remember, it's a truck) but, by the same token, it's not 'laggy' in my opinion either.

I've been running my tunes so long now that I forget what the stock feel was -- not sure I want to go back and remember either. LOL!

You'll be pleased... I really really think you'll be pleased.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:13 PM
The Troyer tune for the XCalII will adjust the shift characteristics of the transmission. When you order make sure you highlight this issue and I bet Mike will call you to discuss it before he finishes your tune.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:57 PM
Was hoping that would be the case. Ford dealer called 3 times today while I was out to see how my service was....cant wait for em to call back. Really cant wait to get the x cal.........So many satisfied people using them.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Gordon,

Actually, what you are describing is NOT a 4-3 issue - it's a 4-2 issue. Any time you are cruising at approximately from about 40-75 or so mph and punch the throttle, it is not downshifting into 3rd, it is going all the way back down into 2nd gear - and this is *very* hard on any 4-speed automatic overdrive transmission. What you are experiencing is a lot of torque management and some other things. Now there other things we do address to improve this, but other things we will NOT do, because they shorten the tranny';s service life - I will not go into detail, as that only teaches our competition.

We provide specific instructions on this very issue with every one of our custom tunes we send out, so between that and the changes we make, yes, this will be improved.

Now the SMART thing to do is simply get in the habit of not doing full-throttle downshifts into or out of Overdrive, as that hurts the transmission over the long haul - in a situation like that, the smart thing to do is to simply tap the O/D cancel button, which will immediately engage 3rd gear, and then you can nail the throttle - that will then cause a 3-2 downshift, and with out tuning you will then have full power and the the truck will rocket away much quicker *and* your transmission will be much happier.

See, you have to really know the hardware design and limitations to know what can and cannot be safely done, and how to safely improve issues like the one you describe - so yes, this is something that we address as well - there won't be the normal delayed powertrain response with our tuning that you see with the stock tuning, either from the engine or the transmission.

So yes, we'll be happy to help you get better performance from your truck, no problem!

Old 10-04-2006, 03:13 AM
I must be destroying my truck. I cruise at 85 and anytime I slow down is because of traffic then I hammer the throttle to get back to 80 or 85. Good thing is my truck will stay in 2nd (that has to be the gear) until 80 then I have the long 3rd gear pull. Keeping the OD on, the RPMs stay down and improves my mpg.
Thanks for the info about taking it out of overdrive I don't want to kill my transmission. But then again having to keep shifting in and out of OD will get to be a pain in ****.

Old 10-04-2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks Mike....

Never realized that I was hurting the tranny. Truck does this everytime I have to slow down beacuse of someone turning off infront of me and so on. Guess ill keep the od off untill i order the x-cal. Attached is the tsb I thought was the issue with my truck. Thats why I thought it was 4-3 but it makes sense now beacuse it dosnt do it with the od off so that would start me out in 3rd. Check it out see what you think. Thanks again, Gordon

Service Calibration Update - Hesitation On Acceleration On Downshift - 5.4l 3v
TSB
06-19-3 SERVICE CALIBRATION UPDATE - HESITATION ON ACCELERATION ON DOWNSHIFT - 5.4L 3V

Publication Date: September 11, 2006

FORD: 2006 F-150
LINCOLN: 2006 Mark LT

ISSUE:
Some 2006 F-150 and Mark LT vehicles with 5.4L 3V engines may exhibit a hesitation during a driver commanded 4-3 transmission downshift.

ACTION:
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release B44.12 or higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2006.7 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

Old 10-06-2006, 03:35 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi guys,

First, for toddyman - I wouldn't *automatically* dismiss that Ford TSB, I really just wanted to describe a certain type of driving scenario, as if that matches what you are doing, then what you wold be doing would be a 4-2 downshift, instead of a 4-3 - so you'll want to keep that in mind.

In other words, what I was talking about is a scenario in which you are cruising at a steady speed and relatively light throttle, somewhere in approximately the 40-75 mph or so range. Now cruising at steady throttle at those speeds, you would be in Overdrive - and if you nail the throttle in between those speeds, you aren't going to just downshift back down into 3rd, but you would go all the way back down into 2nd gear - keep in mind now that I'm talking about when you nail the throttle.

