Where did the power go?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 01:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did the power go?!

I installed an Edge Evolution, PN 85150, on my '05 F-150 5.4L April of this year. In addition to the Evolution, I've upgraded to an Air Raid CAI and a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust - around the same time frame. In reading the owner's manual with the Evolution, it reads that it is designed for a stock engine, and may not work properly with other aftermarket performance parts. I questioned that logic (thinking "who would install just a tuner") and contacted Edge Performance's tech support. I explained what upgrades I had accomplished, and they told me some owners have had problems, while most have not. I have since been operating in Level 3 running 91+ octane. Great performance up to this point, even towing 9,000# with no problems.

But beginning two days ago, for no rhyme or reason, my truck has been lacking power - as if only hitting on 7 cylinders. No DTCs have appeared, and all other gauges indicate normal operations. I've determined it's not drivetrain or brake / bearing related, either. I haven't performed a compression test yet. Truck is otherwise meticulously tuned.

Anyone have any possible solutions or ideas as to what is happening? Am I running too lean (piston damage)? Have any other owners experienced this? I've heard a custom tune is the way to go - ie. Gryphon - but I found this out only after I bought the Evolution. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. - Pete

Old 09-06-2010, 02:25 AM
glc
Received 775 Likes on 715 Posts
Level 3 with a CAI can be too lean. Have you returned it to stock and seen how it runs? You should NEVER NEVER tow over 2500# in Level 3! That's what Level 2 is for.

Now - thinking about this, the 05 5.4 has the leaky fuel injector issues. You may want to return it to stock and get it to a dealer to get that checked out. There's an extended warranty on the injectors.

When you get this sorted out, send in the Edge to PHP for a Gryphon upgrade and custom tunes.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:54 AM
Contributor

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
and you should never ever ever insall a CAI on a 3 valve motor without a custom tune

Old 09-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
and you should never ever ever insall a CAI on a 3 valve motor without a custom tune
Why? I have a cat back and was planning on adding a CAI then finish with a tuner.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 09-06-2010, 10:12 AM
New fuel filter... Custom tune...

Old 09-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Re-tuned to stock, and the power came back, to at least stock levels. Fuel filter 3 months old. No leaky injectors, although if there is an additional warranty available, I will investigate.

Just completed the order form through PHP for upgrading the Evo to a Gryphon w/ custom tunes based upon the aftermarket upgrades. Will be shipping the Evo tomorrow.

I filled out all of my CC information on PHP's order form, but a dollar amount was never indicated...The order form read my account will be charged once the order is processed.

Anybody know how much $$$ I just spent? Thanks for all of the feedback.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Contributor

why don't you call PHP?

and remove that CAI until you get the tune...

Old 09-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Contributor

also PM a moderator to merge your multiple threads

Old 09-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kep5niner
Re-tuned to stock, and the power came back, to at least stock levels. Fuel filter 3 months old. No leaky injectors, although if there is an additional warranty available, I will investigate.

Just completed the order form through PHP for upgrading the Evo to a Gryphon w/ custom tunes based upon the aftermarket upgrades. Will be shipping the Evo tomorrow.

I filled out all of my CC information on PHP's order form, but a dollar amount was never indicated...The order form read my account will be charged once the order is processed.

Anybody know how much $$$ I just spent? Thanks for all of the feedback.
Upgrade $25+$60 per tune+shipping.............
Take the CAI off until tunes arrive.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:59 AM

YMMV, greatly

I ran my 06 with a AEM until my tunes came in on level 2, no problems. Every truck is different so take that with a grain of salt.

popular idea here is 04-05 3V (lean) very bad to have CAI and no tune 06 (could be lean) risky 07+ not so bad? At least that's what I remember.

Remember, its your truck, and your money. You can get advice, or ignore it. You can keep it on, or take it off.

Personally I installed mine and left it on level 2 till I got my tunes, I was advised that was the best course of action by PHP if I was not going to take it off, they never said it would directly cause engine failure, nor did they say it would not.

In the end, do what you want it, you know your truck better than anyone here does, you know how it ran before and after. Just don't blame anyone (but you) if something goes wrong!

Towing heavy loads on level 3 is not a good idea, and thats coming from me. I hardly ever take a firm stance on anything.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Titan357
YMMV, greatly

I ran my 06 with a AEM until my tunes came in on level 2, no problems. Every truck is different so take that with a grain of salt.

popular idea here is 04-05 3V (lean) very bad to have CAI and no tune 06 (could be lean) risky 07+ not so bad? At least that's what I remember.

Remember, its your truck, and your money. You can get advice, or ignore it. You can keep it on, or take it off.

Personally I installed mine and left it on level 2 till I got my tunes, I was advised that was the best course of action by PHP if I was not going to take it off, they never said it would directly cause engine failure, nor did they say it would not.

In the end, do what you want it, you know your truck better than anyone here does, you know how it ran before and after. Just don't blame anyone (but you) if something goes wrong!

Towing heavy loads on level 3 is not a good idea, and thats coming from me. I hardly ever take a firm stance on anything.
If the OP is doing the upgrade then the custom tunes that they ordered should come back already preloaded on the Gryphon.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback Titan357 and 88racing. The Airaid stays put for now...the stock intake went out in the recycling bin the day after the Airaid was installed and operational (April). I ordered 3 tunes from PHP: Custom 87 Performance, Custom 91 Tow, and Custom 93 Performance. For my own education, why should you not tow in Custom 93 Performance (aka level 3)?

Right now I'm driving around in stock until the custom tunes arrive.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by kep5niner
Thanks for the feedback Titan357 and 88racing. The Airaid stays put for now...the stock intake went out in the recycling bin the day after the Airaid was installed and operational (April). I ordered 3 tunes from PHP: Custom 87 Performance, Custom 91 Tow, and Custom 93 Performance. For my own education, why should you not tow in Custom 93 Performance (aka level 3)?

Right now I'm driving around in stock until the custom tunes arrive.
Because level 3 creates torque at higher rpms for power on the top end, thus it would strain the transmission. Level 2 is for towing and it creates torque as you take off. PHP has advised to never tow over 2000 or 2500 lbs with a performance tune.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Because level 3 creates torque at higher rpms for power on the top end, thus it would strain the transmission. Level 2 is for towing and it creates torque as you take off. PHP has advised to never tow over 2000 or 2500 lbs with a performance tune.
Would like to add - L3 is a leaner tune and under the high loads incurred by towing will cause elevated EGT's, which can be very harmful to yer engine.

That is the primary reason why most tuners recommend avoiding heavy towing on a specifically craftee perf tune.

Additionally, most good tow-specific tunes reduce the WOT shift points and shift pressures to lessen shock on the drivetrain.

MGD

Quick Reply: Where did the power go?!