4.6L Windsor serpentine belt question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6L Windsor serpentine belt question

I recently had to replace my alternator because the charging system went bad on it, and the new one that Autozone has listed is an 8 groove belt/pulley system. So I get the 8 groove alternator to look at- the mounting matches perfectly, the only thing wrong is too many grooves. Sooooo... I have them show me the 6 groove so I can compare them, and no friggin way is this thing going to fit. So I settle for the 8 groove in the hope is wont saw the belt laterally- which it did, not because of the spare grooves, but because the grooves were literally sharp enough to cut your fingers on. So I get another one, and a new belt because its wasted now. The guy behind the computer tells me that "six groove belt you have is the wrong one" and proceeds to give me an 8 groove, which wont fit because all of my pulleys are 6 groove, so I hand it back and tell him that this will not go on my truck and demand the 6 groove back from him. I again review the alternators he has in stock and same story.

My question is this: Is there a stock 6 groove alternator out there that will fit my truck or do I have to change the pulley? Right now, the belt and alternator is doing fine, I just dont know what Im going to have to go though next time. Thanks!

Old 07-31-2011, 06:55 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
why didn't you change the pulley while you had it off???

Old 07-31-2011, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
why didn't you change the pulley while you had it off???
Never had to before, never gave it a thought. Is that the common practice?

Old 07-31-2011, 07:13 PM

yes, it's common practice along with common sense

Old 07-31-2011, 07:33 PM
Really? So it's common enough that I've never heard of doing that nor ever had to and the parts store has the wrong one listed? Must not be all THAT common. Thanks anyway.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:42 PM

have a nice day

Old 07-31-2011, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
have a nice day
already have

Old 08-01-2011, 07:02 AM
dont mess with the zone, take it and have it rebuilt, every city has a shop that specializes in alternator, generator etc. rebuilds. i did and saved a few bucks as well.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by luvmyfordalways
dont mess with the zone, take it and have it rebuilt, every city has a shop that specializes in alternator, generator etc. rebuilds. i did and saved a few bucks as well.
I would have, but got a brand new one with a warrantee which was a good thing because I had to change it while on the road. I have since been trying to find a 6 groove pulley and finally thought I found one because the picture showed a 6 groove and when it arrived, it was an 8. So I sent it back (not an autozone supplier). I figured maybe someone on here can tell me where to get those from, and perhaps answer why everyone's computers say I'm supposed to have an 8 groove system, which I don't. (without the previous sarcasm of course)

Old 08-02-2011, 05:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an 03 5.4. Most are 8 grove pulleys, mine came from the factory with 6 rib!!
Just one of them things you have to deal with.

Now that you have the new alternator, probably the best thing to do is just change the pulley to a 6 rib yourself.

Quick Reply: 4.6L Windsor serpentine belt question