this seems to be a magnaflow oriented forum?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010 | 07:50 PM
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this seems to be a magnaflow oriented forum?

Why? 'm not tryin to get into a retarded argument about mufflers here, but why does everyone think magnaflow mufflers are better than flowsmasters? Anything ive see dyno wise showed the flows only made a few hp less than the mags, but also at a lower rpm, which to me would be better. And another thing, the mags all sound like farts from what ive watched! Personally, i want my v8 to sound good throughout the rpm band, not get to 4grand and here a bunch of farting popping noises!

Just wondering whats better about them. Considering im redoing my exhaust on my 75 f100 with a 390 next year. I'm gonna put some headers on and run dual 2.5" pipes with an x-pipe, and can't chose mufflers. I am leaning towards the super 10's from flowmaster and the thrush 40 series copy.....

INFO

Old 11-04-2010 | 07:53 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by nw150
Why? 'm not tryin to get into a retarded argument about mufflers here, but why does everyone think magnaflow mufflers are better than flowsmasters? Anything ive see dyno wise showed the flows only made a few hp less than the mags, but also at a lower rpm, which to me would be better. And another thing, the mags all sound like farts from what ive watched! Personally, i want my v8 to sound good throughout the rpm band, not get to 4grand and here a bunch of farting popping noises!

Just wondering whats better about them. Considering im redoing my exhaust on my 75 f100 with a 390 next year. I'm gonna put some headers on and run dual 2.5" pipes with an x-pipe, and can't chose mufflers. I am leaning towards the super 10's from flowmaster and the thrush 40 series copy.....

INFO
Hi!

No, sorry - can't say that I've noticed any such bias ...

Originally Posted by Superchips_Distributor
Hi Trriton 2,

Exhaust is really outside of the realm of this section of the boards, so you really need to give us a call to go over this in proper detail.

Though it's not an absolute must, yes, we do recommend getting rid of the "Slowmaster" muffler and replacing it with an appropriate Magnaflow unit - that will help to improve torque. Now exactly which muffler you use will depend on what kind of sound characteristics you want, so that's why you need to call, so we can go over all of that with you. It's not just length alone, for example.

What that Flowmaster setup is doing is actually *reducing* torque on part throttle at any rpm, and reducing torque below about 3000 rpm a at any throttle position - and that is due to all those silly baffles & chambers they use as part of their "sound engineering" - all they are is impediments to airflow, and slow down exhaust gas velocity, which is why you don't see much in the way of HP gains form them, and actually lose torque, especially in the lower rpm ranges. When it comes to torque, exhaust gas *velocity* is absolutely key.No, we will not need to change what we do in the tuning if you change to a different cat-back exhaust system or just do a muffler change like that - that will be fine.

Just give us a call to go over all the details & we'll help you get this taken care of.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-04-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-04-2010 | 09:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ So that is why they rattle like a paint cans. Thanks for the info MGD!

Old 11-04-2010 | 09:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^what happened to being a flowmaster guy? youve turned to the dark side!!

and IDK what your talking about magnaflows sound like popping farts my boss has one on his 2500 hemi and it sounds GOOD

Old 11-04-2010 | 11:29 PM
|
some of the setups ive heard sound like my glasspacks at the higher rpm range. it sounds like pure ****. I have nothing against magnaflow, other than that, unless someone came prove me wrong. If you post vids, go for it, but it cant be something new with cats and all that other junk thrown in to the exhaust. manifold/headers to pipes and mufflers is the only good sounding exhaust.

Old 11-04-2010 | 11:34 PM
|
When i look at a bullet, i see an overpriced glasspack. unless there is something that makes them unique, id rather spend $20-30 than $40+. I just want a good sounding exhaust for my 390, that doesnt have the cheap wide open throttle sound im gettin from my glasspacks right now...

Old 11-04-2010 | 11:55 PM
I've had a flowmaster for a while and I'm loving it. No loss in mileage and I'm pretty sure my power is the same because of my programmer's 1/4 mile results being the same from no muffler to flowmaster. If it has any reduction in power it is insignificant. I think the sound is really good and have had many complements. It makes no popping noises under any load or RPM. Heck, my stock exhaust would make rattling sounds very much unlike my flowmaster. But I think some of the popping comes from how the exhaust is routed. I had it hooked up really stupid for a while and it did make some funky sounds but once I ran the pipes right haven't had anything since. I've also heard crappy and good exhaust from all the makes and many YouTube videos sound like crud anyway. I dont think it depends as much as WHICH brand gets installed but HOW it is installed.

The quote of Superchips_Distributor is referring to back pressure caused by the muffler. Also notice he was trying to sell a new exhaust system to someone. I wasn't born yesterday and I've worked in many kinds of retail so I recognize a slight angle being used. From what I've read, the biggest amount of back pressure is from the catalytic converters and everything downstream is insignificant besides a potato or a clot of mud. That is why many people switch to the higher flow cats. I've also noticed the lack of tune adjustments when doing a cat back exhaust, regardless of brand. If you change to certain styles of headers or to high flow cats it is recommended to get custom tuning for them but not for a cat back system.

As for the "Slowmaster" name, it's nice but I think MagnaSlow is bit more catchy.

Last edited by Longshot270; 11-04-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2010 | 11:59 PM
I was in the same boat. Wanted a good rumble to my truck when I got on it but yet wanted something that doesnt drone while driving down the highway. For the record, my dad has Flowmasters on his 1500 Dodge Hemi. They sound good when you get on it but were way too loud and had a huge drone to them. I just put on a magnaflow on my 150 and was the best thing I did. Has a real good rumble while at idle and when you get on it, has that deep rumble to it. Especially at around 2000-3000 rpm's. Even my buddy who had flows on his 150 said it sounded a lot better than his. I recommend maybe a magnaflow straight through exhaust if you want a good tone.

