Xcal 3 vs. Bully Dog

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xcal 3 vs. Bully Dog

I currently have an XCal 3 tuned by VMP Tuning in my 07 4.6' supercrew and it has increased the performance a bit but I still find myself wanting more. I saw a new gas tuner by Bully Dog on the Powerblock TV this weekend that looked really cool. Does anyone have any experience with the Bully Dog tuner? Is it better than the XCal 3?

Old 08-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
So let me get this straight.
You want or think that there is something better out there besides custom tunes?

You already have the best.

Going back to a bully dog would be putting your truck in the pound.

JMHO

Old 08-10-2010, 11:19 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
^^^ Good opinion. I'm just shaking my head.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aggieben04
I currently have an XCal 3 tuned by VMP Tuning in my 07 4.6' supercrew and it has increased the performance a bit but I still find myself wanting more. I saw a new gas tuner by Bully Dog on the Powerblock TV this weekend that looked really cool. Does anyone have any experience with the Bully Dog tuner? Is it better than the XCal 3?
DON'T DRINK THE KOOLAID...

Remember where PowerBlock gets it's money from...

If you're looking for more features/coolness, get an SCT Livewire or Edge CTS.

Are you running the 91+ performance tune?

Old 08-11-2010, 07:45 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by aggieben04
It's a 4.6. Hence, while yer custom tuning will allow you to appreach the peak HP numbers of a stock 5.4, it will NOT help as much with low-end torque, nor the shape of the powerband (all that much). Which is what you are always going to lack unless you mod it significantly.

If the results from a VMP custom perf tune running premium fuel on 93+ octane is not enough, you have some decisions to make. And nnother programmer ain't one of them.

If another tune produces significantly better results, then it is almost certainly unsafe. You do not want 'unsafe'.

Good luck.

MGD

Old 09-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Former Sponsor
you guys say our tunes aren't custom as if we just take wild guesses when making our tunes.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:45 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BullyDogJason
you guys say our tunes aren't custom as if we just take wild guesses when making our tunes.
Fair enough. so, for F150 (GAS) tuning:

- Do you provide full 7-digit strategy matched tunes?

- Do you provide specific MAF TF's for various aftermarket CAI's?

- Do you R&D your tuning on more than just 1 or 2 trucks to account for the disparity in the hundreds of different strategies across the F150 Model years ( pre-existing lean conditions, not responding to commanded target A/F's, Open Loop issues, etc, etc).

- Do you provide a facility for comprehensive end-user datalogging, capture and data review to facilitate yer 'custom' tuning corrections?

- Do your devices support a wideband input? If so, which ones? Can you log that as well?

- Do you offer optimized, specific towing, performance and econo tuning for any octane level the customer chooses to use?

- Can your devices safely and accurately accommodate internal and bolt-on mods, including boost? What if I added a Roushcharger and did not wish to run their out-of-the-box calibrations?

- Convince me. I'm more than willing to be enlightenend. If you feel yer getting a bad rap/rep here, I'd be the first to offer up an apology.

Thanks.
MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 09-02-2010 at 06:51 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 09-02-2010, 09:36 AM

No,
What I was trying to convey was that your tunes encompass a great number of pcm strategies like edge and the rest of the "canned" programmers.

A custom tune narrows the altered programming strategy down to the users trucks hex calibration.
It's More specific.

I think we all realize that canned programmers do have custom touch features but they are for basically a stock truck with some add ons like tires and gears.
And there are some now that encompass CAIs into their options.

I'm not here to bash any sponsers products, I'm just trying to show the positive perks of these programmers.

MGDfan brought up some good points in his post.
If you can answer them it would help enlighten all of us.

Last edited by 88racing; 09-02-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:35 PM
Former Sponsor
You are right.. those tuners are CUSTOM. im not denying that at all.

The only point i try to get across is that not everybody needs or wants that level of custom tuning. And that saying we dont tune trucks is far fetched.

*edit* I cant answer those questions, the engineering/tuning side of things is not my department. sorry

Old 09-02-2010, 11:59 PM

You are right.. those tuners are CUSTOM. im not denying that at all.

The only point i try to get across is that not everybody needs or wants that level of custom tuning. And that saying we dont tune trucks is far fetched.

*edit* I cant answer those questions, the engineering/tuning side of things is not my department. sorry
Thanx for your response Jason.

It's just one of those things that once you have had CUSTOM tunes you shouldn't want to go back to CANNED tunes unless its necessary.

That's what I was trying to convey to the OP.

Peace!

Old 09-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Contributor

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
at least Bully Dog Jason is being honest with us, and he's right for some people "canned" is enough and all they want

but once they go with a custom tune they'll never go back to "canned"

Old 09-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Former Sponsor
you guys are right.. If you have a custom tune there is no reason to go back.

unless your just looking for the digital gauge side of things.. then our watchdog unit does a good job of that.

Quick Reply: Xcal 3 vs. Bully Dog