Old 03-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heres a few pics of the tip

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Did you use a flat black paint, or did you use gloss and the gloss has kinda worn off? I wouldn't mind some gloss or semi-gloss black tips...

Old 03-30-2008, 08:13 PM
nice... looks pretty good... i mite do that myself

Old 03-30-2008, 08:51 PM
i used high temp flat black. the discoloration in the pics is from water and dirt kicking up from the tire

Old 03-30-2008, 11:06 PM
I bought some powder coated black tips once from an exhaust place. They looked bad as hell on the truck but after a month or so the paint started coming off.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by BLACKOUT-FX4
i used high temp flat black. the discoloration in the pics is from water and dirt kicking up from the tire
Do they sell a semi-gloss black? And do you reckon they would stay glossy, or should I just stick with a flat black?

Old 03-31-2008, 12:05 AM
Take the exhaust tips and get them black chromed. I got all the chrome badges on the wifes car Black Chromed and they came out fantastic. They come out almost semi gloss.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by RHD150
Take the exhaust tips and get them black chromed. I got all the chrome badges on the wifes car Black Chromed and they came out fantastic. They come out almost semi gloss.
Can I do this myself? Or do I need to take them somewhere? If I need to take them somewhere, where would I take it and how much?

Old 03-31-2008, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by GrifN
Do they sell a semi-gloss black? And do you reckon they would stay glossy, or should I just stick with a flat black?
i just looked at the paint can and its semi-gloss high temp black. i thought it was flat. i have had the tip on for about 2 months and no problems with fading or peeling. its just real hard to keep it clean! make sure to use a scothch brite RED pad to scuff it up. then i used 3 light coats of duplicolor adhesion promoter for a primer(im not sure how well the black paint will stick without the primer)then i put 3 coats of high temp semi-gloss black paint. i put the tip on a broom stick handle to make it easier to paint all the way around it without touching it

Old 03-31-2008, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by BLACKOUT-FX4
i just looked at the paint can and its semi-gloss high temp black. i thought it was flat. i have had the tip on for about 2 months and no problems with fading or peeling. its just real hard to keep it clean! make sure to use a scothch brite RED pad to scuff it up. then i used 3 light coats of duplicolor adhesion promoter for a primer(im not sure how well the black paint will stick without the primer)then i put 3 coats of high temp semi-gloss black paint. i put the tip on a broom stick handle to make it easier to paint all the way around it without touching it
Thanks for the tips! While the black chrome idea would be pretty cool, I'm not sure that is in the budget. Right now, I'm just looking for some unique, easy, cheap-ish mods (i.e., badges/decals, the console 60/40 seat/console swap (someone on here took a center console, as well as the overhead console from an Expy, since parts between the F150 and Expy's are all pretty much shared and interchangable), etc). The only thing I can really "afford" to spend money on is a sound system, and that's just because I love doing that stuff; I probably can't AFFORD it per-say, but it's going to get done anyway. Hell, I'll just eat milk, bread, and eggs for a couple weeks so I can afford my sound system.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:57 AM
I've also painted my "tips" (more like the tail pipe, but it's all the same.) As Blackout said, the hardest part is keeping it clean. And even though it's semi-gloss, it still looks rather flat, at least on mine. I think it's a nice, cheap alternative to black chrome. Mine has stayed black now for a couple months. And if it starts to chip, you can just respray it.

For mine, I've also spray painted basically everything that can be seen from behind with Rust Olem paint. Makes everything look nice and sharp.

Here's my Expy:

And here's my dad's:

Quick Reply: Black Exhaust Tip?