Old 11-05-2010 | 02:04 AM
Originally Posted by Longshot270
I've had a flowmaster for a while and I'm loving it. No loss in mileage and I'm pretty sure my power is the same because of my programmer's 1/4 mile results being the same from no muffler to flowmaster. If it has any reduction in power it is insignificant. I think the sound is really good and have had many complements. It makes no popping noises under any load or RPM. Heck, my stock exhaust would make rattling sounds very much unlike my flowmaster. But I think some of the popping comes from how the exhaust is routed. I had it hooked up really stupid for a while and it did make some funky sounds but once I ran the pipes right haven't had anything since. I've also heard crappy and good exhaust from all the makes and many YouTube videos sound like crud anyway. I dont think it depends as much as WHICH brand gets installed but HOW it is installed.

The quote of Superchips_Distributor is referring to back pressure caused by the muffler. Also notice he was trying to sell a new exhaust system to someone. I wasn't born yesterday and I've worked in many kinds of retail so I recognize a slight angle being used. From what I've read, the biggest amount of back pressure is from the catalytic converters and everything downstream is insignificant besides a potato or a clot of mud. That is why many people switch to the higher flow cats. I've also noticed the lack of tune adjustments when doing a cat back exhaust, regardless of brand. If you change to certain styles of headers or to high flow cats it is recommended to get custom tuning for them but not for a cat back system.

As for the "Slowmaster" name, it's nice but I think MagnaSlow is bit more catchy.
I actually think Flowdisaster is more fitting....

I've heard several F150s with flowdisasters on them and I prefer the tone of my Magnaflow. Deeper and it doesnt have that "look at me" annoying grumble to it like the Flowdisaster does. By the way, backpressure is a myth. What brand of throttle body spacer do you use?

Old 11-05-2010 | 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by Longshot270

You think it was a sales pitch only?

Do you have any idea how much incredibly useful information this fellow has passed along on this site & others over the last 10+ years?

He tests EVERYTHING - EXHAUSTIVELY. Then he tests it SOME MORE. He LIVES on the dyno. He's one of the few that actually does know a thing or two or ten about performance - there are really only a handful that are as passionately dedicated to this. One of the reasons why he is so sought-after by industry & aftermarket representatives.

Anyone who's ever been to his shop for a dyno day, or a personal visit to get work done can attest to the above.

Simply put - you need to call him. Otherwise, yer talkin' through yer hat, yer own decidely uncontrolled testing aside.

To address a couple of yer comments:

As for cats - the stockers flow very well for OEM parts ( it's the OEM Y-pipe that's the real culprit here).

As for catbacks versus long-tubes w.r.t. tuning. The primary reason a tuning correction is required for longtubes ( most brands except Dynatech actually) is to compensate for the O2 transport delay incurred by the relocation of the O2 bungs & sensors. Yes, depending uopn what else was done upstream, there may also be some benefit to datalogging/corrections due to increased scanvenging, (largely attributable to the longtubes themselves, as long as no butt-plug of a muffler like Slows is also installed )

Put those two on yer list for when you call him. Just be prepared to listen. You WILL be blown away. and no - you don't have to buy anything.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-05-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-05-2010 | 07:21 AM
I can't speak for anyone else but for years I have had flowmaster UP UNTIL 9:30AM THIS MORNING at which time I'm switching to magnaflow. Why? The drone has taken my last nerve and grinded it to powder sugar.

Old 11-05-2010 | 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by nw150

INFO
I've had my si/do magnaflow (cat back system) on for about a week now. I have never heard anything related to what your saying here, only a nice deep rumble at idle and an aggressive performance sound when I give 'er hell. Zero drone when up to cruising speeds on the highway as well. I can't compare to flowmaster though as I've never had that system, but I'm more than happy with my magnaflow system. I can only imagine how nice it would sound if I were doing headers, x-pipe etc. like you.

Old 11-05-2010 | 09:12 AM
As both and owner of a straight through muffler (MBRP) and a chambered muffler (Flowmaster 40) I have to say that I felt no difference between the two in terms of acceleration and power. That's not to say that there isn't because, as an engineer, I believe in the dyno numbers in a controlled environment. But the average person probably won't be able to tell the difference. So basically it comes down to the sound you like.

My 40 sounded great for a while but all it is now is loud to me. Granted it's all personal preference because I still like the sound on other trucks and I still like the Tube clips of Flowmasters. But it's not for me anymore. My wife actually pulled out in the truck the other day and I remember thinking to myself that it sounded like a piece of crap. That's why a nine month old setup will be coming off shortly.

Old 11-05-2010 | 10:15 AM
Magnaflow is what I use

Old 11-05-2010 | 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by rllackey28
As both and owner of a straight through muffler (MBRP) and a chambered muffler (Flowmaster 40) I have to say that I felt no difference between the two in terms of acceleration and power. That's not to say that there isn't because, as an engineer, I believe in the dyno numbers in a controlled environment. But the average person probably won't be able to tell the difference. So basically it comes down to the sound you like.

My 40 sounded great for a while but all it is now is loud to me. Granted it's all personal preference because I still like the sound on other trucks and I still like the Tube clips of Flowmasters. But it's not for me anymore. My wife actually pulled out in the truck the other day and I remember thinking to myself that it sounded like a piece of crap. That's why a nine month old setup will be coming off shortly.
As an engineer, you'll understand this diagram:

--> + --> + --> + <-- = 2

--> + --> + --> + --> = 4

For some others, this may be more understandable:

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-05-2010 at 11:24 AM.

Quick Reply: this seems to be a magnaflow oriented forum?