what size rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what size rims

i really value everyones opinion on here so im looking for answers. im in the process of trying to sell my 22s and going to get new rims but i keep going back and forth between 18s and 20s. i want black rims.

please give me you opinions on rims size, type, tire model and size.

greatly appreciated!

photo of my truck for reference

Old 12-29-2013, 07:27 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hiya Matt!

Still deciding, eh?

Me likey these: https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...-fx2-pics.html

Twankies be the ticket - 18's look too small an redneckky wif big meats ( oh, am I gonna catch it fer that, lol!)

Additonally, Rockstars and Monsters are so overplayed it's ridiculous. More common than Timmie's

The only other ones I like are the factory 20's you were looking at earlier. - in black.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:26 PM
so ive determined that the wheels im going with are the WORX 803
http://rimzoneonline.com/wheels/worx...2935sb-25.html

now tires are where im having an issue. i cant go with M/Ts as they are out of my price range and dont come in the size im going with.
ive chosen to go with a 275/60 R20

im looking at one of these 3:
-nitto terra grappler
-toyo open country at ll
-firestone destination at

what would be the best choice for an all year tire?

last would i be fine going with a 'P' rated tire or should it be 'LT' rated?

thanks in advance!

Old 01-04-2014, 01:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FX4Matt
so ive determined that the wheels im going with are the WORX 803
http://rimzoneonline.com/wheels/worx...2935sb-25.html

now tires are where im having an issue. i cant go with M/Ts as they are out of my price range and dont come in the size im going with.
ive chosen to go with a 275/60 R20

im looking at one of these 3:
-nitto terra grappler
-toyo open country at ll
-firestone destination at

what would be the best choice for an all year tire?

last would i be fine going with a 'P' rated tire or should it be 'LT' rated?

thanks in advance!
Personally I have always felt that all light trucks, excluding small or medium size, should have LT tires. P series are at the limit of their load carrying ability on full size pickups. Also, the sidewall strength is marginal when it comes to cornering and handling. They are also no where near as strong when it comes to the tread. More blowouts and flats when used in harsh conditions. That being said many do not like the ride of the LT, even load range C tires. Also many of the LT tire sizes used on the F150 are load range D or E tires which are really overkill for it. Way over the load carrying ability the F150 needs, even double. So if you do go with a P series, make sure at a minimum it handles 2200lbs at its max pressure, and make sure you use at least 35 psi, where it handles the most weight. Anything over just helps sidewall strength. Or look for an extra load P series that will handle its max weight at 41 psi. Also if you tow, especially a large boat or any kind of camper, go with an LT tire, even if you have to go with a LR E. You will then need to figure the proper pressure for the safest and most comfortable ride, probably 45-50 psi depending upon the tire.

Last edited by kingfish51; 01-04-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:58 PM
changed my mind once again. i think now i want to go with 18s

im liking the moto metal 961s for simple 6 spoke design and they come with red inserts which i think will look good on my truck with it having the red accents

for tires im looking at either:
-goodyear duratrac
-general grabber at2

both size lt275/70 r18

Old 01-05-2014, 05:19 PM
changed my mind once again. i think now i want to go with 18s

im liking the moto metal 961s for simple 6 spoke design and they come with red inserts which i think will look good on my truck with it having the red accents

for tires im looking at either:
-goodyear duratrac
-general grabber at2

both size lt275/70 r18
Of course you have - yer only 19 !!!

Matt - add Cooper Discovery AT3's and Cooper Zeon LTZ's and Cooper ST Maxx to yer list ( sorry - haven't check sizing availability fer the first two )

BTW - Red inserts? Ummm... NO. That's ghey, son. Somethin' ol' KMACsausagelover wud do ...

MGD

Old 01-05-2014, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
BTW - Red inserts? Ummm... NO. That's ghey, son.
ya thought it would look good but then did a little more looking and realized it looked kinda cheesy

its so hard to find rims that i think look good. no matter what i keep going back to xd monsters.

i know they are popular but i just keep thinking that they are the ones that would look the best

Old 01-05-2014, 06:43 PM
ya thought it would look good but then did a little more looking and realized it looked kinda cheesy

its so hard to find rims that i think look good. no matter what i keep going back to xd monsters.

i know they are popular but i just keep thinking that they are the ones that would look the best
Roger that.

At the end of the day, you have to do what makes YOU happy. And if that is spelled "Monster", then so be it.

Hell, Matt - yer truck looks so good in person, anything you put on there is gonna be awesome.

Good luck buddy - yer doing it right; taking yer time, doing the research, weighing the options, and asking lots of questions. An example I wish more young folks would follow.

Well done!

EDIT: By the way, Happy Belated Birthday!!! Dang - sorry I missed that earlier!

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-05-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:38 PM

BTW - Red inserts? Ummm... NO. That's ghey, son. Somethin' ol' KMACsausagelover wud do ...
That is NOT something I would do, thank you very much. I even took the red out of my 2012 badges

If I asked one than one question, you'd tell me I was indecisive

Good luck, Matt. I'm still keeping up with what you decide. Figured you were my age

Old 01-05-2014, 10:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I prefer 20s on all 2004+ trucks. Just filling looking sized wheels, not rims, on these trucks.

My 20" XD Monsters with 33x12.5/20 Toyo M/Ts.
Name:  IMG_20130526_083510_330_zps20a3477e.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  108.4 KB

Currently with 34s ( 295/60-20 Trail Grapplers )

Additonally, Rockstars and Monsters are so overplayed it's ridiculous. More common than Timmie's
I agree, oddly enough . In my defense, I bought mine in 2009, right before they became over-played

Old 01-06-2014, 10:13 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Hiya, Matt!

I have the Cooper ST Maxx in the size you mentioned above (275/70/18), and so far, they're great! I've never had a set of Coopers treat me wrong. In fact, they always impress me in just aboot e'ry trait a feller looks fer inna tahr.

These'n's? They's tuffer'n a coon's ayss! Had me a li'l mishap aboot a yurr ago whut wudda made ary other'n's 'splode lahk a berl onna dawg's pekker. These'n's hyur jist keeps own a-truckin'!

Coopers be the ticket, aight? Although, I heer tell ol' man Toyo makes a raght smart'n. AT2, 'at is. Ah reckon 'em Chinamens is a-comin' a raght fur piece whut wiff tahrs 'n sichy.

Good luck thar, yungin! Let us know everwhut ye decide.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:43 PM
Hey guys, just thought I'd post an update. I've decided to hold off on getting new rims and tires as I found the setup I really want is too far out of my range for this point and time. I plan on upgrading once the tires I'm running now need replacing. Going to use the money I was saving for rims and tires towards a kc light bar and lights or something along those lines.
Thanks for all your guys' help and I'll post for more advice on rims and tires when the time comes!

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Quick Reply: what size rims