Brush Guard / Grill Guard / Bull Bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008 | 09:31 PM
|
Brush Guard / Grill Guard / Bull Bar

I've got a 2007 FX4, and I've been looking for a brush guard since I got it. I had a '97 before, with a Manik that attached directly to the frame and was pre-drilled for two lights. It was a sturdy all black powered coated piece I liked a lot, I got the one piece welded. It was even rated for a 7k winch on it (which I didn't do).

For my 2007, the options seem to all be, well, lame. With the new hood including the grill they sit far away or tilt, and use absolutely lame brackets often just attaching to the bumper. While I don't expect it to save me in a crash with my old one I thought nothing of bumping into a wall in a parking garage while parking, but with the ones I've seen I think that would bend them.

So where can I get a quality, black paint/powder coat grill guard/bull bar that I can bump into something with and might hold 2 lights, or even 4 lights? Is it just a lost cause with the new designs?

Old 10-31-2008 | 10:20 PM
I have a ranchhand brushguard and I like it a lot...
Name:  Clean4.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  14.0 KB
Name:  RH1.jpg
Views: 3959
Size:  91.9 KB
Name:  RH2.jpg
Views: 1465
Size:  101.2 KB
www.ranchhand.com

Old 11-01-2008 | 09:53 PM
|
Originally Posted by Jaho1979
I have a ranchhand brushguard and I like it a lot...
Now, that looks like a huge step in the right direction. I don't see anywhere to mount any lights on it though, which is a bit of a bummer. I'll keep that in mind though.

Old 11-01-2008 | 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by bicknell
Now, that looks like a huge step in the right direction. I don't see anywhere to mount any lights on it though, which is a bit of a bummer. I'll keep that in mind though.
Lights could be mounted along the bottom bar if you are dead set on lights...just a thought.

Ranchhand doesn't pre-drill for lights though.

Old 11-02-2008 | 07:26 PM
Westin sportsman one piece on my truck, I like the way it looks, dont know how well it would handle small impact, hope to not find out

Old 11-02-2008 | 09:01 PM
I've tapped into a couple of things with my brush guard (shopping carts, parking lot light pole, my bros rear bumper on his chevy) and have no damage. I wish I knew the brand of mine, I can't remember. I got it off ebay for around $250 brand new and had it sprayed w/line-x. Mine tilts which is a really nice feature when washing the truck. I also like mine cause it has 4 bars protecting the headlights rather than 3, which just about every other brush guard that i've seen for 04-08 f150s has.

Old 11-03-2008 | 12:25 PM
|
Originally Posted by 2006M50B
Westin sportsman one piece on my truck, I like the way it looks, dont know how well it would handle small impact, hope to not find out
That's the right look, but I believe the Sportman is one that requires removing the tow hooks, which seems not so useful.

Why is this so hard?

Old 11-03-2008 | 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by ace7337
I've tapped into a couple of things with my brush guard (shopping carts, parking lot light pole, my bros rear bumper on his chevy) and have no damage. I wish I knew the brand of mine, I can't remember. I got it off ebay for around $250 brand new and had it sprayed w/line-x. Mine tilts which is a really nice feature when washing the truck. I also like mine cause it has 4 bars protecting the headlights rather than 3, which just about every other brush guard that i've seen for 04-08 f150s has.

Good idea on getting it Line-X'ed. My buddy has a black brush guard on his 2005 FX4 and it is starting to rust over the past couple years.

Old 11-03-2008 | 07:11 PM
I second the ranch hand...my buddy has one on his truck and he can run over small trees and hit fences open no big deal...They are well made and the way they connect to the truck on the frame makes it secure and very sturdy...Also about the lights ranch hand has an accessory that you can buy that will allow you to attach lights. Its the next thing im doing to my truck

Old 11-03-2008 | 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by bicknell
That's the right look, but I believe the Sportman is one that requires removing the tow hooks, which seems not so useful.

Why is this so hard?
I still have my tow hooks on
To install the brush guard the lower brackets are mounted directly to the frame where the tow hooks are, take the towhooks off, put bracket on, followed by towhook and put bolts back on. Tow hooks are still on, just maybe 1/2"-3/4" lower but they are still there and if I remember correctly it even came with longer bolts to do this-I dont remember though

here is the brush guard I have and the link for where I got it
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...w=1&N=700+150+

--Not sure why it says the towhooks have to be removed but it works with the towhooks and they are still just as useable

Old 11-03-2008 | 08:13 PM
Suspended
you can always add lights to any light bar. just drill the holes and tap them and run the wiring thru the bar and out under neath the truck. ameration's guard is the best IMO. looks really tough

Old 11-04-2008 | 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by ace7337
If you got it off Ebay for that cheap... I'm guessing it's a Hunter brush guard. It looks like one anyway. I bought my Hunter brush guard from a company off Ebay for the same price new.

Old 11-04-2008 | 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
you can always add lights to any light bar. just drill the holes and tap them and run the wiring thru the bar and out under neath the truck. ameration's guard is the best IMO. looks really tough
I do not have a guard or bull bar on my truck. Those pics were from ace7337's truck posted above.

Here is mine.

Old 11-04-2008 | 10:37 AM
The Ranchand looks beefy.

How about an entire front bumper replacement with an attached front grill guard?

Make you own or have it welded up based on your design.

My Grill guard is a S.S. Westin from a late model Dodge Truck. I made some new brackets that mount to the frame out of 1/4" thick angle iron that bolt to the tow hook location. I also added a large plate and braces between the frame rails and grill guard to mount a winch in the future.

Total cost
$125 for used S.S. Westin grill guard (from body shop - got scratched during fender bender)
$100 in metal work for brackets and winch plate
$10 to spray paint new steel mounting brackets and winch plate

Having a stout s.s. grill guard, that mounts a winch, that is like no one else's.....priceless.

My suggestion use your imagination......and beware of light weight "beauty bars".

Also, you can fix the problem about mounting lights on any grill guard with a drill bit and a drill.

Old 11-04-2008 | 08:43 PM
Thanks for the compliments!

Originally Posted by MudTerrain
If you got it off Ebay for that cheap... I'm guessing it's a Hunter brush guard. It looks like one anyway. I bought my Hunter brush guard from a company off Ebay for the same price new.
Its not a Hunter... I just found it on ebay, except this auction is for a chrome one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Grill...mZ380017652357

Quick Reply: Brush Guard / Grill Guard / Bull Bar