Edge CS wont read vin :help:

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Edge CS wont read vin :help:

My friend just bought a Edge CS. It will not read his vin on his 2000 Expy 4.6 but it will read mine on my 02 150. We tried updating it and it says theres no updates and it says on edges website it works on his year expy.
Anyone have any ideas to help?

Old 07-06-2010, 08:26 PM
This may sound dumb, but does it power up in your friend's Expy? If not, then check the cig lighter fuse.

If the fuse is good, check the port for loose pins/connection. Might even try lightly wiggling it (BUT NOT DURING PROGRAMMING).

Also make sure the battery is rock solid. Putting a battery tender or low amp charger would help eliminate the battery as a culprit.

If the fuse is good, port looks good, and the battery is good, and there a specific error message, I would photograph the message and send it to Edge tech support.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can he manualy put the vin in. Most likly it is the 8th digit that isn't registering. I had the same issue my digit is a 6 and I put a W in and it works (the enginers at Edge said this is ok.)

Old 07-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by maddoughboy
Can he manualy put the vin in. Most likly it is the 8th digit that isn't registering. I had the same issue my digit is a 6 and I put a W in and it works (the enginers at Edge said this is ok.)
How do you manually put the vin in?

We plugged it in and it says reading vin. Then says turn key on and press any button to continue. Then says reading vin once again an then cannot read vin, then edge has encountered an error please unplug and try again and its the same result every time but it works no problem on my 02 f150.

The only problem we can figure is he had a cortex on it before an it didnt completely remove it from the pcm an thats why it wont read the vin.
Can this be the problem to the issue?

Old 07-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by sean_somer
How do you manually put the vin in?

We plugged it in and it says reading vin. Then says turn key on and press any button to continue. Then says reading vin once again an then cannot read vin, then edge has encountered an error please unplug and try again and its the same result every time but it works no problem on my 02 f150.

The only problem we can figure is he had a cortex on it before an it didnt completely remove it from the pcm an thats why it wont read the vin.
Can this be the problem to the issue?
If the vehicle did not have the previous programmer's tune removed and put back to stock programming then that is what's causing the grief.

Contact edge.
Or.
Have the vehicle reflashed at the dealer.
Or.
Try to use the old programmer to set back to stock if its available.
JMHO

Old 07-06-2010, 11:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
totally off subject but i love your front bumper

Old 07-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
totally off subject but i love your front bumper
Thanks alot man. Its my pride and joy

And thanks to everyone else. Gunna take it to the dealer to reflash it tomorrow.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=sean_somer;4269802]How do you manually put the vin in?

We plugged it in and it says reading vin. Then says turn key on and press any button to continue. Then says reading vin once again an then cannot read vin, then edge has encountered an error please unplug and try again and its the same result every time but it works no problem on my 02 f150.[QUOTE]

Well mine after saying that it couldn't read the vin just came up and asked me to do it so I don't know.

Quick Reply: Edge CS wont read vin :help: