Performance ?'s for 03 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance ?'s for 03 5.4

Ok, I have done a lot of searching and researching and I get conflicting answers. I am just trying to figure out what mods are most important, in what order. Especially, best bang for buck power and fuel economy. I have talked to a local performance shop and the owner there claims that the very first and best thing I can do is get rid of the cats and put in 2 high-flows. Then he says intake, tuner, throttle body, headers, lower gears, maybe e-fans and maf way down the road. He also claims that underdrive pullies would be worthless for me because they only help at high rpms. Any imput on this would be appreciated. Let me know if you agree with his ideas and if not, please explain.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:34 AM
A lot depends on what your wants are. How many miles on engine,gearing etc. will all help others chime in.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:45 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by J-man
Ok, I have done a lot of searching and researching and I get conflicting answers. I am just trying to figure out what mods are most important, in what order. Especially, best bang for buck power and fuel economy. I have talked to a local performance shop and the owner there claims that the very first and best thing I can do is get rid of the cats and put in 2 high-flows. Then he says intake, tuner, throttle body, headers, lower gears, maybe e-fans and maf way down the road. He also claims that underdrive pullies would be worthless for me because they only help at high rpms. Any imput on this would be appreciated. Let me know if you agree with his ideas and if not, please explain.
Purchasing a programmer that can have custom tunes would be a good first step.....

Old 02-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
... It's just that I have a very limited budget ($170)...
^^^

Sample threads/posts ( of several hundred):

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...haust-cai.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ot...n-exhaust.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/2386718-post16.html <== what NOT to do, lol

Sample combos - or roll yer own:

http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...ogno=Stage1-MT

http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...gno=Stage2-COP

Sample Contact info - also try VMP Tuning and PHP:

==> http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...link=contactus

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-22-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:49 AM
MGD.... thanks for the helpful links! As to the budget, that is what I had available right now, and I wanted to get a used tuner and I did ( superchips max micro tuner 1715 for $125). This thread is all about the future and how to plan my mods.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:20 AM
E-fans and a tuner, out of all the mods, were the best combo I've done. I think gears would make a big difference also but considering ur 4x4 thats an expensive option. I too have that microtuner but it causes pre-detonation and drives me nuts so I use it on 87 octane for the tranny changes. I had the K&n washoobi and noticed little to no difference in performance compared to GOTTS mod so unless you get a custom tune for it save your $$. LT's and high flow cats were a fun project but again a little expensive and LOTS of work. IMHO save all that money and blow it...on a blower

Old 02-22-2011, 01:39 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

the owner is an idiot, don't let him touch your truck

Old 02-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Thanks for explaining.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$170 is not going to get you anywhere. This is a very expensive game, with minimal increases in HP, unless your blown.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
mark VIII or mustang GT fan and a reliable controller can be done for 200

Old 02-22-2011, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by avfrog
$170 is not going to get you anywhere. This is a very expensive game, with minimal increases in HP, unless your blown.
Actually, $175 has so far gotten me the gott's mod and a tuner. I leveled the truck by myself for free, and my brother has a muffler sitting around that I will install next for free and maybe put a $25 dollar tip on at that time. So, that is basicly an intake, exhaust, tuner, and leveling kit for around $200. But Like I said before, I am trying to learn what will be best to do in the future when I have a job and maybe a little money to throw at the truck.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ Well that was very good use of $175.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by str8t six
mark VIII or mustang GT fan and a reliable controller can be done for 200
Thanks for this helpful tip! What kind of gains would I expect to see with this mod?

Old 02-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by avfrog
^ Well that was very good use of $175.
Thank you. If you are really hard up and you do some research, you can find good deals eventually! I have no intention or desire to create a cheapo redneck hack job truck, but untill I can aford to do some real mods, I had to have something!

Old 02-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for this helpful tip! What kind of gains would I expect to see with this mod?
https://www.f150online.com/forums/to...ng-e-fans.html

MGD

Quick Reply: Performance ?'s for 03 5.4