Now, if you were cruising at those same speeds, but gave it less throttle, then sure, it may very well only need to downshift back into 3rd gear instead of going all the way back down into 2nd - and thus that TSB could potentially apply.

So try to think of this in terms of how hard you are getting on the throttle when cruising somewhere in between those approximate speeds - if you nail the throttle to take off hard, then it will cause a 4-2 downshift - but if you give it lighter throttle, it will only go back down into 3rd gear.

I hope I managed to make that a little bit clearer, I just didn't want you to think that this *couldn't* potentially have something to do with that TSB - again, what I'm talking about is when you *nail* the throttle at those speeds, that causes a 4-2 downshift - otherwise you may indeed just go back down into 3rd gear, and thus that TSB might apply, OK?

Now for "Scandall" - I don't know about "destroying" it, but if you do heavy-throttle 4-2 downshifts (and most of us do at least sometimes, of course!), that generally is hard on just about any 4-speed automatic overdrive transmission - which is why we suggest trying to get into the habit of tapping the OD cancel button first to get it in 3rd, and *then* nailing the throttle to do a 3-2, just to get maximum service life from the transmission. Admittedly, that takes some getting used to - and some people will never do it - and even me, in my Lightning, there are still times when I will nail it and do a 4-2 downshift even though I know better, especially at the power levels my Lightning is at.

Remember that this varies, too - a lot of trannies might take that kind of treatment for a long time - and some don't. It's just one of those things where we know that over the long haul, it's not really good for the tranny, that's all - I don't mean to try to put a scare into anyone - we're just trying to get the point across that if you can, it's better to do a 4-3 and then a 3-2, as opposed to doing a 4-2. What we do everyday is modify these vehicles for more performance, so we share info we think people need to know from a performance standpoint when we have the time, that's all. Most people are still going to drive like they are used to driving, and we're not trying to change anyone's life - just share a bit of info, that's all.

Old 10-06-2006, 10:34 PM
And very nice of you it is to share this information. (MIKE) Much clearer now. Im not stomping the gas so maybe the tsb will help me (if my dealer ever admits that it exists) What I was trying to decipher was if the xcal 2 will correct what this tsb is refering to....the 4-3 issue. If it will then Ill never go into the dealer for it but if not then I need to look around somewhere else as this hessitation REALLY drives me nuts! Thanks for the reply! Gordon

Old 10-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Gordon,

Assuming this is not a mechanical problem but instead, is something Ford is addressing by that calibration update in that TSB, then yes, we can easily quicken up the powertrain's response on that downshift, and on all the shifts, for that matter.

There are a number of various delays & retards that slow down the powertrain's response in this regard, and our tuning changes do indeed help that quite a bit.

What I would suggest is to call us so we can go over this, as based on your description, I think we can help you but I'd just like to discuss this to make sure I have a clear understanding of what you are experiencing - so please feel free to call us at our number below and ask for me - just tell my staff I asked you to call me specifically about this, and that this is about the 4-3 downshift issue on the Lincoln mark LT & the Ford TSB that we discussed here, and they'll put you thru to me so we can discuss this properly, OK?

Old 10-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Talking Tech Info

This is the kind of technical interchange I look for.
KEEP IT UP !

Old 10-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by toddyman88
then some.
I have a "bog down delay" of a second or a second and a half before it will drop and go in 3rd.

I am having the same problem with my 06. This gets very annoying!! It is most noticable when driving 40-45 and trying to "lightly" accelerate.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Thats it Delta! Thought I was the only one with this issue. Have you checked with the ford dealer in your area to see if they know about the tsb?

MIKE: I will contact you to discuss this. Im in the final stages of my fundrasing effort and want cash in hand when we discuss so I can order that day.(Will be by months end I can assure you !) Thanks for actually giving a crap.
Gordon

Old 10-11-2006, 09:41 AM
I mentioned it to my dealer months ago, but thought it was associated with throttle lag. I drove around yesterday with the overdrive disengaged, no lag whatsoever.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Mine does not do it with the od off either. Still think.......well not really sure what to think except that im calling MT tommorow to discuss and ORDER finally! I will keep you posted as to any improvments with this issue upon recpt of my X Cal 2. Also, asked the dealer again today about the update, they still have nothing. Gordon

Quick Reply: X-cal2 question.....